Gibson Brands Forums

Shoot! I thought Gibsons were expensive

RudyH

I just read a couple of reviews about PRS guitars. One was over $7K and the other was almost $5K. Wow! I'd be interesting in knowing from people with experience with such high priced guitars whether it's worth it. There must be diminishing returns somewhere. If it were me and I had that kind of money to spend I'd probably spend it on a true custom or a vintage.

Some people want perfection (and can afford it) or, like Carlos Santana are looking for an elusive "something."

Then, once someone like Carlos starts using a PRS, lots of fans want what their heroes are playing. Some can afford it.

I always appreciated that Jimmie Vaughan uses an off the rack Mexican Strat with a couple wiring tweaks and a neck shape he likes.

'Course, I don't want to sound like Jimmie Vaughan.

I traded into about a $1,000 (used: more like $2K new) PRS Hollowbody II once and used it for a while. Nice enough guitar, but I grew up with old school American brands so am happy with Les Paul Studios, etc. More sack, and the frets are almost as good. I don' need no bird inlays on my ax.

I have played a few PRS's in my time. I think they are over priced. They are nice guitars, well made, but

they dont really do anything special that would justify the price. I hear they are moving to a bigger factory

which means more output, which means lower prices....in theory.

PRS wanted his guitars to sound like a Les Paul.....I eliminated the middle man and got the Les Paul.

I played a POS for a time. There really is no comparison to an LP. It kind of feels like a toy in my hands. Don't get me wrong, great sounding guitar, but you can get the sound, and better with nicer comfort from an LP. They're almost boutique guitars in some ways.

Wow! I do like this though.

I never owned a PRS but I've played a bunch of them in stores. I think that their quality control is the best in the business (Taylor is the acoustic equivalent in terms of QC). I like how they play, but their sound is not for me.

have to say some of this reminds me of working a Nickelback show, way back in 2001... Pre lawsuit gibson lawsuit. Chad with Nickelback was using a PRS, Default their opening band and Saliva (playing between them) were 100% gibson... I was asked to cart a direct from factory to the venue for Default PRS single cutaway... After this show, i started to see Chad with Les Pauls... and honestly everyone who played a Les Paul that night had better tone...

have to say some of this reminds me of working a Nickelback show' date=' way back in 2001... Pre lawsuit gibson lawsuit. Chad with Nickelback was using a PRS, Default their opening band and Saliva (playing between them) were 100% gibson... I was asked to cart a direct from factory to the venue for Default PRS single cutaway... After this show, i started to see Chad with Les Pauls... and honestly everyone who played a Les Paul that night had better tone...[/quote']

Chad used Gibson and PRS throughout tour of their first Road Runner records disc The State. Even before they were signed though, his main was a PRS McCarty and backup was a Les Paul. Live however he only uses PRS electrics as he's fully endorsed by them.

Mark Tremonti of Creed also used to use Gibson's up until the recording of their second disc, Human Clay. From than on the bastard only used PRS.

homz' date=' you frequent the Indy GC? you should let me know when you're there sometime.[/quote']

I usually go on Friday mornings or if I can put up with a bunch of kids I'll go on Saturday. I'll drop you an e mail the day before my next pilgrimage.

Archived