Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone cases

mirrorboy

They look nice when they are new but they soon look shabby if you don't take extreme care. It's almost as if you need a case to put the case in.

many examples of that exact same statement on eBay. Unfortunately looks are deceptive when it comes to cases. I find it always worth spending the money and making it an investment, as it quite is protecting an investment :)

....they soon look shabby if you don't take extreme care.

Every mark on the case is one that is not on your guitar.

Of course you could go with a "molded" case.....or....

you could move up to leather instead of Tolex for $200. or....

Flight cases are practically indestructible for another $70 more.

Anyway, what you say is true. That's why I'm careful with the several I use.

After years of traveling with some of them, I touch them up every so often.

Nothing a bit of glue and a magic marker can't solve.

Some just call it character.

Willy

The thing about the Epi Cases is really about the cosmetics isn't it?

Structure wise, they are fairly sound with the possible exception where the lid doesn't line up you have to fiddle with it to get it to close. (careless production QA standards IMO).

The covering does not take the beating a USA Gibson, or Fender case will, they are prone to showing wear from bumping in to door jams and other little incidents that the Gibson and Fender cases can withstand.

but, then again, we're talking about a case that costs less than 100 bucks new, verses almost twice that for a fender, and over 3x the cost of a Gibson USA case and it still "does it job".

I've got nothing against fair wear and tear, but instant shabbiness just screams 'cheap' to me.

I paid £69 for my Epi 339 case. I got a case for my Epi LP with heavy duty mock croc covering for £49. The disparity in quality obviously indicates to me that the Epi cases are lacking in value. This is a shame when the only alternative for a 339 case is the monstrously expensive one by Gibson.

For me... my days of gigging are over so my cases see little action other than being put and pulled out from under the bed. That being said, the E'Reg that should have coming in a week, its case should stay in decent shape. :)

Ultimately, so long as the case takes the beating and not the E'Reg, then I'm good. :)

Archived