Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Californiaman

Old School Silverstone Amplifiers

If you are speaking of Silvertone amps, yes...

I have my original 1481 that I got from Sears for my 12 th birthday, along with a bronze and white 1300 Silvertone guitar made by Danolectro for Sears...Dolphin headstock, single lipstick PU.Amazing how the value of both of these items have risen over the last few years...spurred on by nostalgia and guys like Jack White playing them.

The guitar is still pretty funky, I always loved the tone(s) you can squeeze out of it.

The amp...well, I seen the1481 touted as being on par with a vintage Champ......Nah, no way, but It is still a good little practice amp and also a decent studio amp...it's not going to cut it playing out even in the smallest venue.I have kept both amp and guitar since 1963 since my parents sacrificed to buy me them.

They were relatively inexpensive compared to a Fender or Gibson but still a financial stretch for my parents at the time...

Hardy little sucker too...original tubes, original everything...there has been 5 year stretches where it hasnt been fired up...but it's always ready to go when the switch is clicked.

Well, no, not really.

American made, yes.

Well built?

Rugged?

NEVER BROKE DOWN??

Ummm...no. I mean a big, fat, HUGE no.

Not just talking about the cardbaord(like) cabs.

The truth is, they broke down often. The reason they broke down often is they used really cheap parts.

Not attacking your taste or how well they might have worked for you for a time. Rather, in contrast to your experience, the world used to be full of burnt up, broken down Silvertone chassis that did NOT work because they were cheap, not good.

I don't doubt that there was a dark time when the silvertone herd was culled. Be that as it may. For 2 years we beat the sh!t out of those 2 Silvertones constantly on the road up and down the west coast - guitar player liked his Fender Bassmans (he had 2 because one or the other was always busted). Both Fenders consistently broke down and weighed a ton.

Like I said, we used 2 old *** tube Silvertones, and neither ever once broke down. Those same 2 amps were used in the band before us, did double duty in another band the same time as us, and are now used in still another band today. I'm pretty sure those 2 amps have been in reliable service for 10+ years. They get cranked 3-4 nights every week for gigs & rehearsals in town, 6-7 on the road.

That's a better track record - by far - than any vintage Fender amp I've ever worked with. Blackface, silverface, you name it. To say we abused our equipment would be an understatement ... smashed guitars, broken drums, cracked cymbals, but the silvertones hung tough no matter what we did to them.

1427349686[/url]' post='1643732']

I don't doubt that there was a dark time when the silvertone herd was culled. Be that as it may. For 2 years we beat the sh!t out of those 2 Silvertones constantly on the road up and down the west coast - guitar player liked his Fender Bassmans (he had 2 because one or the other was always busted). Both Fenders consistently broke down and weighed a ton.

Like I said, we used 2 old *** tube Silvertones, and neither ever once broke down. Those same 2 amps were used in the band before us, did double duty in another band the same time as us, and are now used in still another band today. I'm pretty sure those 2 amps have been in reliable service for 10+ years. They get cranked 3-4 nights every week for gigs & rehearsals in town, 6-7 on the road.

That's a better track record - by far - than any vintage Fender amp I've ever worked with. Blackface, silverface, you name it. To say we abused our equipment would be an understatement ... smashed guitars, broken drums, cracked cymbals, but the silvertones hung tough no matter what we did to them.

So essentially what you are saying the Silvertones took a licking and kept on ticking?

That's a pretty good testimonial considering their war record and action you described they've seen.Hoo-ah!My little 1481 saw a few minor skirmishes at the DAV and The Ted Mack Original Amatuer Hour audition, jr.high dances, etc.and held up quite well.

My main amps when playing bar gigs later on in life were my 69 Silverface Bandmaster reverb and my 80 Music man 210 75 rp.Both amps had the snot beat out of them and never quit on me.

I just want to be clear about a few things regarding my pending acquisition of the two above mentioned amplifiers and the 6x10 jensen speaker cabinet...

They're free or as free as they can be, I have to drive to Lake Tahoe to pick them up.

My buddy is cleaning house and owes me a debt. So... he's giving them to me to clear the books.

Hey, I think that's great. I've played through them before and they sound good. I didn't use the reverb, nor do I plan to do so.

I'm looking forward to a different tone, sound, vibe—you know what I mean. That's why I like different amplifiers. They all have their own personality.

There's nothing wrong with a SIlvertone Amp. If there was, there wouldn't be people manufacturing little stomp boxes trying to recreate that sound.

Jack White, Dave Growl and others wouldn't be touting them as well.

So frankly, I don't give a rats rear end if you like the amplifier or not. I know what I'm getting.

Hey... did you know that when they first came out all of the amps featured RCA Tubes. Yeah... top of the line. Try and buy four 6L6 RCA tubes and see how much you're going to spend today.

Anyway,

Rock on my brothers and sisters.

I just want to be clear about a few things regarding my pending acquisition of the two above mentioned amplifiers and the 6x10 jensen speaker cabinet...

They're free or as free as they can be, I have to drive to Lake Tahoe to pick them up.

My buddy is cleaning house and owes me a debt. So... he's giving them to me to clear the books.

Hey, I think that's great. I've played through them before and they sound good. I didn't use the reverb, nor do I plan to do so.

I'm looking forward to a different tone, sound, vibe—you know what I mean. That's why I like different amplifiers. They all have their own personality.

There's nothing wrong with a SIlvertone Amp. If there was, there wouldn't be people manufacturing little stomp boxes trying to recreate that sound.

Jack White, Dave Growl and others wouldn't be touting them as well.

So frankly, I don't give a rats rear end if you like the amplifier or not. I know what I'm getting.

Hey... did you know that when they first came out all of the amps featured RCA Tubes. Yeah... top of the line. Try and buy four 6L6 RCA tubes and see how much you're going to spend today.

Anyway,

Rock on my brothers and sisters.

Oh dear. I am NOT against you.

Personally, I think the whole deal is cool.

Also, I have a great deal of respect for the deal, because whatever "perceived" value is in the amp, clearing up a debt, making the effort, that's worth something- more than money.

Oh..and who said JENSEN!!!

And dude, sir: I am all for cheap amps. They CAN be fun, for a lot of reasons.

But if you end up with 6 10" Jensens and 4 good RCA 6L6's, that puts you in a real, real good spot to be scouring the bay for Bassman chasis'.

Yeah, the Jensen's are a real kick. I mean where else are you going to find 60 inches of Vintage Jensen Sound.

And if the cabinet ever falls apart because it's mdf or particle board, I'm sure they will sound even better in a new cabinet.

My bash on the naysayers is more out of frustration. I could have said I'm getting a '59 Les Paul and someone would have poopoo'd it.

Haven't found one yet but when I do I have something to go with it. A 1972 Sears Mosrite Slider in pretty much original condition with no missing parts. Looks like it has a Brazilian fretboard and is more fun than a frog in a glass of milk when set up properly. Found it in a pawn shop for $75.

SearsMosriteSlider_zpslqex649y.jpg

My bash on the naysayers is more out of frustration. I could have said I'm getting a '59 Les Paul and someone would have poopoo'd it.

It's guitars and amps. We don't and can't all use the same thing. I'm sure there's a few dozen things in my house you had bad experiences with and are quite welcome to hate, it won't change what I use. As the first, I think, naysayer in this thread, I say nay only out of experience. Buy whatever you like, use it, and don't worry about what others think or say.

And ten(10) pristine '59 Les Pauls aren't worth what they would want for one(1) beat up example in a Montgomery Ward case.

How's that for PooPoo?

rct

It's all good and just part of the grand tonal journey to Rock-n-Roll Nirvana.

Hey... I think that's great.

I've got three different amplifiers a couple more isn't going to hurt.

So essentially what you are saying the Silvertones took a licking and kept on ticking?

More than that - they always sounded awesome, their power was underrated, they were ultra light (yet stood up to our abuse + 2 other bands, 4-6 nights/week for over 10 years straight), and outstripped the much-ballyhooed vintage Fender Bassmans in reliability. Our only complaint was that we didn't have more of them so we could leave the other (ridiculously heavy and less reliable) amps behind for gigs and hitting the road. As someone else mentioned they were made with really good speakers and tubes, too.