Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Epiphone ES-339 Pro

RevDavidLee

Here's a definite "yup" to current Epis being nice instruments. Frankly I'd say that about even the low-end price tags, although I retain a degree of question about the curing of Epi woods compared to what I would hope from a Gibson.

Thing is, every guitar type is somewhat different. I'd have no interest at all in the smaller body ES guitars - but then again, I have no interest in a larger-body archtop than a 175 or Joe Pass.

OTOH, I'd personally also be careful in praising "great setup outa the box" and fret "teeth" sticking outa the neck. That's because too much can happen to setup and/or fingerboard v frets in transportation. Yup, it ain't being critical of the instruments at all, since wood isn't a solid piece of steel or whatever.

My guess is that the low-end Gibsons are for those who want a Gibson regardless. Nothing against that here. OTOH, even a mid-range (1500-3000 US) Gibson doesn't do anything to an audience that a $500 (with case) to $1100 US Epi can't do as well. Never heard an audience suggest a player or band sounds bad because of guitar brand. And I happen in general to like the Gibson/Epi concept of guitar compared to other marques. I'd much prefer an Epi Masterbuilt, for example, to about any Taylor regardless of price tag. (Although I'd love a 24 3/4 scale Masterbuilt in the same "shape" as a PR5e))

m

Need a new PA at this point - and I'm looking at some options.

Dumped my 100 watt ss with 10-inch speakers. Started getting heavy. So... looking at lighter alternatives.

So... <sigh>

That's gonna run more than a new Epi 175 Premier... or Joe Pass... or fancier were I to have the coin.

Work is starting to get interesting this time of year... gettin' back to Rodeo Season and 80 'stedda 70-hour weeks. <grin> So I'm more likely to need a PA for this or that sorta event. Working on getting local historic preservation commission back on line after folks let it drop... and kinda ditto local museum foundation... and with reference to only living once... I hope I live long enough to get just that latter stuff rebuilt.

m

I've got that 56 Lester in blue and it's just fabulous.

I don't know what the thinking over at Gibson/Epiphone is right now, but if they're trying to blow the competition from Fender/Squier out if the water, they've succeeded

I will say that there have been a couple of nice Modern Player guitars out of Fender in the same price range as the current crop of Epiphones, but penny for penny the Epis are simply better built and better sounding guitars than almost anything Fender/Squier is putting out.

I will say that when the 2015 Gibsons were announced, the left over lower end non-robotic 2013s were heavily discounted and I leapt at a LP Studio, as well as a LP 50's tribute which also comes with soap bar P90s. The Studio is good but not great, the 50s tribute came with fret ends so sharp you could take a finger off if you weren't careful, and across the entire fretboard they were also way high.

By contrast the Epis I have purchased in the last couple of years, acoustic as well as electric,have been uniformly fine guitars. Not always sounding the way I like, but still fine guitars and almost perfectly set up each time.

The TV Pelham Blue ES355, the LP Florentine PRO (again with those soap bar P90s), and LP 56 have all been outstanding guitars. Not once have I ever picked one of them up and wished for the Gibson version of same.

And I am still thinking about that ES339 P90 PRO as well.

You've just about got me sold Rev...

Just don't touch one & you'll be fine. [biggrin]

Need a new PA at this point - and I'm looking at some options.

Dumped my 100 watt ss with 10-inch speakers. Started getting heavy. So... looking at lighter alternatives.

So... <sigh>

That's gonna run more than a new Epi 175 Premier... or Joe Pass... or fancier were I to have the coin.

Work is starting to get interesting this time of year... gettin' back to Rodeo Season and 80 'stedda 70-hour weeks. <grin> So I'm more likely to need a PA for this or that sorta event. Working on getting local historic preservation commission back on line after folks let it drop... and kinda ditto local museum foundation... and with reference to only living once... I hope I live long enough to get just that latter stuff rebuilt.

m

I hope you live a longer time than that milod. We need a guy like you to settle us down when we get all worked up out here. [smile]

Archived