Gibson Brands Forums

NGD-J15

matalie

I have been looking for another acoustic and really wanted a lifetime guitar, not one that would just come and go like so many have before.

This is my first Gibson and I have to say, it is like no other guitar I have ever owned. Between the short scale and nitro finish, it is truly unique. Love the unique nature of this guitar as well, with the use of walnut and the maple neck. I picked it up from My Favorite Guitars, who happen to be in my hometown and are clearing out their Gibson inventory. I got a tremendous deal and I love the guitar. Really beautiful and sounds fantastic. Love this thing.

Is there anything I need to take into consideration regarding the nitro finish? It does feel really sticky. Does that stickiness subside at all? I've also seen scars in the finish of people's guitars from stands. Any concerns?

image.jpg1_zpshvaswvso.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsscoujxox.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsoqjisgd6.jpg

Beautiful. And we didn't even have to beg for pics.

And nicely photographed, as well. Especially the shot of the back, with walnut stripe going up the neck.

As far as life with nitrocellulose lacquer- finished guitars; do yourself a favor, & treat her to some Virtuoso polish. Worth every penny, & 'will convert it from feeling sticky, to feeling silky.

Welcome to the forum.

Very nice! Sorry, I haven't had a new Gibson acoustic since 1974 so I don't have any suggestions about new finishes. But my guitars are for playing, so I leave them out on stands most of the time. Have read about problems with finishes, but never noticed on my own guitars. Maybe a new finish is more fragile?

BTW, your first two photos are very nice but they also illustrate how deceptive a photo can be. The color appears so different you might think there were actually two guitars. I notice pretty significant color differences depending on the direction of the light with my own guitars and assume it has something to do with polarized light. But in a photo, exposure and color balance can also make a big difference.

I'm curious, which photo do you think most accurately shows the color? My guess (based on other photos I've seen) is that the guitar actually looks more like the second photo, where it is sideways on the couch.

Happy NGD! :D

My J200 is 3 years old and it still feels sticky. Like 62burst said get the virtuoso polish and keep it clean. Other than that I think we are just gonna have to get use to it feeling sticky. That guitar is a beauty! I might "NEED" one!

As for protecting the nitro finish, avoid it coming into contact with anything made out of plastic, vinyl, or rubber. It can do severe damage. Watch out for straps made of vinyl, clip on tuners with rubber, guitar stands or hangers with rubber coating etc etc.

I once had a Kyser Life Guard humidifier, the one that goes into the soundhole, partially melt the nitro finish on a Martin D-18 I used to own. So even if it is a product designed to be used with guitars, if it is made of these materials, stay away.

Lars

Matalie - Great looking guitar. I have to say, every J-15 I have ever played - in shops in Minnesota, Montana, Colorado, have been superb - every one of them. I live in the semi-arid Rockies, and my guitars rrely have that sticky neck feeling - I think some of your might have to do with the probably relatively high humidity in Florida. I wouldn't worry. Play, smudge up that thing - make music - Sensational looking instrument.

Thanks. Yes, I think the stars really aligned with this guitar. I had heard that Gibsons in general can be hit and miss. I really wanted to love the one at MFG because I wanted to purchase it locally (only other option is guitar center). From the first strum I knew it was a peach and it had a beautiful back and I could buy it from MFG and get a great deal. Unfortunately, I got on a plane this morning for a business trip and won't get to play it until the weekend.

Is there anything I need to take into consideration regarding the nitro finish? It does feel really sticky. Does that stickiness subside at all? I've also seen scars in the finish of people's guitars from stands. Any concerns?

Wow, you got a beauty. Congratulations.

Lacquer tends to be soft for the first year. In compensation, it smells great. Unfortunately, as the lacquer hardens the smell goes away.

I had probs with a few scars at the top of the neck on the bass side at the first fret. Figured it was from an assembly line hanger. It eventually all but disappeared.

I also had major problems with the skin on my right forearm smudging the top. Major smudges. Apparently a lot of people have that problem. Wearing a long sleeve t-shirt when playing solved that and it doesn't seem much of a problem now that the lacquer has cured.

Avoid leaving it in prolonged contact with leather too.

The Virtuoso polish is a great recommendation. Well worth the money. So is Meguiar's Final Inspection 34 (if you can find it) for quick touch ups (no silicone).

I'm thinking that the J-15 is going to prove to be a bargain when we look back in ten years. Glad you got a good one.

FMA

I would not polish it for at least 6 months. You can wipe off smudges with a slightly damp soft cotton cloth. Many clean fretboard when changing strings, or maybe once a year, and re-condition the bare wood with lemon oil. If you do, be careful NOT to get any on the nitro or it'll scar it. I believe in Gibson pump polish. I've heard, and believe it has a little nitro in it to fill in minor scuffs and scratches over time. Most of all - enjoy your beautiful Gibson!

Congrats. Very nice. The J15 is great value as is the J35.

Interesting to see the wood grain pattern on the back of yours. The first one I purchased was very different to the replacement (which is a much nicer guitar all around). The reason I had it replaced was you could feel the join on the back over a length of around 3 inches towards the neck end. I've attached photos of the two backs if any one is interested. I love the sound of the guitar.

I spent some time playing it last night and the one complaint I have is that there are some rough spots in the finish on the neck, almost like drips. Right around the 2-3 frets along the area where the fingerboard is attached to the neck and one back along the stripe. I figure I'll polish that down as I play it. But the neck overall is very sticky. Does anyone ever do the brillo pad satin finishing to Gibson necks?

Another question I have is about bridge pins. I'm looking to get some from Bob Colosi. Anyone ordered pins for a J15 from him? I measured my pins with a calipers and they were bigger than anything he has. Curious if there was a standard considering the stock ones are just molded plastic.

That guitar looks so tone full. Nice! And I know how easy these short scale Gibson's play!

I have a 99 J45 rosewood and I still have to clean the lacquer neck after playing. I use lighter fluid (Naphtha) and a clean cut up ex-T shirt.

Lacquer changes over time. Young lacquer takes months and years to harden. I have a 1959 Country Western and the lacquer is hard and beautiful.

If you got a good deal and don't mind the resale value you can scotch brite the young finish away but it will be extremely noticeable, yet smooth.

Unless there is a professional tint matching artist re finisher out there that I am unaware of.

My Goodall guitars have polyurethane finish and they aren't sticky. I often wonder why Gibson and others wouldn't poly the necks where the fingers are.

This mirrors my buying experience, I'd never played a Gibbo acoustic until I was reading all these raves reviews about the 15's, I bought one without playing it and was blown away by it, now I've got a 45 in r/w as well and I just love em! Congrats on your 15 if its as good as mine and I'm sure it is, you'll be loving it for a long time. [thumbup]

Finished product- gold grovers, colosi bone bridge pins and a gold strap button (nerve racking). I had switched to medium strings, which I use with my other acoustics, and just didn't like the way it felt. Wouldn't stay in tune either. Switched back to lights and am much happier. I think lights fit the J15 better.

Another thing I'm working through is what aura image to use as I'll run this through my aura 16 pedal. Tried out the J45 model, sounds okay. I asked fishman to upload a J15 model.

0b1720cd1a7cf30f0c91f928fb1fee94_zpsrvwhxm3q.jpg

e88b539144d8dcdd078f1b375b46e1a8_zps1juvwaxu.jpg

I've had my j-15 for a year, it was never sticky. I recently bought a Martin HD-28 and it is a little sticky.

Nice back on yours, I found some of them to look sort of green and dull, yours is nice.

Here is pic of mine

photo15_zpsfba97c69.jpg

Archived