Gibson Brands Forums

What's going to happen to the Blues?

Guitarooster52

Here in the States the Blues CDs section at Best Buy has virtually dissapeared.

Tower Records had plenty of stuff but they went under, F.Y.E. has plenty of Blues CDs.

I use Amazon.com, they have just about anything you may want....

Folks been asking that same question longer than I've been alive. There's always someone saying the Blues are dead or dying or...and this is even worse...today's Blues aren't REAL Blues. Whatever TF that's supposed to mean. I know the Blues have been around a lot longer than I have, I suspect they'll outlive me by a comfortable enough margin to render the point moot.

What reason is that? Too good for walmart?

Blues doesnt sell very well. It has a following but mostly by middle to old aged males. ( Like myself )

HMV and others are geared toward younger people and mainstream music. They have a few, but as was

said barely a taste. I tried to by the Beano c.d. there...The kid behind the counter was stunned.

So in my opinion only the true music stores will sell classic blues c.d.'s

I compare HMV and a few others as the Wal-Mart of music stores.

Blues doesnt sell very well. It has a following but mostly by middle to old aged males.

Exactly, and that's what's got me thinking. I guess there is a "cult" like following but young artists will struggle making a good living on it when we pass on. SRV was successful with the Blues in his day, and I think John Mayer could help turn things around. Mayer is a pretty astute business man though, and he knows he has to keep his audience, so he'll continue to cater to his acoustic following.

As long as there is Bluesville channel on XM then it'll be fine. The fundamentals of blues will never leave us, but it's style may change as the years go by. I'd love to see it morph back into the classic Delta blues ala Robert Johnson myself...

it seems to me that you are all judging its survival or death based solely on how many albums a player sells. the ORIGINAL blues artists didn't make a "good living" on it. they weren't selling tons of records.

the blues is OK. it has always been morphing and will continue to do so.

A few blue thoughts...

1 - The blues has to "go away" so that it can "come back" again - that's the music biz. The reality of course is that the blues is always going to be around, for the most part unchanged.

2 - Young black kids don't generally like the blues. I've tried to share it with students numerous times. It's old school to them - looking backward. They don't wanna go there. It's a shame IMO, but that's the way it is.

3 - Middle aged white guys love them some fu**in' blues!

4 - Personally, straight blues gets a bit tiring to me. The blues is a huge part of my playing, but I don't really like listening to it. I need some rock in my blues!

5 - Most of us will live to se some new blues hotshot arrive, heralding the new blues resurgence. He may even be a member of this forum, who knows.

6 - Some of us will live to see the aforementioned hotshot fade into obscurity or die too young.

7 - Maybe a couple of use will live to see #5 happen yet another time

8 - Young black kids will still not generally like the blues.

9 - Middle aged white guys will still love them some fu**in' blues!

A few blue thoughts...

1 - The blues has to "go away" so that it can "come back" again - that's the music biz. The reality of course is that the blues is always going to be around' date=' for the most part unchanged.

2 - Young black kids don't generally like the blues. I've tried to share it with students numerous times. It's old school to them - looking backward. They don't wanna go there. It's a shame IMO, but that's the way it is.

3 - Middle aged white guys love them some fu**in' blues!

4 - Personally, straight blues gets a bit tiring to me. The blues is a huge part of my playing, but I don't really like listening to it. I need some rock in my blues!

5 - Most of us will live to se some new blues hotshot arrive, heralding the new blues resurgence. He may even be a member of this forum, who knows.

6 - Some of us will live to see the aforementioned hotshot fade into obscurity or die too young.

7 - Maybe a couple of use will live to see #5 happen yet another time

8 - Young black kids will still not generally like the blues.

9 - Middle aged white guys will still love them some fu**in' blues! [/quote']

+1

John Lee Hooker was alive and kicking untill recently.

Clapton still is.

Doubts?

Clapton is just a name that people know though. Kind of like McDonalds. Because they're a legend, without question, people will buy albums, and go see them live. No matter how bad those new albums may be.

Clapton is just a name that people know though. Kind of like McDonalds. Because they're a legend' date=' without question, people will buy albums, and go see them live. No matter how bad those new albums may be. [/quote']

I see you don't like his recent work.

Well... I think that "Road to Escondido" is one of his best albums. I don't want to compare with beano or Disraeli Gears (it's pointless) but that CD is always in my car.

"Me and Mr Johnson" is also very good.

Archived