Gibson Brands Forums

Sins when playing on stage?

PelhamBlueFire

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might have already been mentioned but....

Try not to suck [blink][smile]

Yeah, that's a good one to mention. Also, stay focussed, keep your head in the game. There's a lot of potential to get distracted, obviously. If it doesn't affect your performance, fine. But not everyone can multi-task like that, and a lot can go wrong.

Don't eat at your favourite Mexican restraunt the night before.

Had our rythm guitarist fart his way through the first set in time to the songs (lol) and pretty much gas out not only the stage but probably the first three rows of the audience as well. While playing a quieter Eagles number had him rip one loose so loud it had the rest of us cracking up laughing, could hardly finish the song (lol!).

Don't eat at your favourite Mexican restraunt the night before.

Had our rythm guitarist fart his way through the first set in time to the songs (lol) and pretty much gas out not only the stage but probably the first three rows of the audience as well. While playing a quieter Eagles number had him rip one loose so loud it had the rest of us cracking up laughing, could hardly finish the song (lol!).

Had no idea you were so dedicated to playing the EAGLES covers with such dedication and accuracy. That's going the extra mile.

Which why, we should support live music. That kind of dedication can only be experienced in person.

Some really good advice on here especially for young folks so I won't add much just touch on a couple that i personally hate to have happen

So;

Your being paid have fun but be a pro no drunks no stoned if your playing

Tune guitars and have before not during and in less your good don't drop the E during a song few can get it back

if your with a piano tune to that instrument there not always perfect and you don't want to point that out live.

use effects the songs needs not that you think are fun.

A broken string is not a song stopper.

stay in time with the others in todays world I see all of playing that's out of time that's every bit as bad as being out of tune

play what the people want to hear even if it's stupid I was in a band where the singer would not play anything even happy birthday if is wasn't on the playlist. If your at a wedding and they want the chicken dance play it there paying the bill's a good thing to remember.

and finally the hardest sometimes. Be nice even if somebody is a total loser during a set, let it go nothing is worse than arguing with a drunk from the stage! He's enjoying it the owners not so be a pro unless they are going to do something harmful. That's he Bouncers job, not the bands.

Good list though fun to read and I remember breaking most of them at one time or another :-)

Never leave your gear unattended during breaks...that's a good one.

I personally have never been robbed like that, but I have been told that guitars go "missing" from time-to-time. You don't want your expensive gear to get "lost" like that.

Has anyone of you guys had this happen to you?

If you use an original Floyd Rose tremolo, NEVER change a string on a darkened stage or dark dressing room.

Back when these things were fairly new I was backstage chatting with Curt Kirkwood of the Meat Puppets who had just started using a new guitar after spending years on a Goldtop. As he's changing his B string on this new fangled tremolo the wee little insert block that slips into the bridge to hold the string in place simply disappears. Total panic ensues as he has no back up guitar handy. He wound up using a loaner for the gig and soon after went back to his Les Pauls.

It was just around that time their van was swiped as well. That was bad enough but they had been stashing all their tour reciepts inside th drivers side door panel. Every cent was gone.

I have had gear from my gig bag go missing before. A little zip lock plastic bag of picks, a spare slide, that sort of thing. So be careful who you leave your gig bag with while your onstage.

speaking of darkness...

Played a night time party gig the other week and lighting was so poor I couldn't see where I was on the fretboard (not ideal for rhythm playing barre chords). Bass player and I rigged up a torch to the frame of the marquee so I could stand at the back near amps and see reasonably - but when up front singing there were times it was just better to drop out than hit the wrong chord. All quite off-putting. might have to check out glow-in-the-dark dots for the neck - otherwise some sort of camping lighting or whatever needs to be added to the gear list for unpredictable gigs

I have had gear from my gig bag go missing before. A little zip lock plastic bag of picks, a spare slide, that sort of thing. So be careful who you leave your gig bag with while your onstage.

damned groupies - I hope they made it up to you!

speaking of darkness...

Played a night time party gig the other week and lighting was so poor I couldn't see where I was on the fretboard (not ideal for rhythm playing barre chords). Bass player and I rigged up a torch to the frame of the marquee so I could stand at the back near amps and see reasonably - but when up front singing there were times it was just better to drop out than hit the wrong chord. All quite off-putting. might have to check out glow-in-the-dark dots for the neck - otherwise some sort of camping lighting or whatever needs to be added to the gear list for unpredictable gigs

I installed some luminescent dots in the sides and fret faces of my Dot Studio some time ago- japanese product named 'Luminlay'- with excellent results. These things glow like neon for at least 15 mins and visible for far longer than that, also recharge really quickly with a little blue light torch provided ( about 3 seconds per dot). Mind you, it took a lot of courage to drill into my neck, the gods were with me that day as it all went sweetly!

If I were good enough to play on a darkened stage ( any stage!) my neck would be perfect for it!!

I actually only used the Luminlay as I wanted dots and having seen it somewhere thought 'What the hell- in for apenny, in for a pound' - quite glad I did, they really look impressive and actually look strangely luminescent in the light as well.

speaking of darkness...

I installed some luminescent dots in the sides and fret faces of my Dot Studio some time ago- japanese product named 'Luminlay'- with excellent results. These things glow like neon for at least 15 mins and visible for far longer than that, also recharge really quickly with a little blue light torch provided ( about 3 seconds per dot). Mind you, it took a lot of courage to drill into my neck, the gods were with me that day as it all went sweetly!

If I were good enough to play on a darkened stage ( any stage!) my neck would be perfect for it!!

Rev...

Panora still have "Blue Town?"

Ain't been there in doggone nearly 60 years.

m

Sorry m - just read this. I don't know what Blue Town is so I can't answer that [confused]

We played at The Port - here's a link for your enjoyment: http://www.experiencetheport.com/

Beautiful place to setup & play. They have a nice round outdoor stage (weather permitting) with a spectacular view - both of the lake & hotel and a lot of really really pretty women [wub]

There are also two bars on the inside of the hotel - we played the one on the lower level that evening thankfully so we weren't injured and no one else was either. Playing outdoors there as we have done previously was just awesome as anything - the lake carried our music a long distance as water does and there are a lot of wealthy people there that would boat over in there awesome and very expensive luxury ships to watch us from the lake. Its fun to see people at 360 degrees rockin out to your music. Awesome place!

May252008liveattheportposter.jpg

damned groupies - I hope they made it up to you!

LOL! No damn it!, but speaking of which...

The band I occassionaly play with, well our rhythm guitarist is in his late fourties, divorced, a very good looking colt, and very popular with the ladies. Very popular!

In his gig bag, along with the usual guitar related gear, he usually has a complete change of clothes, underwear and all. Has been caught short before onstage when a drizzly rain starts up.

So, if it was me, it would be a slide, some patch cables, or some picks that go missing. Not him! The thieves pinch his underwear out of his gig bag (lol). And just his underwear, nothing else! Has happened several times (he gets a good ribbing over that).

:rolleyes:

we usually tell him the culprit is the big hairy roadie in charge of the amps (lol).

Archived