Gibson Brands Forums

Gettin' old

Levers

Artheritis is gettin to my hands, now what to do with all these instruments. Where is the best place to start listing? I hate to deal with people only interested in "stealing a great find".... I would much rather deal with people understanding the instrument for what it is. Many Gibsons, some Epi's (Fenders etc...) Any good thoughts? thanks.

It depends on what you have as to how best to move them.

If you indeed have high dollar vintage, classic, collectible, or otherwise "market demand" instruments, I would advise making a consignment or buyout deal a reputable dealer. Don't know who is in your neck of the woods, although Dave Rogers (Dave's Guitars) is over in LaCrosse, WI.

If you have a bunch of "players" type instruments of asking prices of $2000 of less, CraigsList is a great resource. I've easily, quickly and painlessly sold musical equipment priced up to $2000 with a local CraigsList advertisement.

There is also a "Trading Post" section of this forum that is always worth a try. In all cases, to move instruments, they have to be "of interest", and priced fairly.

It depends on what you have as to how best to move them.

If you indeed have high dollar vintage, classic, collectible, or otherwise "market demand" instruments, I would advise making a consignment or buyout deal a reputable dealer. Don't know who is in your neck of the woods, although Dave Rogers (Dave's Guitars) is over in LaCrosse, WI.

If you have a bunch of "players" type instruments of asking prices of $2000 of less, CraigsList is a great resource. I've easily, quickly and painlessly sold musical equipment priced up to $2000 with a local CraigsList advertisement.

There is also a "Trading Post" section of this forum that is always worth a try. In all cases, to move instruments, they have to be "of interest", and priced fairly.

Thanks Larry.

I agree with Larry's advice.

I'm not in the market for any more guitars (you're not the only one who's getting older :)), but I'm sure that most people who read this are going to be curious like me about what you have. It might be worthwhile for you to list what you have here, if only for the sake of everyone helping to come up with opinions about current values. But it's mostly about the curiosity you've raised now. ;)

I agree with Larry's advice.

I'm not in the market for any more guitars (you're not the only one who's getting older :)), but I'm sure that most people who read this are going to be curious like me about what you have. It might be worthwhile for you to list what you have here, if only for the sake of everyone helping to come up with opinions about current values. But it's mostly about the curiosity you've raised now. ;)

Probably around 30 total. Some average players,some pretty nice. '64 355 mono,stoptail,'81 Dot reissue 335,'62 LP jr,.64 MMD ,'59 125,'61 125t, '62 Epi Broadway w/ New Yorker's replaced w/ Gold Humbuckers,a few Sg's,'74 J200,73 L6S, 94 Heritage 535,'39-41 (?) Epi Zepher blonde w/stationary Bigsby,1919 Gibson 'A' model mandolin, some Fender's,and others. If I can figure out how to load, I'll try a few pics sometime.

My hands are acting up too, but I think it's more of a carpal tunnel thing, though my mom had terrible rheumatoid arthritis in her hands. Buy yourself a nice lap slide with the proceeds and go to town. I would be interested in the ES125T if you'd care to PM me. I could share my email address to get some photos.

As stated, Craigslist is a free service but narrows your market to local drive distances. Ebay, like local consignment shops take 20%, but the former is chock full of potential buyers with a built in resource for comparing current market values. I've done well both on C'list and Ebay.

Best of luck.

... As stated, Craigslist is a free service but narrows your market to local drive distances....

This is not necessarily true.

I had a 1932 Gibson TB-1 banjo listed on the local St. Louis, MO CraigsList, and received an inquiry from New York.

I know you can access any city's listings from your local page. I wonder if there is a way to do a national "search".

True, Larry, but with C'list you pretty much lose the 'shipping' option as no safeguard exists when you send a valuable item w/o a third party guarantee that payment will yield the item being mailed. A much higher degree of human trust has to be present. What could be more risky?

I haven't had that problem myself...due to my Mafioso uncles.

Yep, and you still have to hope the buyer will put a (good) check in the mail after receiving the guitar.

No,... the buyer needs to hope you actually possess and ship the guitar after the certified check clears your bank.

No one in there right mind would ship a guitar to a complete stranger without cleared, certified prepayment. I've never heard of such a thing.

I wonder if there is a way to do a national "search".

Yes, you can use Jim's link, or just use google and type in site:craigslist.com then the guitar name/description you're looking for.

I would look into posting on Reverb.com.

That's what I was going to mention. There's no auction - you set the price, they buy or not. (Well, there's also a 'make offer' choice.) Reverb takes much less of a percentage than ebay.

With the inventory you listed, depending on condition, I would definitely talk to some shops in your area or in a few major cities about consigning the nice stuff, and maybe hit up John at the handle TVGuit here on the forums, he has a really well-curated shop. The sub-$2k and players-grade stuff I would take to Reverb, it is far and away the best online marketplace for gear.

hold onto a couple for yourself, and to echo the others, sorry to hear you're stuck in this spot. Gettin old is gettin old!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Probably around 30 total. Some average players,some pretty nice. '64 355 mono,stoptail,'81 Dot reissue 335,'62 LP jr,.64 MMD ,'59 125,'61 125t, '62 Epi Broadway w/ New Yorker's replaced w/ Gold Humbuckers,a few Sg's,'74 J200,73 L6S, 94 Heritage 535,'39-41 (?) Epi Zepher blonde w/stationary Bigsby,1919 Gibson 'A' model mandolin, some Fender's,and others. If I can figure out how to load, I'll try a few pics sometime.

Wow! What a list!

Archived