Gibson Brands Forums

Good Friday Is Also Tube Day.....

Murph

Rowdy...

Even more memories for me... in the '50s I already was doing radio repair on my own, and the local "radio repair" shop had a tube tester in the front "display" room along with some nice tube radios and television sets on sale.

At that point in time, in my little town I'd not even seen a guitar amp, but there was a tube PA system used by the chamber of commerce for Saturday night "drawings" that brought the rural folks into town - and Dad's friend/competitor in the car business down the street had a combo with a tube PA system for his wife to sing with...

The informal training did me well because I ended up helping my high school's sailing team keep its antique tube PA operating for race starts, announcements, etc. Car radios, btw, were tube type too at the time. I actually used a motorcycle battery on my bicycle to have a car radio blasting away - but it was awfully heavy and the battery needed a lotta recharging.

m

It's easy to end up with a huge tube collection without even noticing it happening. You buy a pair here, a pair there, somebody offers you a box of 50 and so on and so forth.

The fun part is seeing how different they all sound from one another.

Before I lost my storage, I had a HUGE collection, including a very comprehensive 12ax7 hoard.

I was kinda thin on the 6L6, basically only having MAYBE one of each. I mean, one pair of black plates, one pair of GE side getters, one pair of Tung-Sol 5881's, etc. Just enough to establish a "baseline", in a matter of speaking.

But I had enough 6V6's to maybe last a lifetime, and could (and would) use them.

Archived