Gibson Brands Forums

2014 LPMM Hard Case

eldorado2001

Hello, I bought a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker last year. Very happy with the guitar. It ships with a gig bag tho, and I don't take my guitars out in gig bags. A Les Paul case is not a perfect fit for this guitar, it would require modification. I contacted Gibson last year and again this year about buying one of their cases that fits the new slim Les Paul models, but they won't turn loose of one. The major case companies don't offer a case for it either. Looked around and found this. It's a perfect fit without adding any foam or pads, btw. Even has a little bit of space for my strap.

IMG_2774_zpssf6jubzk.jpg

IMG_2775_zpsdopaj4qy.jpg

I'm not a big fan of ESP guitars or the logo on the case but I'm a fan of the case. At least they make them available.

Shame on Gibson.

This case here: https://www.long-mcquade.com/11973/Guitars/Cases_Gig_Bags/Yorkville_Sound/Deluxe_Hardshell_Les_Paul_Case.htm

Fit my 2014 LP melody maker like a glove.

Nice looking MM. I had the yellow, but like the look of the cherry too. [thumbup]

Thanks, JAYGL.

Yellow was my 2nd choice, but I kinda have a red guitar fetish, so the red won out. My Gibson LP cases don't work for the LPMM due to the thin body sitting deeper in the case, making the neck & headstock contact the case lid pretty hard (unless I use extra padding under the guitar body). Is the Yorkville case shallower than a Gibson case, or does the guitar sit a bit deeper in the case? I really prefer a shaped case.

Thanks for the suggestions. You all know the 2014 Les Paul Melody Maker has a carved top like a Les Paul, right? Doesn't the (vintage or reissue) Melody Maker model have a flat top like a LP Jr or LP Special? Is the Melody Maker case thinner than a regular Les Paul case? Several have recommended that case but does anyone have firsthand experience using it specifically with the carved-top LPMM? Thanks.

Update:

Found a seller on ebay (The Stratosphere) who seems to part out guitars [confused] , they also sell the cases. I bought a new gold 2015 Gibson Les Paul Less Plus case from them and it's a perfect fit for my LPMM, and quite a bit lighter than the ESP case, too.

Gold%20Case_zpsff3mak1b.jpg

• 5 years later...

DimensionsAgileAD-201TvYellowRondoMusic.pdfI can not find the appropriate snug fitting hard case for the agile model ad-201 les paul tv yellow flat top p90's.

it seems the design of les paul's is to reproduce the needed necessary solidbody weight in the solidbody by either thickening the lumber and or capping a thinner lumber with added thickness of maple cap. the contour is different between them but the weight will be equivalent running about 9pounds to 11 pounds.

discussions available have sought to differentiate hard case fit up to the differing solid body contours.

the distributor has recommended the carved top les paul hard case, which is not a flat top contour (as seen of its lid contour) for proper fitup, or is it compatible nesting the body snug, because of the added thickness of the solidbody flat top?

I gotta protect this instrument. it is darn perfection because the manufacturer had used alder instead & we all know alder is so coveted. even the factory made pups are so coveted. i realized the duet low impedance position produces that indistinguishable genuine  telecaster bell ring & chimes, magic mojo luthiers!

here the chlorides are ubiquitous, & it will kill the hardware over time. the vast pacific ocean surrounds Hawaii which appears as a micro dot inside the infinite Pacific Ocean. There is some type of chemical impregnated paper placed in sealed containment to curb corrosion. Silica gel is obsolete compared to this impregnated paper the military wrap their delicate spare parts. Where do you get it? 

Nice case.  Any chance of removing the ESP logo and stenciling on a "Gibson USA" on there?  That is what I would do.  Or does that offend the Gibson purists by putting a Gibson logo on a non-Gibson case?  But ... you don't want to offend the ESP purists by putting that Gibson guitar in that ESP case, though, either.  Oh, the dilemma ...

LOL, LOL (sorry, I break myself up)

On 4/6/2015 at 5:05 PM, eldorado2001 said:

Thanks for the suggestions. You all know the 2014 Les Paul Melody Maker has a carved top like a Les Paul, right? Doesn't the (vintage or reissue) Melody Maker model have a flat top like a LP Jr or LP Special? Is the Melody Maker case thinner than a regular Les Paul case? Several have recommended that case but does anyone have firsthand experience using it specifically with the carved-top LPMM? Thanks.

Update:

Found a seller on ebay (The Stratosphere) who seems to part out guitars [confused] , they also sell the cases. I bought a new gold 2015 Gibson Les Paul Less Plus case from them and it's a perfect fit for my LPMM, and quite a bit lighter than the ESP case, too.

Gold%20Case_zpsff3mak1b.jpg

Be very careful with the "fit" on that case.  They had a problem with them that usually doesn't surface until there is damage to the surface of the neck.  That has only to do with those anniversary cases for the Junior/Specials.  It is not at all apparent unless you look very closely.  First, just lay in the case.  Look closely where the neck goes over the inside  compartment.   The neck should lay evenly over the top.  In the suspect cases, the neck actually hits and "pivots" on the end of the compartment by the body.  If you pick up the body slightly at the end of the body, the angle of the neck will change and then the neck will lay flat over the compartment as it should.  The easy fix it to put a tshirt or small towel in the bottom of the case at the end to give the end that slight elevation.   If nothing is done, the edge of the compartment can wear though the finish at that place on the neck.  Worse yet, I think a severe blow to the bottom could actually break the neck, though that is probably unlikely.   I have a 2015 Junior and Special and both have that exact same condition,  Otherwise, great case!

Edited by Wmachine

5 hours ago, eldorado2001 said:

See my update from 2015. 
I didn’t use the JR / Special case, Those models don’t have carved tops. I used the case made for a LP Less Plus model, it’s the same size/shape as the 2014 LPMM. Both have carved tops. Perfect fit. 👍

Its easy to overlook the date & think a new thread has begun. 

I cant help wondering why someone would be selling a LP Less+ case at all.  They were designated for that guitar. Unless the guitar got stolen or broke?

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Its easy to overlook the date & think a new thread has begun. 

I cant help wondering why someone would be selling a LP Less+ case at all.  They were designated for that guitar. Unless the guitar got stolen or broke?

Some folks only use certain cases.  When I was a young man I only used SKB, and I still have a few 25 plus year old examples going out of the house and back, still performing flawlessly.  There was a time when a Fender or Gibson or Martin Original Hardshell Case was secret code for Cheap.  Crappy latches, stiff scritchy hinges, handles that broke off.  For around the house they were fine, but start chucking them in and out of old pickup trucks and they show their weakness quickly.  Maybe not so much these days, they all seem to have gotten better case suppliers.

rct

I’ve had the same problem with the 2019 Les Paul JR Tribute DC Bass & Guitar. Also with a newer Gibson case for a 1973 L-5S. In both cases, a 3/4 piece of styrofoam worked perfectly. I bought a pack of (5) 14” X 4’ from Menard’s for about $7, enough to fix about 25 cases......... I tucked a towel under the body of the guitar for a few months, no more!

HnY0VUpl.jpg

m3QEAhol.jpg

7EUrKeLl.jpg

Edited by Grog

10 hours ago, Grog said:

I’ve had the same problem with the 2019 Les Paul JR Tribute DC Bass & Guitar. Also with a newer Gibson case for a 1973 L-5S. In both cases, a 3/4 piece of styrofoam worked perfectly. I bought a pack of (5) 14” X 4’ from Menard’s for about $7, enough to fix about 25 cases......... I tucked a towel under the body of the guitar for a few months, no more!

HnY0VUpl.jpg

m3QEAhol.jpg

7EUrKeLl.jpg

Nicely done.  That fix would work with the Junior/Special 2015 gold anniversary cases, but should only be added to a  3rd of the bottom at the end of the bottom.  

On 1/4/2021 at 2:37 PM, rct said:

Some folks only use certain cases.  When I was a young man I only used SKB, and I still have a few 25 plus year old examples going out of the house and back, still performing flawlessly.  There was a time when a Fender or Gibson or Martin Original Hardshell Case was secret code for Cheap.  Crappy latches, stiff scritchy hinges, handles that broke off.  For around the house they were fine, but start chucking them in and out of old pickup trucks and they show their weakness quickly.  Maybe not so much these days, they all seem to have gotten better case suppliers.

rct

Ok I get it. I have to admit, a good case is appealing. The TC-90 I got came in a really well made (3rd party) case. It was part of the appeal. I will be moving the guitar on, but would ideally like to keep the case.