Gibson Brands Forums

J 200 users - favorite string gauge?

Gordan

32 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Bozeman apparently goes with GHS wound strings.

That is highly doubtful, and there is no conclusive evidence for that.  It is more likely, simply by exclusion principle (for what other choice have companies got at this point given the laughably low number of string plants in existence on U.S. soil), that Gibson, like so many others, contracted one of the only handful of American string manufacturers in existence (most likely D'Addario) for producing Gibson-branded strings and according to their submitted string specs and packaging design.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

1 hour ago, Leonard McCoy said:

That is highly doubtful, and there is no conclusive evidence for that.  It is more likely, simply by exclusion principle (for what other choice have companies got at this point given the laughably low number of string plants in existence on U.S. soil), that Gibson, like so many others, contracted one of the only handful of American string manufacturers in existence (most likely D'Addario) for producing Gibson-branded strings and according to their submitted string specs and packaging design.

I always thought it was D'Addario too.. but actually, I think at one point it was true, (it was GHS) and it was confirmed either on this forum, or on the AGF.  (maybe the AGF?)

I'm not sure if they are still contracting to GHS with the new string line up but for example Masterbuilts, and the J200 sets,  as I recall were indeed coming from GHS, we only know that for sure, Gibson aint makin their own strings these days, if ever

1 hour ago, Leonard McCoy said:

I recall reading that about GHS on this forum.   But yeah I have also heard D'Addario mentioned.  Interestingly Throbak has a string line known as the Elgin series  which was where the string making facility Gibson ran up to around 2009 was.  I believe there was a string making operation there before Gibson acquired it but I do not have clue what it was.  The Throbak line are, according to their marketing stuff, are made in a very small shop by the guys who designed the  machine used in Elgin shop from the late-1960s on.     I might just have to give those strings a try.

Just searched my string box.  Something told me to look. I have (2) unopened three set packs of ThroBak  round core phos bronze lights 12-54.  They are Elgin series.  They read as manufactured ThroBak Vintage Choice Strings 800 Monroe NW. Grand Rapids, MI. 49503.  So, I have six sets of the round core Elgin series strings I have never tried, or just can't remember trying.   That sounds bad for either the strings or myself!  Why isn't a set on one of my guitars?  Did I maybe have another 3 set pack and try them?  While something told me I had ThroBaks, I can't remember ever trying them.   But, all day yesterday I thought it  was Friday, so that explains a lot I suppose!  Ahem, and all that stuff.  Anyhow, over the weekend, I'll try a set on either the rosewood SJ  or J-150 and see what I think.  Still can't believe I knew I had the strings, but can't remember ever trying them.    edit:   the sets are sealed, but just checked the mailing envelope date.  It is 4/25/16.  Therein exists another test.

Edited by Hall

• 10 months later...
On 4/8/2015 at 7:48 AM, Gordan said:

Hi everyone,

i was just wondering if you could share some of your J 200 experiences string-wise?

Which string gauge do you prefer on your Jumbos, and what kind of experience have you had with other string gauges?

I am currently using .011 on my J 200, and it kinda feels like those are too light for the string-neck tension, so

i am definitely considering getting into a thicker gauge, but i don't wanna get ahead of myself and go with something

too thick and unsuitable for a guitar like this.

Feel free to share your thoughts, i'd appreciate it a lot!

cheers

LATE FYI 🙂

My 1997  J-200 came with 13's and was confirmed by Gibson due to this very topic.  They even used to sell "Gibson medium J-200" PB strings that said "Original String of the J-200" which you can still find on EBAY. I've had 13's on mine for 25 years.  Sounds great zero problems... Maybe they switched for warranty CYA or maybe they make 'em thinner now.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On 4/9/2015 at 3:58 AM, Smurfbird said:

I'm the weirdo. I prefer .11s. D'addario 11s PB. I started with .12s and it was too tough for my liking, so I switched to .11s and now play without a fight. Am I lacking tone? Not enough for me to care. I've listened to videos of people using the different gauges and I still preferred .11s. I understand why someone would go to .12s but I prefer the path of least resistance.

Same here:  D'Addario EXP (now XTAPB) 11-52. 

On 4/8/2015 at 5:07 PM, Slinky1 said:

I use D'addario EJ-17's. I've tried the EJ-16's, they seem too thin on the J-200.

It seems the J-200 needed a little bit more string to bring out the full potential of that fabulous guitar. I love my J-200.

Same for me, i used .012's initially but i find the .013's (also EJ17) really make it sound great. I use them on other guitars too and am used to them. For the OP moving from .011s to .013s (if you haven't played mediums before) could be a pretty big jump that might take some getting used to. I think it'd be worth it though.