Gibson Brands Forums

J 200 users - favorite string gauge?

Gordan

32 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Bozeman apparently goes with GHS wound strings.

That is highly doubtful, and there is no conclusive evidence for that.  It is more likely, simply by exclusion principle (for what other choice have companies got at this point given the laughably low number of string plants in existence on U.S. soil), that Gibson, like so many others, contracted one of the only handful of American string manufacturers in existence (most likely D'Addario) for producing Gibson-branded strings and according to their submitted string specs and packaging design.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

1 hour ago, Leonard McCoy said:

That is highly doubtful, and there is no conclusive evidence for that.  It is more likely, simply by exclusion principle (for what other choice have companies got at this point given the laughably low number of string plants in existence on U.S. soil), that Gibson, like so many others, contracted one of the only handful of American string manufacturers in existence (most likely D'Addario) for producing Gibson-branded strings and according to their submitted string specs and packaging design.

I always thought it was D'Addario too.. but actually, I think at one point it was true, (it was GHS) and it was confirmed either on this forum, or on the AGF.  (maybe the AGF?)

I'm not sure if they are still contracting to GHS with the new string line up but for example Masterbuilts, and the J200 sets,  as I recall were indeed coming from GHS, we only know that for sure, Gibson aint makin their own strings these days, if ever

1 hour ago, Leonard McCoy said:

I recall reading that about GHS on this forum.   But yeah I have also heard D'Addario mentioned.  Interestingly Throbak has a string line known as the Elgin series  which was where the string making facility Gibson ran up to around 2009 was.  I believe there was a string making operation there before Gibson acquired it but I do not have clue what it was.  The Throbak line are, according to their marketing stuff, are made in a very small shop by the guys who designed the  machine used in Elgin shop from the late-1960s on.     I might just have to give those strings a try.

Just searched my string box.  Something told me to look. I have (2) unopened three set packs of ThroBak  round core phos bronze lights 12-54.  They are Elgin series.  They read as manufactured ThroBak Vintage Choice Strings 800 Monroe NW. Grand Rapids, MI. 49503.  So, I have six sets of the round core Elgin series strings I have never tried, or just can't remember trying.   That sounds bad for either the strings or myself!  Why isn't a set on one of my guitars?  Did I maybe have another 3 set pack and try them?  While something told me I had ThroBaks, I can't remember ever trying them.   But, all day yesterday I thought it  was Friday, so that explains a lot I suppose!  Ahem, and all that stuff.  Anyhow, over the weekend, I'll try a set on either the rosewood SJ  or J-150 and see what I think.  Still can't believe I knew I had the strings, but can't remember ever trying them.    edit:   the sets are sealed, but just checked the mailing envelope date.  It is 4/25/16.  Therein exists another test.

Edited by Hall