Gibson Brands Forums

Thin Ice - What is neck width on a '53 SJ

duluthdan

1 11/16 is good news. I was very afraid they might be in the 1 3/4 range, which is my favorite, and I'd have to speed up my couch diving for quarters. [biggrin]

Oh Dan it's only a 16th of an inch, go find those quarters and treat yourself !

1 11/16 is good news. I was very afraid they might be in the 1 3/4 range, which is my favorite, and I'd have to speed up my couch diving for quarters. [biggrin]

Try one personally, Dan - the fifties necks I have played are usually a very full C shape.....which makes the whole thing seem wider.

BluesKing777.

I ahould not even be where I am. What is the nut width on a 1953 Southern Jumbo? image.jpg1_zpsmmv44lwy.jpg

The seed is planted. Only one way to exorcise the demon ; ).

If you accept the notion that two guitars made right next to each other, having lived different lives, can sound quite different from each other even though they are from the same era, then it might be worth your while to give at least one a try. That is, if you have an approval period for the guitar. If it is one great sounding guitar, that difference in nut width might not be so much of a factor. However, sooner or later, you may be looking at mid 1940's models :).

I sure wish Gibson had more offerings with 1 3/4" nut width.

The Luthiers Choice neck, which you can find on some models and custom shop stuff, is 1 3/4, but the neck is usually more shallow tha the full C neck, which my 57 has, and I like it..

The Luthiers Choice neck, which you can find on some models and custom shop stuff, is 1 3/4, but the neck is usually more shallow tha the full C neck, which my 57 has, and I like it..

My Luthier's Choice neck (Fuller's 1943 SJ) is actually very slightly wider ( about 1.78") than 1 3/4". It does have a fairly shallow D-section. If it didn't have that shallow section, you would struggle to wrap your hand around it if you fret the bass strings by wrapping your thumb at times.

Pin spacing is also slightly wider, at 2 3/16".

The late 1940's through 1950's C-shape is very, very comfortable to my hand

Archived