Gibson Brands Forums

Problem with G-String on a Standard 2015

harrybertora

Hello everybody,

i have a Standard 2015 with G-Tune, and the G-string don't stay in tune, often too high, often too low after play some mn (after the tuning with the G-Tune).

Have you the same problem, have you a solution because it's very difficult to play with a string who don't stay in tune all along a song !

thank you very much

Some people here might disagree with me, but, the G string for me is also the hardest to keep in tune. Make sure that the string is not binding in the not slot which is usually the most common problem. Be sure to use lube on that slot in particular. Also make sure that it's nice and stretched out. For me, it usually gets in tune eventually.

Edited to add: I have no experience with G-Force tuning systems or the new brass nuts.

Some people here might disagree with me, but, the G string for me is also the hardest to keep in tune. Make sure that the string is not binding in the not slot which is usually the most common problem. Be sure to use lube on that slot in particular. Also make sure that it's nice and stretched out. For me, it usually gets in tune eventually.

Edited to add: I have no experience with G-Force tuning systems or the new brass nuts.

you are correct. the dreaded g-string problem haunted me all my life until i found out what's really going on recently. i cant think of one electric guitar that hasn't presented this issue to me eventually.

there is some really interesting info out there that sheds some light on the issue. long story short, electric guitar strings were originally not so light. g strings were never supposed to be unwound strings. look at acoustics for example. they only became so when people started replacing their high e string with a lighter banjo string. basically in order to have a lighter set of strings for playability. the old e string was moved down becoming the new b string and the b became the g string and so on. it seems g strings are not the right fit for the tension or scale they are intended for so they end up sounding so randomly sour. it is really easy to chalk it up to bad nuts or bad frets but after witnessing this on so many damn guitars, i was beginning to go bonkers.

i tried these last fall and haven't gone back.

100190000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Searcy is a guy on this board who knows a lot about the G-tune system. He can chime in about the tuning. Is this a guitar with the new brass nut? The brass nut was supposed to help with some problems that people had with unstable tuning on the G string.

Searcy is a guy on this board who knows a lot about the G-tune system. He can chime in about the tuning. Is this a guitar with the new brass nut? The brass nut was supposed to help with some problems that people had with unstable tuning on the G string.

Yes my guitar has the new zero fret adjustable nut.

And i don't know why but the G-string is often too high, often too low.Perfect after tuning, and don't stay in tune after some minutes !

Thank i will try this !

i'm sorry but i'm french, and i speak a little english but i don't understand all terms.

What signify :" Make sure that the string is not binding in the not slot" in others words ?

i hear a little "click" sometimes when the G-Tune act.Like some others guitar manually..... it seems like the string is blocked in the nut.

Harry : CJ was talking about the style of nut that's been used on guitars for ever..

These had the G string nut slot cut too narrow and had to be widened and lubricated

tuning_3.jpg

Yours has that new brass nut.. so the Nut slots are cut different than the old nuts

Nut-2_adjustment-feature.jpg

not sure, has anybody with a zero-fret nut talked about lubricating a brass nut?

not sure if you're supposed too.

but people have talked about the string cutting into the brass nut.

also check the section on this forum called: Technology Guitars.. number of reports that the mini-tune tunes their guitar high

Be sure to use lube on that slot in particular.

Got that G-string issue too. What kind of lube?

you are correct. the dreaded g-string problem haunted me all my life until i found out what's really going on recently. i cant think of one electric guitar that hasn't presented this issue to me eventually.

there is some really interesting info out there that sheds some light on the issue. long story short, electric guitar strings were originally not so light. g strings were never supposed to be unwound strings. look at acoustics for example. they only became so when people started replacing their high e string with a lighter banjo string. basically in order to have a lighter set of strings for playability. the old e string was moved down becoming the new b string and the b became the g string and so on. it seems g strings are not the right fit for the tension or scale they are intended for so they end up sounding so randomly sour. it is really easy to chalk it up to bad nuts or bad frets but after witnessing this on so many damn guitars, i was beginning to go bonkers.

Yeah, Tony Iommi was one of those who replaced their strings due to his chopped fingertips.

Harry : CJ was talking about the style of nut that's been used on guitars for ever..

These had the G string nut slot cut too narrow and had to be widened and lubricated

tuning_3.jpg

Yours has that new brass nut.. so the Nut slots are cut different than the old nuts

Nut-2_adjustment-feature.jpg

not sure, has anybody with a zero-fret nut talked about lubricating a brass nut?

not sure if you're supposed too.

but people have talked about the string cutting into the brass nut.

also check the section on this forum called: Technology Guitars.. number of reports that the mini-tune tunes their guitar high

thank you very much.

This afternoon, i will try graphite on the nut.often not too bad, so why not on the new brass nut ?

My 2013 Traditional does the same thing. When it was new I kept hearing a pinging sound(G string) and it would go out of tune after that. At that time, someone here recommended Big Bends Nut Sauce or even graphite. I bought the Nut Sauce and I really haven't had a problem since. Many here have stated that even the lead from a pencil works as well. I make sure I lube on every string change.

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Bends-Luber-Ultra-Applicator/dp/B000SHQ1QC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428733660&sr=8-1&keywords=nut+sauce+guitar

Yep, I sure have a problem with my G string being too tight.

Especially as the other guy sayd, :" Make sure that the string is not binding in the nut slot"

Not sure about having brass nuts, but I know when its cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

I've had this problem a lot with Gibson and the G strings. I found that a nut replacement to a GraphTech product, on both my Les Paul guitars, has alleviated some of the issues. I might try switching to a wound string, following [billymagnum]'s advice; shall let you all know!

• 2 weeks later...

i tried these last fall and haven't gone back.

100190000000000-00-500x500.jpg

I've had this problem a lot with Gibson and the G strings. I found that a nut replacement to a GraphTech product, on both my Les Paul guitars, has alleviated some of the issues. I might try switching to a wound string, following [billymagnum]'s advice; shall let you all know!

Got a bunch of D'Addario NW017's on the way, which are pure nickel would strings. Keeping up with current use of Gibson Vintage Reissue strings, as I order in bulk, and will switch out the 17 for the 17w. Looking forward to seeing some good results!

Switched over to the suggested idea this weekend; changed from a straight 17 to a 17w. It's made a tremendous difference; testing by doing some heavy chording and lots of bends, and the string did not fail tuning nearly as frequently before.

The wound string also feels looser and easier to bend, so I'll most certainly be keeping the setup.

I'll also be switching to D'Addario strings; brilliant quality and I can't see why I've not used them before.

G3rds tend to go out of tune most typically through severe bendings, but my only serious tuning trouble is caused by the D4th on my Ibanez AR 720. Its winding turns tend to get seized in the nut slot. I have to lubricate it every few days. Each to their own. [biggrin]

G3rds tend to go out of tune most typically through severe bendings, but my only serious tuning trouble is caused by the D4th on my Ibanez AR 720. Its winding turns tend to get seized in the nut ****. I have to lubricate it every few days. Each to their own. [biggrin]

Would nut lubricant do anything when I've got a GraphTech TUSQ nut installed? The nut helped with some tuning issues when first installed, but the G3 still slipped on occasion, and fell out of tune quicker than any other.

Would nut lubricant do anything when I've got a GraphTech TUSQ nut installed? The nut helped with some tuning issues when first installed, but the G3 still slipped on occasion, and fell out of tune quicker than any other.

I think it should be of help, regardless of nut material.

Sorry for my typing error, I obviously hit a u instead of an o when wanting to type "nut slot" [blush] Perhaps I should have tried "groove" instead [rolleyes]

I think it should be of help, regardless of nut material.

Sorry for my typing error, I obviously hit a u instead of an o when wanting to type "nut slot" [blush] Perhaps I should have tried "groove" instead [rolleyes]

[lol] heheheh

Switched over to the suggested idea this weekend; changed from a straight 17 to a 17w. It's made a tremendous difference; testing by doing some heavy chording and lots of bends, and the string did not fail tuning nearly as frequently before.

The wound string also feels looser and easier to bend, so I'll most certainly be keeping the setup.

I'll also be switching to D'Addario strings; brilliant quality and I can't see why I've not used them before.

i'm extremely happy that my suggestion has worked for you as well!

Archived