Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 12 fret vs J-35 Collectors Edition

Fbeard

Can anyone give me an idea about how the tone of these 2 would compare. Would the 12 fretter SJ likely have a better tone across all the strings, or could the CE any advantage?

The MAP is the same, so which one of these would y'all recommend?

Traditionally, many of us stick with 12 fretters because they tended to have wider necks and more generous string spacing. I do not, however, think this will be the case with the J-45 as I doubt Gibson is making the 12 fret version with a 13/16" or 1 7/8" nut. If they did, I might be all over one.

With all things being equal, the main difference in sound has to do with the bridge placement on a 12 fret guitar as compared to a 14 fret instrument. While I suck at describing sound, with a 12 fret guitar it is like it takes a bit away from the mids and gives it to the low and high end. I, as example, seem to be able to pull more of a low end growl out of a 12 fretter than a 14 fretter. But while it just might be my old ears, when it comes to 12 and 14 fret guitars, I swear that I hear more of a difference between small body guitars than larger body guitars like a J-45.

In the end though it may just come down to how much you would miss those couple of frets and how the J-45 feels compared to the J-35. Gotta admit there are days when I do wish my 12 fret guitars had just one more fret.

Did somebody say 2015 Southern Jumbo 12 fret? Lol!

I've been hacking away on guitars for 25 years or so, not until I got my J-200 back in 2007, did I realize what I was missing. Not just the J-200, but high end guitars in general.

I was hooked all over again. Totally in love with my J-200.

Fast forward to 2015, the SJ12f gave me that feeling again.

Man! What a guitar! Totally smitten with this new one.

I hope I'm not getting addicted to high end guitars.

Have I become a guitar nerd like you guys? Lol!!!

• 1 month later...

I didn't know that Gibson had a J-45 12th fret in production. Is it a custom run for a dealer? How much? Does anyone here have one? I would love to see a photo of it if possible.

There is one called GIBSON MONTANA STAGE DELUXE LIMITED EDITION, which is 12-fret with a wider neck and a rectangular bridge (not belly). Don't know the rules about posting dealer links, but it is easy to find,

• 5 years later...