Gibson Brands Forums

F-25 expert needed

DCBirdMan

I have had 2 of these, first a '67, then now a '64. Loud little suckers .. wide neck is cool but I remember the neck on the 67 being a fairly conventional radius, but the neck on this '64 is just about flat. I recall reading about some slight construction changes to this model in 65 or so... I know this model was sort of to have a classical guitar vibe, but w/ 13 bronze it really barks. But does any one have a later 60s one with a more conventional neck radius?

Also totally unrelated, Gibson never made (best I can tell) a full-depth arch top electric with a 14.5" body (same lower bout as b-25, LGs) 16" is larger than I like and ES-175s, etc are all that width.

RB

I am not an "expert," but we have one. Ours is in the middle -- a 65. I have had a lot of on-line discussion about these guitars, and as near as I can tell, there was quite a large change in tone between early and late. But this is just from discussion -- you have actually had a newer and an older.

Ours is after the neck machine came in in 65 -- 13 degree headstock. It is really powerful -- our strongest 60s Gibson by far. It was one of those guitars we did not like all that much until we found how to use it -- then we fell in love.

Best,

-Tom

I've had mine since '83, a '66 vintage. It has a flat fingerboard just like a classical guitar. That's why I bought it, I was used to playing a classical and wanted a steel string but they all had necks that were too skinny for me. Then I found mine in a pawn shop for cheap - $150 - and immediately fell in love. I had found my life partner guitar.

Archived