Gibson Brands Forums

In-case humidifier

Bluemoon

So I took my Les Paul Standard in for a setup because the neck was slightly bowed. The tech adjusted the neck and suggested I put a humidifier in the case. I live in Chicago and it is almost impossible to keep my house above 35% humidity in the winter.

So two questions.

1. Can I place an in-case humidifier in the pick/accessory compartment of the case? Or will that reduce the effectiveness of the humidifier.

2. If I start to humidify the case will the neck get out of whack again because of the increase in humidity?

Optimally you should use a room humidifier and aim for about 50% RH (=/- 5%) at about 75 f. (=/- 2)...

Not only will all of your guitars be better off, but so will your furniture and your own comfort. Guitars, wood and people are all more comfortable in that range.

I emailed Gibson telling them about the problem and lack of humidity in my house. Here's their answer:

"Thanks for contacting Gibson. I would possibly recommend a humidifier for an acoustic instrument, but probably not for your Les Paul. I would recommend using Gibson fingerboard conditioner or pure lemon oil once a year to re-hydrate the natural oils in you fingerboard."

So an in-case humidifier sounds like a bad idea.

Best is if you´re able to keep room humidity at around 50%. But in general electric guitars aren´t that critical. But that naturally depends on where you´re living. If there are dramatic differences from summer to winter for example you should do something about it. But a room humidifier will be better than in case.

Kurt

I had a humidifier installed for my House in Denver, it's very dry year round in Colorado, but sahara desert dry in the winter with the heater on. The humidifier was a great investment for general living conditions as well as my instruments as Col F mentioned. They are fairly inexpensive to have installed.

I live in Arkansas' date=' and as some of you may know the weather and changes are crazy. What should I do to help my household humidity?[/quote']

Nothing. I think you guys are fine. It's us folks up north where the cold weather and the use of heating 24/7 that turns the air bone dry.

I had a humidifier installed for my House in Denver' date=' it's very dry year round in Colorado, but sahara desert dry in the winter with the heater on. The humidifier was a great investment for general living conditions as well as my instruments as Col F mentioned. They are fairly inexpensive to have installed.[/quote']

Yeah I had one installed when we built our house too. It's one of the best investments you can make. I've been using humidipak by Planet Waves in my Taylor acoustic (unfortunately they discontinued them due to leak problems), but the pack never got hard during the winter months. So I think I've got pretty good humidity control in the house.

Archived