Gibson Brands Forums

Larger Body Test Trax

BluesKing777

NOTE: All those tracks had to be DELETED to make space on ShiteCloud!

So all gone and ignore the following!

BluesKing777.

I recorded 2 tracks for you to guess which is which guitar...... :rolleyes:

Elixir strings on both guitars......

I tried to play the same way on each track - some Lightning Hopkins type riffs from Kenny Sultan book on music stand in front of me. (Also a flock of birds landed outside my music room window.........)

So which is the Martin d28 (*HD28v) and which is the Gibson J45

BluesKing777.

Yes,

Track 1 = long scale Martin

Track 2 = Gibson

Either way (50-50 chance, any way), lots of fun, this stuff. Thanks for recording those. Nice pickin', and a good sound, too.

And thx for having them both on the same strings.

I'll go the opposite.Without great conviction.Track 1 Gibson.Can't have everyone being right...or wrong [biggrin].

But number 1 sounds not so far from how my same year 2010 J-45 standard sounds, but neither does 2 for that matter.But I've never had Elixer's on it either.

hey BK my serial number is 10460013, wonder how close it is to yours?

I'll go the opposite.Without great conviction.Track 1 Gibson.Can't have everyone being right...or wrong [biggrin].

But number 1 sounds not so far from how my same year 2010 J-45 standard sounds, but neither does 2 for that matter.But I've never had Elixer's on it either.

hey BK my serial number is 10460013, wonder how close it is to yours?

My J45 is S/N12530011.

I am really enjoying the Elixirs on the guitars I have put them on - I guess I am convinced by the sound and feel of the 80/20s, which are not a huge difference in sound from the Gibson MBs, YMMV! The first Elixirs I used years back were the Polywebs with a thick white coating that looked and felt very strange at the time, but they certainly lasted a very long time.

BluesKing777.

My J45 is S/N12530011.

I am really enjoying the Elixirs on the guitars I have put them on - I guess I am convinced by the sound and feel of the 80/20s, which are not a huge difference in sound from the Gibson MBs, YMMV! The first Elixirs I used years back were the Polywebs with a thick white coating that looked and felt very strange at the time, but they certainly lasted a very long time.

BluesKing777.

so mine was finished on day 46 of 2010...yours was day 253. I have the vintage model [biggrin]

I'm going with FB.martin is second track

Likewise, Im pretty sure the second one is the Martin as a its a thicker, richer tone and bass really dominates .... either that or its the bassiest J-45 on the planet.

But i will throw a protest as i think its not fair comparing with Elxirs on as all they do as is make different guitars sound more similar that bring out the distinctive tone of each guitar.

Likewise, Im pretty sure the second one is the Martin as a its a thicker, richer tone and bass really dominates .... either that or its the bassiest J-45 on the planet.

But i will throw a protest as i think its not fair comparing with Elxirs on as all they do as is make different guitars sound more similar that bring out the distinctive tone of each guitar.

Good point about the Elixirs, EA... Is that what happens? They make all guitars sound like.....Elixirs?

Lucky I like the sound, then, and I hope they last a long while because I spiked my fingers with the old string removal 3 times yesterday!

BluesKing777.

Oh really, fellas? Hopefully sound professor TomB (tpbiii) will soon weigh in on this coin toss & put an end to all of this dissension : 0 !

re: the Elixirs: so apparently, Taylors ship with them- and the Elixirs do have a tendency to help with an overly bright guitar. Legendary longevity aside, the reduced string noise is a big plus, and I need all the help I can get in that department.

A few changes to the game....

Yesterday when I recorded the tracks, I originally played FOUR guitars, same tune, in a row on one recording track, like the previous tests....

But Soundcloud wouldn't let me load the file and I tried a number of times, so thinking maybe there is a limit or such, I went back to recording studio A (also known as the Music Room) and at great expense to the management, copied the file 4 times and then made the 4 individual files. Back at Soundcloud,I loaded the first 2 tracks (above) but it would NOT let me load the next 2, so i think the Internet was having a hissy.

I tried just then and it let me load the next 2 tracks, so if you are interested, here are TWO MORE different guitars playing the same tune also with Elixirs...(Yes, I bought the company!)

One is a Gibson L-0 and the other is a Martin CEO7........

https://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/l-b-trax3

https://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/l-b-trax4

BluesKing777.

As the game show host does....results soon..,after a word from a 150 sponsors.....

BluesKing777.

Let me guess:

"Brought to you by ELIXIR strings. The ONLY string that sounds the same eating fried chicken at your gilrfriends, Popsicle's on the porch, or in the studio".

Well you don't want to watch Alf Hitchcock and visit here - the Princess puts water out daily in an improvised bird bath with a large bowl on top of an old garden pot in 2 spots - the birds love it and line up to take turns - the cats next door love it - and the Hound is generally terrified of all the goings on.......

There are worse sounds from the people around here and I could get soundproofing, but you know it is a bit claustrophobic after my early years in rehearsal rooms and home made studios lined in foam and egg cartons and after 10 minutes there is no air left.... So I am running with the luck of the draw style home recording and if you listen to some of my tracks over the years, there is often a phone ringing on my fade-outs at the end of the tracks! Party over unless we remember to put my phone on mute......

So no guesses for the smaller guitars in track 3 and 4?

I will leave the answers a bit longer, because last time, people were answering after I had given them! [laugh]

BluesKing777.

Archived