Gibson Brands Forums

Whoa! Whatta band!!!

flyingfrets

...Incredible fusion of Gospel, Blues, Jazz & Rock. No pretensions, just great music...

Agreed.

They were on the BBC's 'Later - with Jools Holland' show a couple of years ago and they were fantastic.

[thumbup]

P.

Her name is Brittany Howard and yeah, that is one magnificent voice. She doesn't need the pre-fabbed image machine that all the Katy's & Jessica's do. She delivers the goods with nothing more than her SG (she's got some smokin' rhythm chops too) and her voice. I'm all kinds of impressed and I'm usually a pretty jaded cynic about "new" music.

She doesn't need the pre-fabbed image machine that all the Katy's & Jessica's do.

I've had enough of those gals to last me a life time already and I don't have a single one of their tunes in my library. 15 minutes is up when???

However, I will be adding some of these guys though. Money talks, BS walks.. and that voice IS money

Yeah, they're the real deal. I've been on to them since "Hold On" came out. Recently read where they just released their second album (CD?) and it's a real fusion of styles. They've got the goods! [thumbup]

Edit: and the lead guitar player, Heath Fogg, plays a Sherry (see the hold on video)

They were on Austin city limits or ne of those programs on pbs tv channel while back. I was impressed as well and this is really not even my type of genre. It got me out to buy their cd. Its just something fresh and real sounding. It comes from a real place ,not one of those try to impress bands by selling themselves out.

They were on Austin city limits or ne of those programs on pbs tv channel while back. I was impressed as well and this is really not even my type of genre. It got me out to buy their cd. Its just something fresh and real sounding. It comes from a real place ,not one of those try to impress bands by selling themselves out.

But "The Industry" still insists on pigeon holing everything, so I generally hear them lumped into a genre referred to as "roots rock." Call it what you will, my initial assessment still holds for me. I hear a rock beat that can still swing when needed, the vocal delivery has definite gospel and jazz overtones, the piano jangles along at an almost '50s boogie clip, and the guitar lines strike me as pretty bluesy, especially on some of their slower tracks.

That they can almost seamlessly blend all those different styles and put them across so convincingly shows the skill of the entire band. As the front woman, yes, most attention is focused on Brittany Howard (and you really can't ignore that voice), but I think that unfairly sells the rest of the band short. This seems to be an example of everyone bringing their individual influences to the table and as a band, delivering them with sincere conviction.

All in all, to my ears, even if you don't care for them, they're what a band should, and music can be.

Archived