Gibson Brands Forums

Rock-n-Roll Biographies: Who Do You Recommend?

Californiaman

I've had the pleasure recently of reading a few solid biographies of some of our most revered and most infamous entertainers and musicians.

I would like to recommend the following to you:

Jerry Hopkins, "Now One Here Gets Out Alive"

David Henderson, "Scuse Me While I Kiss the Sky"

Eric Clapton, "Clapton"

Slash with Anthony Bozza, "Slash"

Who do you recommend?

Everyone who is slightly interested in Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton has to read those:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eric-Clapton-Autobiography/dp/1846051606/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232485944&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jimi-Hendrix-Man-Magic-Truth/dp/0330433539

And if you buy another biography of hendrix that's not the Sharon Lawrence's one, you are a fool.

I've had the pleasure recently of reading a few solid biographies of some of our most revered and most infamous entertainers and musicians.

I would like to recommend the following to you:

Jerry Hopkins' date=' "Now One Here Gets Out Alive"

David Henderson, "Scuse Me While I Kiss the Sky"

Eric Clapton, "Clapton"

Slash with Anthony Bozza, "Slash"

Who do you recommend?[/quote']

I really enjoyed Willie Nelson's bio but found Clapton's borderline depressing. He was a real eff-up in his time; wasn't he?

I don't read a lot of rock bios. However' date=' I would strongly recommend the book "I am America (and so can you)" by Stephen Colbert. It actually won the presitigious Stephen Colbert award for Outsanding Achievment in Literary Excellence.[/quote']

+5 The last book you will ever need to buy. Go read Stephen Colbert's review of the book, that's what swayed me to buy it.

But if not, I recommend "Clapton." I haven't read it in full, but I've read a few parts from it and intend to read it all. I never knew how bad his drug addiction was...

The two volume Elvis bios by Peter Guralnick:

Last Train to Memphis

Careless Love

They'e so detailed, it will take you a year or more to read them both!

Go, Cat, Go - The Carl Perkins bio by Perkins and David McGee

Heavy Load - The Free story by David Clayton and Todd Smith

Heavy Load - The Free story by David Clayton and Todd Smith

+1 I am reading this now. And something odd I was just thinking about creating this very thread' date=' so I am enjoying hearing the recommendations.

Another good one I am in the middle of is titled [i']Strange Brew: Eric Clapton and the British Blues Boom[/i] It's a very exhaustive day by day account of the British blues scene between 1965 and 1970. Not a quick read, but good stuff if you are into that period.

I read the Clapton auto-bio. A student gave it to me as a Christmas gift. It was just okay. For self-penned stuff the Bob Dylan auto-bio was a lot better.

Also I got the Beatle's Gear book for Christmas and am looking forward to starting it.

Did Randy Rhoads Biography come out?

Also the Slash one is really bad i know 2 hardcore slash fans who read it and said it wasnt worth buying. One funny thing if u look at the clapton book the most common word is powder.

Did Randy Rhoads Biography come out?

Also the Slash one is really bad i know 2 hardcore slash fans who read it and said it wasnt worth buying. One funny thing if u look at the clapton book the most common word is powder.

I don't believe that a Randy Rhoads Biography come out.

I've just started reading Slash's book. I like it so far. Have you read it, or are you going to take the word of your friend. I would prefer to read it and make a decision myself.

Yes, Eric Clapton "had" a well publicized drug addiction; heroine. Thankfully he kicked it. Unfortunately it took the lives of several of his close friends. We also have the Crossroads Benefit Concerts and the Crossroads Rehabilitation Institution as a result of his desire to be drug free and help other people. I for one loved Clapton's Biography. It was a first hand view of the British Invasion. I've seen him in concert on two occasions and unlike some of my older friends who saw him in the '70 and early '80s, he did not disappoint. One of those shows featured Nathan East and Phil Collins.

Next on my list after Slash will be Niki Sixx's Heroine Diaries. I have that album and it's phenomenal.

Archived