Gibson Brands Forums

Songs with two electric guitar parts

PelhamBlueFire

Do you know any well-known rock songs with two guitar parts? I have always been the sole guitarist in my bands, but now, I have been asked to play along with a band to get them going, until they find a new guitar player; it is like a new, short and fresh project. I really want to help these guys out. They're good lads.

We have two guitar players, a bass player, and a drummer. The other guitarist is also the singer. I am the lead guitarist. We will play rock, mostly, and we will only play covers. At least, for now.

So, what songs would you suggest we pick up? I am looking for songs where both guitar players have their own distinct guitar part.

Thanks for the help, guys. I appreciate it.

Two guitar players always have to move their parts around in order to not make a wall of mush up there. So the arrangement, each guitar player making their own distinct part is important if you want to sound decent.

rct

Two guitar players always have to move their parts around in order to not make a wall of mush up there. So the arrangement, each guitar player making their own distinct part is important if you want to sound decent.

rct

Oh sure, I understand that. But I am merely asking for ideas on songs that - already - have two separate guitar parts. That's all I'm asking, mate.

Either way, I am open to all tips and ideas. So, what you mentioned is the most important thing to bear in mind.

I haven't heard this one in decades!!! One of the GREAT 1st albums....R.I.P Ronnie.

But anyway - you could do worse than start with something like 'Layla' then check out some Thin Lizzy, Wishbone Ash where there are always harmony guitar parts.

And any Zep studio number or any Beatles song has at least 2 distinct guitar parts....We do "Man On the Moon" by REM in our set and I'm amazed at all the parts in it when I listen closely to the recording....

Or how about a bit of Adrian Belew-era King Crimson? 2 very distinct guitar parts, would keep you busy!! [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

Ha! I knew someone would chime in with 'Hotel California' first off the bat. Had to, just no denying that unmistakable Felder/Walsh partnership. Don not only showed us how to play a solo within a chord and key, but how to dance and duel with another soloist at the same time as well. More great examples of he and Joe working together are,

'Life In The Fast Lane'

'Witchy Woman'

'One Of These Nights'

'The Long Run'

'Already Gone'

and many more of theirs.

Plus other bands work worthy consideration-

Bad Company

Boston

Thin Lizzy

The Doobie Brothers

early Fleetwood Mac

Foreigner

Heart

LRB

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Humble Pie

Ram Jam

Rod Stewarts album 'Atlantic Crossing'

Skyhooks

Status Quo

Steely Dan

Steve Miller Band

APP

The Angels

The Sweet

The Tornado's

The Atlantics

Kansas

Just a little something for you to contemplate...

[unsure]

Gotta be Skynyrd for me! Although I am pretty sure there may well be more than 2 guitars at any one time, I dare say with a little special arrangement, you can muster on through with two.

I've always found two guitarists with different (but complimentary) tonal soundscapes works better than two competing sounds.

I've always found two guitarists with different (but complimentary) tonal soundscapes works better than two competing sounds.

May depend on songs and styles.

When about Lynyrd Skynyrd, I've read Ed King saying they made him play a Strat although he would have preferred a Les Paul. I think he did well playing a Strat though.

On the other hand there were bands like Thin Lizzy who sounded great with two Les Paul guitars and close sound settings.

If the sound is mainly determined by high-gain amp tones as with Judas Priest, it can be hard to discern which part is played on a Strat and which on a Flying V.

Just my two cents...

May depend on songs and styles.

When about Lynyrd Skynyrd, I've read Ed King saying they made him play a Strat although he would have preferred a Les Paul. I think he did well playing a Strat though.

On the other hand there were bands like Thin Lizzy who sounded great with two Les Paul guitars and close sound settings.

If the sound is mainly determined by high-gain amp tones as with Judas Priest, it can be hard to discern which part is played on a Strat and which on a Flying V.

Just my two cents...

Oh I agree entirely. Sometimes you need the separation of tone, especially when there is a lot going on in the song. Sometimes you can get away with tones being similar (like you say, Thin Lizzy for example).

IT SUCKS HAVING THIS FILTER AT WORK! Can't see the videos posted...SHEESH!...it's like they want me to work or something! [flapper]

So if this redundant, sorry! Marshall Paul pretty much covered every band known to man featuring two or three guitars...LOL! Nice job Bro!

I listed a few not mentioned yet (I think...)

Whenever I think of two GREAT guitar parts as you asked for, I think of

The Allman Brothers

The Outlaws (Florida type, not the C/W type)

and many listed previously.

BUT for songs? Well: I'm a classic rock / southern rock oriented guy. "Soulshine" (Allman Bros.); "Green Grass / High Tides" (Outlaws); "One Way Out" (Allman Bros.); "Out Go The Lights" (forget who did this originally?); "Blue Sky" (Allman Bros.); "40,000 Headmen" (Dave Mason); "Feelin' Alright" (Dave Mason); "Hurry Sundown" (Outlaws); "Train Train", "Highway Song" (Blackfoot); "More Than a Feeling" (Boston); "Jessica" (Allman Bros.); "Cocaine", "Travelin Light", (JJ Cale); "30 Days in The Hole" , "I Don't Need No Doctor" Humble Pie, "China Grove", "Rockin' Doen the Highway" Doobies.

Band-Wise; Little Feat, Widespread Panic too! I'm not a Grateful Dead fan (Where is that "ducking" emoticon?) but yeah, them too.

Hope this helped. Too many songs to list.

Brian

A guitarist friend of mine once stated that having 2 guitars just got in the way of each other and was pointless! I always thought this was a pretty insane thing to say given that countless bands use 2 & sometimes even 3 guitarists for good reason. There really are too many bands to list who have used 2 guitarist to great effect.

Oddly, I have been listening to early Sheryl Crow albums lately and her guitar players had some nice interplay. One of them has a Hipshot B Bender to get pedal steel sounds out of his guitar and the other plays some nice rhythm parts on tunes off 'The Globe Sessions' & her self titled album.

For multiple guitar parts some post rock bands like Godspeed You Black Emperor and Mogwai have some great melodic ideas. Prog band the Mars Volta used multiple overdubs on many of their albums and experimented with unusual sounds. John Frusciante from RHCP played alongside Omar Rodriguez Lopez on most of their records.

For classic rock/ hard rock;

AC/DC

Guns N Roses

Aerosmith

Pearl Jam

etc...

Archived