Gibson Brands Forums

Martin's New Dreadnaughts…….lol

onewilyfool

It is always odd to me that people mock back and forth about Gibson or Martin guitars. At times, both companies have excelled making beautiful instruments, and I would think people might be more likely to embrace and support both companies.

It is all fine and well to laugh at special models Martin comes up with to try to generate interest in their tired brand, but Gibson has indeed produced similar models that are easy to trash. Have a look through some 1980s Gibson catalogues before you judge Martin inept.

Guitars should always be evaluated by playing and hearing them. I am not sure there is a great value to making mock of a photo of two guitars. Doing so is the domain of collectors, not players.

I would love to hear from someone who has actually played one of these guitars.

Ballcomer…..maybe sound is the only criteria for you when buying a guitar, but I think for myself, and for many, guitars really involve almost all the senses. If a guitar is beautiful to the eye, it is also attracting me, and I'm sorry, to my eye, these guitars are not beautiful…at most they are "gimmicky". Just an opinion, not "mocking", not "brand bashing"….lol…..I mean REALLY, guys lighten up. Also the senses of touch and feel are important, and even smell when you have a nice Rosewood, Honduran Mahogany, or Cedar guitar. So these two didn't float my boat, others like them, sounding good or not, I would just never even consider either one of these.

Personally, visual appeal is always a part of the equation when I'm considering an instrument. What percentage I can't exactly tell you, and it probably varies from one guitar to the next, but it has a significant impact.

And like most everyone, I have my own likes & dislikes - one of the dislikes being square-shouldered dreads, whether they come from Martin, Gibson, Guild, or anyone else. I do have one Martin D, and that's more than enough.

I've owned quite a few Martins over the years & respect the quality of their product, but with Martin being so square-shoulder-centric, it makes it easy for me to yawn at much of their production.

Fortunately, there are many other fine options to choose from in the world of guitars!

Ballcomer…..maybe sound is the only criteria for you when buying a guitar, but I think for myself, and for many, guitars really involve almost all the senses. If a guitar is beautiful to the eye, it is also attracting me, and I'm sorry, to my eye, these guitars are not beautiful…at most they are "gimmicky". Just an opinion, not "mocking", not "brand bashing"….lol…..I mean REALLY, guys lighten up. Also the senses of touch and feel are important, and even smell when you have a nice Rosewood, Honduran Mahogany, or Cedar guitar. So these two didn't float my boat, others like them, sounding good or not, I would just never even consider either one of these.

The best guitar player I ever knew had a nylon string guitar that cost $189 - a Hondo. He performed on a Ramirez, but did all his recordings on the Hondo. I am always going to be in the camp of sound matters more than anything.

Archived