Gibson Brands Forums

The voice of your guitar

Glorbon

Alright i've had a Gibson for couple of months now and finally i realised what really defines a "good" instrument from another.

There are alot of cheap guitars out there on the market, with dull monotone voices. Well Gibson guitar tend to change their voices depending on the weather or other factors.

infact my Gibson J-45, sounds best after a walk in a rainyday (in her case) and then being detuned just to be retuned again. Then the Guitar will have the sweetest deepest most crisp sound ever.

Im still a little stunned that the guitar acually sounds better if it has been out on a walk during the day. There have been days when i've thought that a Fender acoustic guitar sounded better then my Gibby, well that's caus' she got her own special voice, and some days her voice may be soar or something.

Then some other days her voice will be so heavenly that one strum will send me right to heaven.

Have u guys experienced this that the guitar sound different depending on the weather, and how you treat it during the day. Does your guitar become happy after a walk in a springtime rain?

I'm a little curious about this, when do u think your guitar sounds the best?

haha yeah ofcourse, just don't get one in leather, that might damage the finish :-k

Seriously i think that guitars do benefit to get some fresh air. Sometimes when i travel to the countryside i will sit by the fresh ocean and play, then the sound will be so amazing.

Proper humidity (45-50%) will indeed make your guitar sound better. If your home is very dry, as many are in winter, the walk probably allows a certain amount of moisture to reach the wood and improve the tone. Your Fender might sound better sometimes because plywood is always consistent.

I love this thread! LOL

I can't say I've ever taken my guitar for a walk on a moonlit beach...LOL I'm just not much of a romantic I guess.

I can say, that my Larrivee seems to prefer the fall. Crazy as it sounds to say it, it just seemed to sing better than ever last September. Right now it just isn't at it's best. I've got the room humidity at about 40-50%. Maybe it is cabin fever, but I know I won't be taking it for any walks anytime soon!

I recently experienced my Hummingbird either opening up dramatically, or having a major mood swing...it has always sounded great, but a little tight and restrained. I figured that this would play out of the guitar over time, and on Sunday I put a fresh set of string on it and BOOM! There it was. HUGE tone, deep, chocolatey bass, singing highs and velvety mids, a vast improvement in responsiveness and just a general eureka moment.

On Monday I flew out to Cannes with it to play the Midem festival and played the gig of my life, complete with very inspiring guitar tone. Funny how things happen, innit?

The usual perceived wisdom is that, other issues aside, 'dry' guitars sound better than 'wet' ones. It's an opinion I tend to share. Perhaps your guitar just enjoys getting out and meeting folks, seeing the scenery etc. I asked my Gibbies if they would like to go out, but they said they were quite comfortable, in their beds, thank you...

(edit - oops - i before e except after c...)

I'm not fortunate enough to own any Gibson acoustics, but I will say that the time I was most pleased with my Seagull's tone was when I was entertaining my friends during a small picnic in the nearby forest park. As superstitious as it sounds, I think my guitar enjoyed the natural setting :D

My J-180 always sounds it's best after a few Jim Beam and ginger-ale. Somethimes when humidity is just

right and strings are about 1 week old.....all it takes is a couple of beers and a pizza.

My ES-335 is best sounding with a margarita on the rocks, never frozen.

My Les-Paul likes Rum & Coke.

EPI AJ-200....Firefly sweet-tea flavored vodka.

Fender Strat....Jack Daniels if you please.

Washburn.....All of the above.=D>

Archived