Gibson Brands Forums

Ladies & gentlemen - the Martelle Deluxe

E-minor7

Both pretty cool. Are you in the hunt for a 12 fretter? Both of these sport rather trimmed down necks from the origonal, looks like. The few Smecks I've played, Ok, just one, had wider necks, though they had been narrowed a bit. I qould have expected the Fellowship clip to be a bit more robust. I'll listen again later thru headphones.

Both pretty cool. Are you in the hunt for a 12 fretter? Both of these sport rather trimmed down necks from the origonal, looks like. The few Smecks I've played, Ok, just one, had wider necks, though they had been narrowed a bit. I qould have expected the Fellowship clip to be a bit more robust. I'll listen again later thru headphones.

No, they are too big for me - my F-bird and the re-necked '66 CW give plenty.

But intriguing guitars and I'd like to try a few in person. .

The R.S. sounds terrific in the cans - so warm, both mellow and crisp. .

I've been stuck on this video of Eric Schoenberg and the Martelle Deluxe for the last month or so. Just made a wisecrack text reply 15 minutes ago to a guitar playing friend who saw the Hank Williams version of

played with Hank's late '40's early '50's SJ. Friend trying to tell me the SJ is/was most awesome guitar from Gibson, to which I replied the most awesomest guitar Gibson never (officially) built was the Martelle Dee-Luxe!

Eric is as talented a player as he is a luthier. Much fingerstylie to sink one's fingers into in his version of Hey Good Lookin', which starts at t= 4:11 in the Martelle vid.

No, they are too big for me - my F-bird and the re-necked '66 CW give plenty.

Too big for the guy in the first clip too! It looked enormous and hard to play....sounded great.

Too small for the guy in the next clip! :mellow: Very weird after the first - are the 2 guitars the same size?

BluesKing777.

Too big for the guy in the first clip too!

- are the 2 guitars the same size?

He, , , would presume they are.

Btw. when I say big, it's not physically, rather too 'roomy', , , , like fx the original 12 fret Martin D-28 - now called HD-28VS.

[Eric is as talented a player as he is a luthier. Much fingerstylie to sink one's fingers into in his version of Hey Good Lookin', which starts at t= 4:11 in the Martelle vid. [/size]

In the 1970s Schoenberg was a regular at my old haunt the Town Crier Cafe. I recall sitting there just mesmerized by the guys fingers and thinking - how the heck does he do that.

It has been so many years, I do not really recall. But the LP of ragtime pieces he cut with Dave Laibman in the early 1970s was required listening for all acoustic players.

Only thing I can say is that if the Martelle Deluxe is for sale at his shop you will pay dearly for it.

Guess this little-big chamber-concert belongs in this thread. Put on the earphones and zoom in on 5:00 (or the seconds before).

Lots of wonderful acoustic sounds/playing/singing, , , and you can take the whole show and the Marts as well. .

Can't tell you how many times I've watched that particular Tiny Desk concert, but it's one of my favorites.

When you tune down one of those deep-bodied Smecks, the sound is nothing short of awesome. Headroom for days. Of course, Jackson could make almost anything sound special.

I've never played one of those, but I have some concerns about how that extra amount of depth impacts playability, if you play seated like I do these days. Even with a standard-depth J-body, the circulation in my right arm starts to get cut off after awhile, and my arm goes numb. Probably should start playing standing up again to get that box our from under my upper arm.

• 4 years later...

Hey Folks—Hope everyone is staying healthy. I am resurrecting this Zombie Thread to share information about Minerva Guitars.

Not the guitars built in Canada in the 30’s and 40’s, but new ones built by a young fellow in Tennessee named Issac Stroupe.
Here is his take on the ‘34 Martelle Deluxe which is the original subject of this thread. No affiliation, but I thought it sounded pretty nice.

https://youtu.be/8BQOjwQZ8Vg

Edited by bayoubengal1954