Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Walsh- Rocky Mountain Way

4Hayden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC9sRIsvjXI

This was one of my biggest influences to want to be a guitarist. I remember seeing this clip on 'The Old Grey Whistle Test' Years ago and I was astounded.

Without a doubt, his finest work right here. I still play this one. Just blows me away.

If anyone wants a TB but doesn't want to mess around with the Heil system and a preamp and all, Dunlop have put out a pedal that's pretty good too. Its the MXR222. Not too pricey either.

[thumbup]

Dr. Jekylls High Times? Galaxy? Penalty Box? Three Pines? No, not Mardi Gras? No way. Don't even say D1ck Lee's or Bogeys Circle.

rct

RCT,

I'll have to get back to you with the name, I know it was near Frenchtown. The waste, a terrible thing to mind, as it goes.

Al

RCT,

It was the Shady Lane. Huge barn of a structure in the middle of nowhere. Ever been there?

I don't recall that, no. I was right across from Philly growing up, so we had tonnes of places to play. We did play up that way occasionally, Elizabeth or the Amboys, but them places are all long gone. I'll ask around next time I see the fellas.

rct

Fist Bump rct

4H

Interesting...so I picked up this album when it came out (huge JW fan). The concert is based on a "Don Kirchners Rock Concet" that I'd also seen around that time. Absolutely stellar performances by Joe (and everyone who was in his band at the time including Don Felder and Jay Ferguson). You can now pull up the complete concert on You Tube. Great memories when music was good.

Interesting...so I picked up this album when it came out (huge JW fan). The concert is based on a "Don Kirchners Rock Concet" that I'd also seen around that time. Absolutely stellar performances by Joe (and everyone who was in his band at the time including Don Felder and Jay Ferguson). You can now pull up the complete concert on You Tube. Great memories when music was good.

What was the drummers name? He got half the writing credits I think. Not the James Gang guy, another guy that I can never remember.

rct

What was the drummers name? He got half the writing credits I think. Not the James Gang guy, another guy that I can never remember.

rct

Two drummers on that album...Andy Newmark and Joe Vitale (both R&R legends along with Steve Gadd)...

rct

Joe Vitale is the guy you are thinking of though...played with a hell of a lot of people in those days...

Meadows is one of my favs.

+1

[thumbup]

...I always enjoyed Joe's sense of humor...

Absolutely!

I always thought that this could almost have been written for a possible guest appearance on Sesame Street...

I'm a guy who 'discovered' Joe just as the James Gang became 'recent history' and who, later on, couldn't (at the time) understand why on Earth he'd quit his own solo scene to become 'just another' member of The Eagles. Watching the Eagles documentary answered that one in a satisfactory manner.

The inner sleeve of 'You Can't Argue' had me lusting after a flame-top Standard before I even knew what they were. I recall that the 'rear-shot' showing the Klusons, in particular, held a peculiar fascination for me.

In the old gigging days I also preferred playing 'Turn to Stone' in favour of RMW but now I probably regard them as equals.

pip.

P.

+1

[thumbup]

Absolutely!

I always thought that this could almost have been written for a possible guest appearance on Sesame Street...

I'm a guy who 'discovered' Joe just as the James Gang became 'recent history' and who, later on, couldn't (at the time) understand why on Earth he'd quit his own solo scene to become 'just another' member of The Eagles. Watching the Eagles documentary answered that one in a satisfactory manner.

The inner sleeve of 'You Can't Argue' had me lusting after a flame-top Standard before I even knew what they were. I recall that the 'rear-shot' showing the Klusons, in particular, held a peculiar fascination for me.

In the old gigging days I also preferred playing 'Turn to Stone' in favour of RMW but now I probably regard them as equals.

pip.

P.

pip I thought Joe was good with the James Gang then even better with the Eagles , Life's Been Good came out and I played it till my fingers bled. Love the start of that song and I lost my license now I don't drive hit the nail on the head = was me lol, he's the reason I played like I did.

4H

In the interests of accuracy I thought I'd mention my semi-brainfart in post #37.

The shot showing the Klusons which so interested me was, as stated, from YCAWaSM but the 'burst shot was from 'So What?'.

I always wondered why he had a rear-view-mirror on that mic-stand..........[blink]

YCAinner_zps727d59b3.jpg

So What?

SWinner_zpsf8b99b7e.jpg

Apologies for any confusion!

Pip.

I like Joe too. Though this is another of those beat to death by radio songs. One of the best things

about Joe to me is his acoustic guitar playing. He put it all over every album. It gets a little

overlooked by the electric stuff sometimes - same could be said for Keef...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf6Z6UBz6ws

uncanny sense of rhythm and expressiveness [thumbup]

Meadows is one of my favs.

yup!

Played all these when we were kids on up through our forties, I still listen to it front to back once a month whether I need it or not:

3379257.jpg

rct

this one was never far away from the ol' 8 track!

+1

[thumbup]

Absolutely!

pip.

P.

Joe Walsh was the best thing that ever happened to the Eagles!

"Meadows"... [laugh] Well, wuhma lily wah-wah, bippy baba-loola, whoaOo-yeah, Aaaahh, Aaaaaaaaahh, Aaaahh, Aaaaaaaaaaaaahh!!!

Also love the lyrics to "Time Out" ... The maids are in the hallway bangin' at the door, asking what the funny smell was, wake you up and tell you it's okay to sleep some more, by the way is there any you can sell us? [lol]

This is a picture of the Meadow at Longwood Gardens out there south and west of Philly. We go usually couple times a year, spend the night for the christmas lights, stuff like that. Every visit without fail in all of our lives Mrs has indulged me as I head out there to sing that great song. Used to be an old stone wall I could sit on for a while and meditate. Nobody around for miles, can just bellow that thing. I love it and look forward to it.

Longwood-Meadows_1839_carousel.jpg

rct

This is a picture of the Meadow at Longwood Gardens out there south and west of Philly. We go usually couple times a year, spend the night for the christmas lights, stuff like that. Every visit without fail in all of our lives Mrs has indulged me as I head out there to sing that great song. Used to be an old stone wall I could sit on for a while and meditate. Nobody around for miles, can just bellow that thing. I love it and look forward to it.

Longwood-Meadows_1839_carousel.jpg

rct

We had to be twins separated at birth , we're to much alike

4H

• 1 month later...
1433367836[/url]' post='1663819']

I was just watching this cool version [thumbup]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeyvhA4zKT4

Just reading through all the posts. Wife & I love the Eagles, saw them perform 3 times now. Joe Walsh is my favorite. With so many of you in big bands, sometimes I feel like I don't even belong here but if you all can play like this video Rabs posted here you definitely have my standing ovation!msp_thumbup.gif I never played in any band, but it sounds like you guys are awsome.eusa_clap.gif

L8,

Thanks for the J.W.

' County Fair " has always been one of my more Favorite " Overlooked " tunes of Joe's..I am still a big James Gang fan..Love that early period when he was putting some really deep though / emotion into the work musically & lyrically...

I free lanced roadied a few Eagles - " The Long Run " shows back in 80's...Folks were always ROCKED, ( not stoned ) ROCKED !!!!

Met Joe post sound check / pre show. Always had a beer in hand if he didn't have his axe..I really got it '..Naw don't have any to sell, here's is a bud tho bro.. The smoker you drink,the player you get was definitely real with J.W.

Not always the best either as everyone has learned about J.W music during his really bad addiction days....Some of us managed with the Grace of GOD to straggle out the other side alive. I am really glad Joe is now sober ! What a GUITAR GIANT...The world is a better place with JOE WALSH to entertain us fans.

Thanks Mr. Walsh...

Thanks L8

X

Archived