Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage w/ bent neck

BustedLimb

What is the best way to approach an older guitar with an aged neck. I can see the bending in the neck with my bare eyes by looking down the neck from the bridge end. It is enough to cause the action to be quite high in the area where the neck meets the body, and makes bar chords hard to play compared to a lower action guitar. Its nothing too severe, however it is noticeable.

I basically want to make the instrument more playable. Its for the 1946 Gibson LG2 I had in my other thread.

Ok. Since I went to these lighter strings I can tell it isnt bent as much. I had some heavier Elixir strings on for a few weeks before I realized they were probably too heavy. I think it might be more beneficial to have the action lowered slightly as well.

Does your guitar have a truss rod?

I have a 70's hummingbird that when i got it (despite having numerous other problems) had a neck that looked about like a straight-away from space mountain.

I ended up having it fully repaired and plays perfectly now and is 100% stable. Related to the neck/action though the guitar got a neck reset and planing/leveling, refret, new bridge and new nut/saddle.

The shop where i go knows exactly what they're doing and really did a fantastic job with it it. Due to the amount of neck twist there was in order to get it straight and to the proper radius a decent amount of fretboard material needed to be removed. You would only notice it by inspection but enough of the board was planed down that fret marker for the first fret is pretty close to the surface (if that makes sense) that's to say that the neck twist remains but the fret board is perfectly set.

i'd originally taken it to a different shop who claimed to have a lot of experience with this sort of thing but proved not to. I'm glad i didn't have them proceed with the work on this guitar as they would have been figuring it out along the way.

I concur with what jchabalk said. If it doesn't have a trussrod, you can have the neck set and the fret board planed. I'm having that done to an old 1930's Epi archtop that I own right now. It won't necessarily be cheap, I think mine is going to run about $600+ for both the neck set and re-radius.

If you are saying the neck is curved (concave), then there is too much relief and that is a truss rod issue. If you are saying the angle of the neck to the body is elevated (causing high action in the upper frets) then it is a candidate for a neck reset. From the age of the guitar, I'd suspect it is neck angle.

What make, model and year is it?

You are indeed a blessed man BustedLimb. You live within a stone's throw from Griffin Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto. The head luthier, Frank Ford is probably this country's premier guit tar repair guy. When Ford talks people listen. He has a website Frets.com. He will give you the straight dope on restoring any guitar to playability.

Why not have Frank look at it?

p.s. the phone book has them listed as Griffin. Their store's website is spelled Griphonstrings.com

If you are saying the neck is curved (concave)' date=' then there is too much relief and that is a truss rod issue. If you are saying the angle of the neck to the body is elevated (causing high action in the upper frets) then it is a candidate for a neck reset. From the age of the guitar, I'd suspect it is neck angle.[/quote']

The neck block is still flush on the body, but as soon as the neck starts at the end of the block, you can see it bends up a little bit, and then straightens out again for the rest of the way. Looking at the fretboard its flat on the body, then at about the 12th or 13th fret it changes angle to a little bit upward and stays like the to whole way. So I guess its not curved the whole way, just at the point. Is this not something a truss rod tweak would help?

Because of this and worn frets, it is very difficult to press down every string on bar chords from the 5th fret up.

That is freaky wierd.. Sounds like there is a weak spot right where the neck starts..

Is the truss rod operable?

Would a broken TR manifest itself as a neck 'hinged' if you will at the heel?

Got any pics?

Archived