Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Strap

I use one of these. Really nice strap. Hand tooled. Gig every week with it. Should last a life time.

http://eldoradostraps.com/product/featured-guitar-straps/original-model-hand-tooled-leather-guitar-strap/

Quite a list of users. The owner of the company told me most of the time its the guitarist tech who source the straps on behalf of the artist, however Billy Gibbons actually called him to place an order..you can imagine his surprise.

I use one of these. Really nice strap. Hand tooled. Gig every week with it. Should last a life time.

http://eldoradostraps.com/product/featured-guitar-straps/original-model-hand-tooled-leather-guitar-strap/

Quite a list of users. The owner of the company told me most of the time its the guitarist tech who source the straps on behalf of the artist, however Billy Gibbons actually called him to place an order..you can imagine his surprise.

Nice stuff yes he does do excellent work.

Yeah, they're pretty. I still wouldn't let large Silver buckles around either of my Advanced Jumbos though. I'm permanently hitched to my suede leather strap. Plus Dan Fogelberg signed my old one, so I had to replace it. I've had three straps in 50 years, all identical except for color. I'm sure that normal people could use those straps with no scratches, but I'm a klutz.

To vote, after the polls have closed... I sprang for a similar strap a couple of 3 years ago for a similar price. Very thick and stiff - three layers in some spots. But it does lay across the shoulders just right and doesn't slip. I don't remember who I bought it from on the internet - he had lots of choices and some good lookers - all purported to be handmade. But, when I got it in the mail - the 'keeper' strap that attaches to the headstock and loops through itself on the main, actually handmade strap that attaches to your lower bout - was a different type of leather, somewhat inferior and faintly stamped 'made in mexico'. The strap will no way fit in the case on the guitar, nor will it fit in the little box for picks and things. it is otherwise fine - but I only attach it when I know I'm not going to be trying to pack up the guitar in a case. There is too much involved in getting straps on and off the way I attach them. Mine has a 3 or 4 brown unobtrusive, small metal 'buttons' that can't possibly scratch the guitar, but I would never get a strap with conchos, buckles or anything similar. Purdy, but too expensive for a wall hanging in a music room.

I guess this is just ONE MORE DANG THING I will have to learn how to do/build. [cursing] My first leather project (after all the Boy Scout stuff I made at camp as a Scoutmaster with my Troop) will be a braided leather short lead for each of my 2 Springer Spaniels. I'll see how those turn out and then think about a nice tooled strap for my Gretsch or something.

It is a VERY relaxing & enjoyable hobby/pastime at least IMHO.

Aster

I've got a thing for buckles and tooled leather and have no problem putting them on my guitars.

If it's strictly comfort I use the suede weaved one,

946A4CC9-F043-4113-8FBD-D16788110E3B_zpsfpwv6wqd.jpg

You're a brave man, Dave F. All those potential scratches!

That's quite a collection. Even a Hummingbird strap.

The suede one reminds me of a thread I started a few months back. A friend showed me a 1971 Martin D-18 that had been stored for years in its case with an embroidered suede strap under the back. The leather parts of the pattern reacted with the lacquer and left an exact 12-inch-long copy on the back of the guitar. Messed up an otherwise nice guitar.

I didn't make an offer for it because I knew I'd never be able to decide whether I should just live with the ugly scar or have the 44-year-old lacquer sanded off and refinished.

Out of curiosity, what do you folks think? Would you keep the ugly scar (it's on the back where it won't be seen) or have it sanded and refinished?

Anyone with an opinion feel free to jump in.

Thanks!

FMA

I would not consider a '71 a rare/vintage model and would have it refinished. Being lacquer they should be able to do it and you would never know. I have an '84 Martin in the shop getting the back redone for far less a reason.

I would not consider a '71 a rare/vintage model and would have it refinished.

Thanks for your answer, Dave. That's what I like about this forum: people who know what they're talking about are willing to enlighten people like me who don't.

It would have been a nice guitar with a refinished back.

FMA

Had a good laugh at the fear of metal buckles and conchos . . . . they were all over the place in the 80s. . . B)

They still are all over the place on at least two of my best straps. And I just wouldn't buy a strap without a proper metal buckle. I can't stand any other strap adjustment design. As for the conchos - they look great (IMO anyway). I have never had any kind of problem with them.

• 2 months later...

I made that strap in the first post. They're firm and beefy but there's nothing stiff about them. They drape nicely over your shoulder and are substantial enough to distribute the weight of an LP.

My most popular model is a very basic 'cut to size' design and the standard version has no metal.

file_zpsijjzn891.jpg

Is the above strap a set size or adjustable? It sure is a beauty. Looks like it could be punched a little smaller for the screw on holders for my Gretsch Duo-Jet.

What do you do for the end on the Electric/Acoustics that is the larger plug-strap pin?

Aster

Archived