Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Collectors-Non Players

Triad

Thank you all for contributing to this post. There are a lot of good ideas and statements made on this While in a local Barnes & Noble bookstore I bought a magazine called Vintage Guitar Magazine and noticed a lot of places buying vintage guitars like Chicago Music Exchange, Retro Fret, Guitar Broker. Since I played Bass for a while my 4001 Rickenbacker Bass in jetglo gets the least play time. While not a vintage at $1.700.00 it took me a while to save for it and with my luck I would drop it or scratch it. Lol.

I see that Chinery book on E Bay, always wondered what it was about.

I have that book which goes for high prices now. Not surprising - fantastic photography of a truly unbelievable guitar collection.

Scott Chinery (1960-2000) made a huge fortune selling steroids and assembled a fabulous and vast guitar collection including the Van Hoose collection of Gibson Super 400s, over a dozen stunning late D'Acquistos (some to order), and most notably the 'Blue Guitars' - 21 made-to-order acoustic f-hole archtop guitars hand-built by some of the world's best luthiers (Gibson included) and each one finished in blue.

He admits in the book that (not surprisingly) he barely ever touched his many vintage Fenders!!

He did play and invited various famous guitar players to play some of his Blue Guitar collection.

He also collected/bought other stuff but died suddenly in 2000.

I expect much of his collection will have been sold off by now; if there ever was a person who actually did have too many guitars it was Scott Chinery!

I guess you can put flowers into a beautiful vase (that's kinda like playing the guitar) or you can just have the vase sit on display somewhere to enjoy looking at it (like just collecting the guitars). Both are worth having the vase IMHO

I like to do both but will admit I have way too many gits to play all the time. Many have to sit & wait to come out for a tune or two.

Aster

I have that book which goes for high prices now. Not surprising - fantastic photography of a truly unbelievable guitar collection.

Scott Chinery (1960-2000) made a huge fortune selling steroids and assembled a fabulous and vast guitar collection including the Van Hoose collection of Gibson Super 400s, over a dozen stunning late D'Acquistos (some to order), and most notably the 'Blue Guitars' - 21 made-to-order acoustic f-hole archtop guitars hand-built by some of the world's best luthiers (Gibson included) and each one finished in blue.

He admits in the book that (not surprisingly) he barely ever touched his many vintage Fenders!!

He did play and invited various famous guitar players to play some of his Blue Guitar collection.

I expect much of his collection will have been sold off by now; if there ever was a person who actually did have too many guitars it was Scott Chinery!

Dangerous Curves had the Blue guitars. It was in Boston. Couple other guys here were lucky to see it too. It was a great show.

rct

Thanks for the info Jdgm. I always wondered what it was about. I saw one on UK E Bay asking £500. but it didn't sell.

i play all mine regularly. It's not like I have fifty of them, though...

I would buy more if I had the bucks, but I even if I was rich, I doubt I'd buy a "collection", if even a single one of them wouldn't get played on a regular basis. It kind of ties in with how I feel about "musicians" smashing guitars on stage - instruments, in my opinion, are supposed to be played and enjoyed - and hopefully used to make good music. Not be put away for ages, put up on a wall, smashed to bits on stage, set on fire etc.

Because for every guitar that has that done to it, there's a kid out there somewhere who couldn't afford (pergaps never will be able) to buy that very same guitar, be it a knock-off Strat copy or a 4k guitar.

To me, that's sacrilege on a grand level.

I usually have 10-12....not that they all get played all the time, but they are available and enjoyed when I am ready for them. I don,t think its a sin to 'collect' them. My money....my guitars....feck off!

There are plenty of them out there.....

Archived