Gibson Brands Forums

The oldies

E-minor7

Although we've been discussing this before, it could be time for a chat about the following :

When is an acoustic guitar qualified to be called, priced and treated as 'a vintage' ?

Some may argue we have to go even further back in time - let's hear what you think, , , also though you don't play oldies or have insight into the vintage world.

To my knowledge, there's no official rules on this topic and remember it's just a game. .

I think they are Vintage when the old ones are worth more than the new ones.

Ha Winner!

I voted 50 years old.... '65. That's as good a cutoff as any I suppose. I would pay a premium for an early 60s bird etc... Not for a 70s. But maybe that has more to do with Norlin.

I am in the same boat as duluthdan but for me that means you have to bump it up to pre-1951.

If you are talking Gibson I can see why pre-1955 would be a logical staring point to categorize guitars as "vintage." By the same token though pre-1944 or pre-CMI if you prefer, would be just as logical.

I am in the same boat as duluthdan but for me that means you have to bump it up to pre-1951.

If you are talking Gibson I can see why pre-1955 would be a logical staring point to categorize guitars as "vintage." By the same token though pre-1944 or pre-CMI if you prefer, would be just as logical.

That's the problem,; there's no real line of demarcation, so it is pretty arbitrary any way you look at it. Maybe you could think in terms of "modern", vs "old", vs "vintage". "Modern" might be less than 20 years old, "old" 20 to 50, and "vintage" older than 50. After that, you get into "ancient" at some point, which is where I probably fit.

For Martin, you might think of "vintage" as earlier than about 1968, when I believe they stopped using Brazilian for rosewood guitars. Not so simple to find a similar line in the sand for Gibson.

That's the problem,; there's no real line of demarcation, so it is pretty arbitrary any way you look at it. Maybe you could think in terms of "modern", vs "old", vs "vintage". "Modern" might be less than 20 years old, "old" 20 to 50, and "vintage" older than 50. After that, you get into "ancient" at some point, which is where I probably fit.

For Martin, you might think of "vintage" as earlier than about 1968, when I believe they stopped using Brazilian for rosewood guitars. Not so simple to find a similar line in the sand for Gibson.

There are lines in the sand with Gibson. As I said the CMI acqusition but also 1950, 1960 and 1965 stick like a sore thumb. In every one of those years major changes were made at Gibson which resulted in a new way of building and selling guitars. Some certainly not for the better.

There are lines in the sand with Gibson. As I said the CMI acqusition but also 1950, 1960 and 1965 stick like a sore thumb. In every one of those years major changes were made at Gibson which resulted in a new way of building and selling guitars. Some certainly not for the better.

Yep, but there are almost too many points of inflection for Gibson. And, of course, there are (thankfully) a lot of good Gibsons from periods that I would consider sub-optimal because of changes made. The adjustable saddle, the plastic bridge, and the super-narrow nut are obvious changes that I don't care for, but other less obvious things--such as the changes in top bracing from the mid-1950's onward--were not always changes for the better, either.

Like I said, "vintage" does not always mean "better". I'm not sure if Gibson had a pure golden age the way Martin seemed to in the late 1930's through the early war years, at least when it comes to dreadnoughts and OOO-sized guitars. Having said that, Gibson AJ's and Smecks weren't so bad in that period, either, and there are some real gems among their small-bodies in those years as well. Not to mention those funny slope-J's that took off in 1942 or so....

I voted 1975 because there are a lot of nice ones from the late 60s like Gretsch, Les Pauls, Guild and so on that are collectible vintage

Dan, 1956? I have underwear older than that! You're a kid.

Yep, but there are almost too many points of inflection for Gibson. And, of course, there are (thankfully) a lot of good Gibsons from periods that I would consider sub-optimal because of changes made. The adjustable saddle, the plastic bridge, and the super-narrow nut are obvious changes that I don't care for, but other less obvious things--such as the changes in top bracing from the mid-1950's onward--were not always changes for the better, either.

OK, I got a sure fire line in the sand. How about Vintage, in terms of Gibson, meaning pre-block letter logo guitars.

OK, I got a sure fire line in the sand. How about Vintage, in terms of Gibson, meaning pre-block letter logo guitars.

I could live with that one. Ironically, however, that would make my May, 1947 L-7 "vintage", while another one I looked at from July, 1947 would fail the test. But it would cover a lot of great guitars.

Ha Winner!

I voted 50 years old.... '65. That's as good a cutoff as any I suppose. I would pay a premium for an early 60s bird etc... Not for a 70s. But maybe that has more to do with Norlin.

I think if we are talking Gibson acoustic then pre 69 at least but with guitars generally there are instruments made twenty five years ago seriously in demand and appreciating in price. If we don't call them vintage then they are certainly investments.

I saw a mediocre Ibanez electric from 1983 listed as Vintage.

Then again in the late '60s, there were collections of Oldies But Goodies that featured music from the '50s. By that estimation, Britney Spears is 'oldies' and B.C. means 'Before Clapton.'

Archived