Gibson Brands Forums

Which songs you working on?

onewilyfool

I am working on,

"Postcards of Scarborough" by Michael Chapman.

It seems quite a simple song, but a little tricky getting the phrasing right with the single note runs.

There is just something about this song that I really like!

Steve.

Got a 12 string so what else:

"John Hardy" - Leadbelly

Also been goofing around with "Tricks Ain't Walking No More" - working out something that is a combination of versions by Curley Weaver, Lucille Bogan & Memphis Minnie.

Today, just learning "Grateful Dead" "Loser".

I've been playing the Alvarez too much, so I have my East Indian Advanced Jumbo ready to go this afternoon. It's going to feel great to play one of my "Real" guitars. It's going to be interesting to hear my AJ after two weeks with my Grateful Dead Alvarez.

I can sum the situation up in five words. My Advanced Jumbo Kicks Butt.

Neil Young's 'Birds', 'We Can Talk' by The Band, and my Mt Everest, my nemesis, my bucket list song....'Everything Put Together Falls Apart'. I have to slow all my songs down now to stylize so I'm happy with the end result. My woogie don't boogie anymore.

I just dropped $7 on Merle Haggard's Greatest Hits today. I'm going to have at least ten new songs from that disc. I've always loved Merle's voice, but I only knew the songs that I heard, like "Big City, Turn Me Loose" and a few others. Some of the hits that I missed in the old days, they didn't play on WLS. Youngsters may not remember, but up until the mid-seventies the monster AM stations used to play Top 40 instead of Rush Limbaugh.

The FM stations were often "Deep Cut" stations that would play an entire Rock album, or play cuts from the album that the DJ liked. Back then, the DJ picked the songs out while he was on the air. I remember WLS, AM 890 out of Chicago would play the entire song of "Inna Gada Da Vida" by Iron Butterfly, all 18 minutes of it. Now they need at least three minutes of commercials in 20 minutes.

Anyway, I always listened to Top 40 when the Cubs weren't playing. The only Merle Haggard songs that I knew croased over from the Country Charts into Top 40, so I'm hearing a lot of cool Merle songs that i've never heard. Merle "Did a little stretch in jail" as Pure Prairie League put it in their hit song "I'll Change Your Flat Tire Merle". Several of the songs a Jail Time songs. I can't wait to learn them, and my Dobro is going to come in handy.

I just dropped $7 on Merle Haggard's Greatest Hits today. I'm going to have at least ten new songs from that disc.

........., and my Dobro is going to come in handy.

He used James Burton on some of his early hits. Some of my favorites.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm working out a solo acoustic version of "Wait A Minute" by The Seldom Scene. If You want to hear an awesome song check out one of their videos of "Wait A Minute" on YouTube. It's the most beautiful acoustic song that I've heard in years. May be the best song that I've ever heard. It is a jaw dropper.

I'm working out a solo acoustic version of "Wait A Minute" by The Seldom Scene. If You want to hear an awesome song check out one of their videos of "Wait A Minute" on YouTube. It's the most beautiful acoustic song that I've heard in years. May be the best song that I've ever heard. It is a jaw dropper.

A very fine song and performance - glad to have heard it.

Jason Isbell "Relatively Easy" and "Cover Me Up" along with The Decemberists "June Hymn" and "Rise To Me". Trying to get those down cold and learn the intro to LZ Over the Hills...

I play the Jason Isbell one....here it is in my J 45std

Archived