Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LPguitarman

New Amp Day (almost)

Any thoughts on a Blackstar HT 60 2x12 60watt amp with Celestion speakers? My son is going to trade in his Peavey ValveKing 212 for one. Just curious.

I've messed around with a few of these Blackstar products, and I've always come away a bit impressed.

If I was in the market for a tube combo, I think that one with the 2x12 extension cab would get some serious attention.

there's nothing on their web site to define what that means.

you could always email them..

Does anybody know what the HT stands for in the model name? Just curious.

Hello!

It means "High Tension".

"The HT supply circuit most commonly provides a positive voltage of some hundreds of volts to the anode (or plate) and in later circuits also to the screen grid, with the cathode running at near ground or chassis potential."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HT_(vacuum_tube)

Also, from Blackstar:

"Operating on the same 300V DC anode supply voltage (H.T. voltage) typically used in a traditional valve amplifier design, these pedals have the compression and distortion characteristics associated with a true valve design."

Here: http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/ht-pedals/

Cheers... Bence

I've played Blackstar amps when trying guitars and they sounded pretty good and I own a Peavey VK112, which can sound pretty good too. I'd say the Blackstar is a step or two up from the Peavey, partly due to the Celestians. I always felt the VK speakers aren't the greatest, better after being broken in, but still not the greatest.