Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Strap Button

jbw59

I have a new Gibson Song Writer Deluxe and want to add a strap Button to the neck side at the base of the neck. I was told by the store to get Gibson's permission as that could void a warranty.... Anyone out there have some info or guidance on this to offer..?

I would avoid the heel button, as it throws off the balance for handling and fretting, not to mention warranty issues. There are several quick change on-off loop type neck/headstock strap attachments which relieve your fretting hand of the extra job of supporting. Most guitars are head heavy and if you have a neck heel button will drop at that end if you let go both hands. The better alternative is that it stays in place if you let it go so you can have max agility searching for chords and notes.

I would avoid the heel button, as it throws off the balance for handling and fretting, not to mention warranty issues. There are several quick change on-off loop type neck/headstock strap attachments which relieve your fretting hand of the extra job of supporting. Most guitars are head heavy and if you have a neck heel button will drop at that end if you let go both hands. The better alternative is that it stays in place if you let it go so you can have max agility searching for chords and notes.

Thanks for the feedback...

+1 on these....so clean, simple and an elegant solution. Along with being very inexpensive. I have these on all my guitars and much prefer the balance of the instrument with the strap going to the headstock, the guitar just hangs better.

Years ago, when I had decided I didn't like playing w/o a strap, I went over to my mom/pop music store, and walked up to the counter with my 13 dollar strap. The owner, an older lady, asked me 'acoustic or electric'. 'Acoustic'. She reached in her drawer and grabbed one of the pre-cut pieces of rawhide and tied a loop and a knot onto the strap without looking at it, like an old sailor. Old school. Well I got home, stared at that tassel, and realized what a pain it would be to thread that under the strings and tie the strap to a guitar every time I played a different one. Then I tried neck heel strap buttons, but I walk around when I play and drop my hands when they tire. The first time I did that the strap peeled off the heel button as the guitar head dipped and tipped forward. My catlike, yep, catlike reflexes took over and I snagged the sucker on the way down, but my nerves can't handle another one of those, especially with fragile 30's L00's. I had seen a friend playing with a 'banjo loop' strap connector, found the Neo-Tech online and bought one for each.

I returned to my shop and bought 3 more straps to leave attached to all my guitars all the time. Out came the rawhide. I thought it was a sweet touch so I let it happen, but all my straps are attached with these connector loops now. I find that I play a ton more with the guitars on the wall pre-strapped. 4,000 some hours to go.

I always think of that coolest of moments, when at the beginning of 'Further On Up The Road' when Clapton is joining The Band onstage for 'The Last Waltz' goodbye tour, EC's strap breaks in the first few notes of the intro. JRRobertson seamlessly jumps in until Clapton recovers. So impressive and understated.

Archived