Gibson Brands Forums

Need help finding nut for Riviera !

Hi guys,

I have an Epiphone Riviera Nick Valensi:

AN_Splash.jpg

But I would like to replace the cheap crappy plastic nut...

I know the width is 1.68 inches. But when I look online, I can't find the right one.

I've been looking here: http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_an...d_Bone_Nut.html

Can you guys help ?

Also, I play with .11 strings. Is this an issue for the slots ?

Thanks in advance!!

Yeah, that would be too low. That one is for a Fender.

You are probably not going to find one that fits perfectly. You will have to do some sanding/filing on the nut some to get it to fit right. Not much of a problem though.I've done it on many of my guitars. You may have to do little modifications in the nut slots for 11s also. But you may not. I use 10s and they work fine usually.

Try looking at this one. I believe it is the one I have gotten for most of my epiphones.

You can also go to Ebay and find the exact same product for a lot cheaper. That's what I do.

http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/tusq-xl/product-detail-tusq-xl/pql-6060-00-tusq-xl-epiphone-style-slotted-nut?id=279f1351-ea17-4bf6-935e-1a6e991ce5dc

I've just another question: the TUSQ XL nut is 1.73 inches long. And my Riviera is 1.68. If I sand it on the sides to fit, won't the E to E lenght be off ? The strings will be much closer to the edge! :(

No, you are not changing the spacing at all.You're just shaving a small amount off the sides of the nut. The E strings will be closer to the edge of the nut, but not to the edge of the fretboard.

We're talking only 5/100 of an inch here. And that would make it 2.5/100 on each side.

Just try to do it evenly on each side and you'll be fine. [biggrin]

If you're not filing the nut and saddles to remove burrs and fit the strings properly, no amount of new nut will help you. Plastic nuts are common even on Gibsons. My ES-125 has one. It stays in tune just fine.

If you're not filing the nut and saddles to remove burrs and fit the strings properly, no amount of new nut will help you. Plastic nuts are common even on Gibsons. My ES-125 has one. It stays in tune just fine.

I always put some graphite in there as I read it helps for the tuning performance.

Also, When I bought the guitar, it was made for .10 strings . But I quickly changed it for .11's (personal preference). When I looked around online I found that my tuning problem may come from the nut not being made for this string gauge. What do you think ?

I think the same as I said above... file the nut and saddles. If your nut and saddles are not filed properly, the strings will bind in them. Have you ever turned a tuning peg and heard a little 'clink?' That's the string binding in the nut. Break strings often? Saddles.

Stew Mac sells nut slotting files. I use a small set of round files made for cleaning welder tips. You can get them at any hardware store. They're cheap, but the job is not going to be nearly as easy as it would be with actual slotting files. It takes more time, and you have to be really careful because the files are very flexible. But if you're only doing the job once in a while... the file set is kind of expensive.

This clip gives you an idea of how to get the job done:

I think the same as I said above... file the nut and saddles. If your nut and saddles are not filed properly, the strings will bind in them. Have you ever turned a tuning peg and heard a little 'clink?' That's the string binding in the nut. Break strings often? Saddles.

Stew Mac sells nut slotting files. I use a small set of round files made for cleaning welder tips. You can get them at any hardware store. They're cheap, but the job is not going to be nearly as easy as it would be with actual slotting files. It takes more time, and you have to be really careful because the files are very flexible. But if you're only doing the job once in a while... the file set is kind of expensive.

This clip gives you an idea of how to get the job done:

my god, yes! I absolutely hear a "click" when I tune the strings (especially the G)! Can you explain a bit more what "binding" means ?

Also, I think I will take the guitar to a tech, I'm too afraid to mess up.

Archived