Gibson Brands Forums

angus doesnt even play his own signature guitar!!

rocknrule

Yep! It´s just that Angus loves 68 SGs. And in 68 they used to be like his signature guitar is. With maestro and so on. For the younger ones on this forum - he played a guitar like the A.Y. signature till 1980 in the Bon Scott years. And even his other SGs are told to be 68s but modified by gibson. And yes, HE doesn´t need the vibrola. But to every one who likes to have one, the A.Y. signature is a big deal. Because you get a one piece mahogany body! And if you add the pickups - one A.Y. signature and one 57 classic + the maestro to a standard, you´ll end up same price and less professional. And also the A.Y., at least in my opinion, has a better neck. And compared to other signatures and classics it´s CHEAP!

But the thread starter is right. You should check what you like and need and try both options. And if the standard suites you, you´ll end up a lot cheaper. In my opinion the standard doesn´t come even close to the A.Y.. But we´re all different and that´s the cool thing on sharing opinions here.

Greetings

Kurt

The man, the machine...

angus2hf4.jpg

The Gibson Angus Young Signature SG:

Mahogany body and neck

22-fret rosewood fingerboard

Pearl trapezoid inlay

24.75" scale

Single-bound neck

ABR bridge

Engraved Lyre Vibrola tremolo

Nickel hardware

'57 Classic humbucker (neck)

Angus Signature humbucker (bridge)

2 tone and 2 volume controls

3-way selector switch

SGAYACNH-e189a606ce7d1ae731fe22e3df.jpg

The price: $2,619.00 US

Now if ONLY it didn't have that silly devil decal on the headstock.

Yep! It´s just that Angus loves 68 SGs. And in 68 they used to be like his signature guitar is. With maestro and so on. For the younger ones on this forum - he played a guitar like the A.Y. signature till 1980 in the Bon Scott years. And even his other SGs are told to be 68s but modified by gibson. And yes' date=' HE doesn´t need the vibrola. But to every one who likes to have one, the A.Y. signature is a big deal. Because you get a one piece mahogany body! And if you add the pickups - one A.Y. signature and one 57 classic + the maestro to a standard, you´ll end up same price and less professional. And also the A.Y., at least in my opinion, has a better neck. And compared to other signatures and classics it´s CHEAP!

But the thread starter is right. You should check what you like and need and try both options. And if the standard suites you, you´ll end up a lot cheaper. In my opinion the standard doesn´t come even close to the A.Y.. But we´re all different and that´s the cool thing on sharing opinions here.

Greetings

Kurt[/quote']

Is there any difference in tone between a guitar with a one piece body or a guitar with 2?

One would think a one piece body would be better,but I've played both and couldn't notice a difference.In some cases,the bodies with multiple pices of wood sounded better

Is there any difference in tone between a guitar with a one piece body or a guitar with 2?

One would think a one piece body would be better' date='but I've played both and couldn't notice a difference.In some cases,the bodies with multiple pices of wood sounded better

[/quote']

The truth is I don´t know. In my opinion you´d have to hear the very same guitar in both versions to tell a difference. But there´ll still be no better or worse. Everybody likes different things. The theory is that glue is something that doesn´t vibrate as good as wood. If it´s true? I don´t know. But that is an opinion that I even heard from luthiers in other forums and at my favourite guitar shop. My A.Y. signature is my favourite SG. It plays and sounds better than the standard I used to have. On the other hand the body of my fender mexico strat is made of 5 or 7 pieces (can´t see it through the laquer) and it´s the best sounding strat I´ve ever heard.

But what I can tell you for sure is that I personally prefer a one piece body for the looks as far as it is a natural finish or clear coated guitar. And I also see it as a sign of quality. Because for the most models you´d have to pick the more expensive V.O.S. or custom shop model to get a one piece body. To me the A.Y. is a 68 V.O.S. in most parts but cheaper. Take away the devil and put another engraving on the maestro and it would be a V.O.S. and would cost 500 $ more.

That´s what I meant to say. If it´s better or worse, or if you like it better, is something that everybody has to decide for himself. But a one piece is almost always the more expensive choice. And even if a one piece was better, you may still prefer another one - because you like it better. The most important thing with making music is to play what you like - and if it was the ugliest guitar in the world. And I like my A.Y..

Plus the thread starter was writing about the price also. That´s why I mentioned the reasons why the A.Y. costs more than a standard.

Sorry that I couldn´t explain this any better.

Kurt

RE: the one piece body. My SG faded special (paid $650 new...) has a one piece body, my standard has a two piece. Unless it has dozens of pieces there should be no tone change between a multi piece and a single piece body. The glue is extremely thin, it basically just binds the wood together just as the fibers and resins would natualy only the glue will be stronger. If you attempted to break it, chances are it would break along a heavy grain before at the glues joint.

As I wrote. I couldn´t tell a difference in sound. It´s not necessary but it is a gimmick you´ll have to pay for. And all those expensive V.O.S.s and RIs for example are advertised as one piece body guitars in the Gibson catalogues. That´s what I meant to say.

I think it depends on the player whether they actually play their signature guitar. Most, like Angus prefer to play the original guitar that the signature model is based off of. Because no two guitars are alike and it becomes very evident to experienced players the sound difference. Realistically will the audience know? Hell no! But will the artist yes, and then they don't feel 100%. Guitar players are picky about tone, for instance Angus replaces his Celestion greenbacks in his marshall cabs once they ware in because he likes their initial harshness. Another example is Jeff Beck, one of his Marshall plexis has the original tubes in it because he likes the sound so much he has never changed them and they are corroded and bonded to the socket.

The man' date=' the machine...

[img']http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp53/neogeoriffic/angus2hf4.jpg[/img]

Note how this obviously doesn't have Angus sig pickups... rails style bridge p/u, with a zebra (could be Gibson, SD, DiMarzio ???) neck p/u.

I saw Angus and AC/DC a couple months ago live here in Detroit (@ the Palace) and he was playing a straight up SG Standard from the looks of it.

Not the greatest photo, taken with my phone, but shows Angus' SG on the big screen.... (not large pick guard)

3255237393_6f35e988db.jpg

peace

• 2 weeks later...

Archived