Gibson Brands Forums

I just tore 2 pounds of crap off my Hummingbird!

jchabalk

I've had this guitar for about 18 months. 6 of those months were spent contemplating getting a ton of work done and then once decided, getting the work done. I've been playing her for about a year now and am happy to say that I'm done changing things.

One of the tuners has been slipping for the last 6 months so i decided to swap them all out for a pair of ivroid Waverly's I'd been meaning to return to stewmac after nearly putting on my J45 a few months ago. Tonight the correct size bushings arrived and i set to work installing them. I did a little hole plugging with some whittled down match sticks and carpenter's glue, drilled them out clean and screwed them in. They're a perfect fit with the 3/8" bushings. A few rounds with the Virtuoso, a new set of Elixir's and she's like new!

The old 70's style Grovers seriously weighed well more than a pound. I couldn't believe it after putting them all in my hand after removing them. The Waverly's are nice and light! I can already tell the difference. The guitar sits in my lap better, and the headstock feels alive with vibration when i touch it. (my clip on tuner works on this guitar now too, never really worked well before!)

Anyway, here are some before and after pix as i know everyone loves pictures (myself included). I don't know that i've seen Waverlys on a Hummingbird before, always just the standard gibson/grover/gotoh. I was on the fence about doing it but i've got t say that i like the way it looks, and i definitely like the way it feels. They go great with my colosi bone bridge pins and end pin too. :)

The guitar is a 1976 Gibson Hummingbird with all the classic Norlin era appointments. :)

I picked it up in pretty bad shape (but with great sound) at a guitar shop in Austin and the guys at Gary Brawer Stringed Instrument Repair in San Francisco fixed it up real nice for me. It plays perfectly now and sounds fantastic. Hopefully she's got another 33 years left in her.

Before (front):

front-before.jpg

Before (back):

rear-before.jpg

After (front):

front-after.jpg

After (back):

rear-after.jpg

After (back):

rear-after2.jpg

Guitar Body: (it's bright (garish) red in real-life, not the garish pink it looks like here)

hummingbird-body.jpg

Nice job on the tuners. I love the open back look on a Gibson.... it just looks right. When my buddy (a Martin guy) saw my Gibson AJ for the first time, the first thing he said was... "Great looking tuners!". Then he played it and wouldn't put it down the rest of the night. Every time he comes over now, he just picks up the Gibson and stakes claim to playing that one for the evening. I think we may have a convert in the making if he get's to play it a few more times. =D>

Hey jchabalk -- your new tuners look great! I also recently replaced the stock tuners on my J-100 with Waverlys. Here are a few pix...

from the front:

c9b23dfb32.jpg

from the back:

39e217690f.jpg

and a CU of one of the tuners, showing the impression left by the original:

6ec9ae2c87.jpg

The Waverly's look right at home on the 'Bird. It's the OEM Norlin's that look out of place. So uh... whatta ya goin' to do with the cast-offs? Fishing weights?

Wonder if there's anything that could be done to hide/remove the hallo's left from the old, oversized washers? I suspect it's a bit deeper than built up grime. cracked finish? Maybe some similar sized washers painted gloss black to match the face of the headstock. Chrome washers look to Norliny.

Wonder if there's anything that could be done to hide/remove the hallo's left from the old' date=' oversized washers? I suspect it's a bit deeper than built up grime. cracked finish? Maybe some similar sized washers painted gloss black to match the face of the headstock. Chrome washers look to Norliny.[/quote']

I kept mine on...

hi there..

jayla - thanks for posting those pix, i remember seeing them a few months ago in that thread. i'm pretty sure your guitar is what planted the seed in my head! I put a set of chrome ones on my J45 several weeks ago and they look and feel great!

Those washer marks on the front are indeed unfortunate. I buffed it real good but they're definitely through the nitro and into the finish, i don't think they're going anywhere. I attempted to leave the washers on also but the waverly's require the press in bushing to mount and they're incompatible with the washers. waverly would have to make a bushing with a large flange on the front to mimic the washer.

I don't really mind the marks, but the harsh contrast of the circles is pretty noticeable eh? i'll ask the guys at the shop the next time i'm in and see if they can suggest something. The guitar's got numerous cracks and scratches on the front, back and sides so the extra marks are mostly at home :D/

I don't know what to do with the old ones, maybe i'll go crabbing with them this weekend ](*,)

Archived