Gibson Brands Forums

Happy New Old Amp Day!

dougg330

So, I have a beat up 1964 Discoverer GA-8T that I love - with a replacement speaker, stained grill cloth, some replaced caps, etc. I keep it at my buddy's recording studio, where it gets a lot of work tracking guitars and keys, and play it when we get our old guy band together.

But today... ah, today brought me a miracle. My wife asked me to go to the supermarket for her on my way home from work. Now, I had just sold a reissue Fender Deluxe Reverb and had some of the cash earmarked for a small tube amp. So I stopped by the local suburban Guitar Center to check some out. What did my wondering eyes spy but a MINT MINT MINT 1963 Discoverer GA-8T. Mine is black, with that faux scale pattern tolex of the day. This one is brown, without a stain or scratch on it. Original speaker, original foot switch, cover, even the two prong plug (which barely looked used). I played it for just a minute - same wonderful sound as mine. Slapped down my money without another thought. But I have to wait two weeks to take it home because our state has a police hold policy on used gear. Can't believe my luck. And still have some $ left for the bills and stuff.

front.jpg

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/dougg330/front.jpg

back.jpg

top.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived