Gibson Brands Forums

How many top wrappers do we have?

nick_s

I've tried it for the first time this evening. Wound the stop bar down to sit as close to the body as possible and strung away.

Stringing was a bit fiddly for the first time, but I have noticed that (acoustically at least, I've not yet plugged her in), the guitar is more resonant and responds differently aurally as well (not sure if it is more low end or just a general change across the spectrum).

It looks tidy as well!

WP_20150509_20_52_39_Pro%202.jpg

I generally do. Based on when we've had this topic before here, I think most here do not. The debate about string tension aside, I like the look of it and the feel of it under the heel of my hand.

is that the Melody Maker Ryan?

if so what bridge is that? - mine just has the old wraparound tailpiece with no saddles so that looks an interesting option

Yup, 1964 Melody Maker, 2 pickup doublecut model. The bridge is a Tonepros AVT-II (2) wraparound. Great sounding bridge, and intonates perfectly. Also locks to the posts so it won't fall off when you destring. As you can see, my extremely acidic sweat ate right through the chrome plating :P

-Ryan

Before I became a Bigsby/Jazzmaster tremolo guy I used to top wrap. Why? Because I make noise from time to time by picking between the bridge and tail piece or Bigsby.

Depends on the guitar, actually depends more on the bridge the guitar has installed… I like the stop bar to be as low as it can go, sitting on the body of the guitar, and if the bridge is wide the string will hit the edge of the bridge before the saddles. Top wrapping avoids this as the angle of the strings is much less severe and allows the strings to sit in the saddles without hitting anything else along the way. Is that better? No really sure, but the hard edge of the bridge and the tension on the strings at that point makes me worry about breakage… So I just avoid that scenario...

No, it wears marks into the stopbar. My Orville's previous owner was guilty of it, and six very faint indentations can be seen. Yeah, yeah, mojo, blah, blah, blah... I've got a story about 'vintage mojo': the first thing I did to my ES-125TDC when I got it was clean fifty years' worth of gunk off of it. I bet I lost a good ten or fifteen tone units ( :rolleyes: ), but it's cleaner now.

Being my Lester has the Black hardware I haven't but someone before me did at least one time in the last 21 years..

You can tell by the scratches on the top of the stop bar..

In the past on my other three Les Pauls I did top wrap on my Standard & Classic, It really matters the neck angle of each guitar & height of the Tune-O-Matic because of that.

Archived