Gibson Brands Forums

TonePros Locking Studs

A1Coyote

Has anybody tried the TonePros System II locking studs on their tail piece?

Haven't tried the studs, but I've got the locking bridge and locking tailpiece units and they're top quality. The locking studs are a good option if you wish to keep the current tailpiece unit, but want the added security of a locking mechanism (it's proven a lifesaver if you hate scratching your top finish when re-stringing!)

I bought a set of nickel plated metric threaded TonePros on ebay for $27, that arrived yesterday afternoon. My son & I installed them in around 15 mins, start to finish. The strings were loosened enough to allow the original studs to be backed out, doing this a bit at a time on each side so they would be level while backing out. Once off, my son laid the tailpiece / strings to one side and installed the new locking studs with the top screws off. Once tightened with the included wrench, we installed the tailpiece in the locking studs, installed the locking screws and commenced to re-tune the Special II. First thing noticed was that played unplugged the sound acoustically was louder and more pronounced. Once plugged in, sustain was better, the notes sounded fuller and clearer. My son is well pleased on the tone that he has on his Epiphone LP Special II now. So it is a decent improvement for under $30.00.

I bought a set of nickel plated metric threaded TonePros on ebay for $27, that arrived yesterday afternoon. My son & I installed them in around 15 mins, start to finish. The strings were loosened enough to allow the original studs to be backed out, doing this a bit at a time on each side so they would be level while backing out. Once off, my son laid the tailpiece / strings to one side and installed the new locking studs with the top screws off. Once tightened with the included wrench, we installed the tailpiece in the locking studs, installed the locking screws and commenced to re-tune the Special II. First thing noticed was that played unplugged the sound acoustically was louder and more pronounced. Once plugged in, sustain was better, the notes sounded fuller and clearer. My son is well pleased on the tone that he has on his Epiphone LP Special II now. So it is a decent improvement for under $30.00.

Always good to hear of a tangible improvement of an instrument without a huge outlay, AlCoyote. The better an instrument plays, the more likely the new player will stick to it. Good job, your son is fortunate that you care to take the time and effort, well done!

Always good to hear of a tangible improvement of an instrument without a huge outlay, AlCoyote. The better an instrument plays, the more likely the new player will stick to it. Good job, your son is fortunate that you care to take the time and effort, well done!

Thanks for the kinds words Steve112!

In case anybody else is interested in upgrading their Special II, the TonePros System II kit used was SNM1/NKL. As Pesh mentioned above, the locking studs are a good option if you wish to keep the current / original tailpiece, and that was my goal for this upgrade. They worked well enough that I am wondering if we shouldn't have included a new aluminum tailpiece also!

Thanks for the kinds words Steve112!

In case anybody else is interested in upgrading their Special II, the TonePros System II kit used was SNM1/NKL. As Pesh mentioned above, the locking studs are a good option if you wish to keep the current / original tailpiece, and that was my goal for this upgrade. They worked well enough that I am wondering is we shouldn't have included a new aluminum tailpiece also!

Glad it went well, dude! [thumbup]

Archived