Gibson Brands Forums

What's in the name?

DARRKNESS99

So, scrolling through guitarcenter.com's epiphone Les Paul's, I saw so many different names for similar looking guitars. So, what's the difference between:

-Les Paul Standard Plain Top

-Limited Edition Les Paul Custom PRO

-Limited Edition Les Paul Quilt Top PRO

-Limited Edition Les Paul PlusTop PRO

-Limited Edition Les Paul Traditional PRO

I'm assuming the difference is the hardware. If this is the case, could one of you explain them in layman's terms to the best of your ability?

Thanks guys!

-DARRKNESS99

So, scrolling through guitarcenter.com's epiphone Les Paul's, I saw so many different names for similar looking guitars. So, what's the difference between:

-Les Paul Standard Plain Top

-Limited Edition Les Paul Custom PRO

-Limited Edition Les Paul Quilt Top PRO

-Limited Edition Les Paul PlusTop PRO

-Limited Edition Les Paul Traditional PRO

I'm assuming the difference is the hardware. If this is the case, could one of you explain them in layman's terms to the best of your ability?

Thanks guys!

-DARRKNESS99

First of all, the main differance between the plain top and quilt top are the quality of wood used for the maple top. The quilt top looks better and is a better quailty wood. The differance between the tradition and custom pro is the weight relieve of the guitar. The traditional has no weight relieve ( holes cut into the mahogany back to make the guitar lighter). They're are 2 types of weight relive, the modern, trad, or none. for the most part the heaiver the guitar the better the tone and sustain. Then you will have differant pickups and hardware for each guitar. Some may have the same pickups or hardware as the other but it still may sound or play different because of the different wood grades, weight releive, neck size, or type of arch top. Most les pauls are made with mahogany bodiess with an arched maple top. If you have a les paul that has all the same woods,hardware, pickups but one has no weight releive and the other has moderen weight relieve they will sound,play and feel very differant. I prefer the sound and sustain of a heiver guitar. The les pauls with the modern weight relieve are lighter guitars than the traditional weight relive. Most les pauls are weight relived now but I have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic with the tradition weight relieve and it still weighs 10lbs 14oz. which is heavier than a couple of non weight relieved models (go figure). The modern weight relieve les paul models like the les paul standards only weigh around 8lbs. Hope some of my rambling helped.

First of all, the main differance between the plain top and quilt top are the quality of wood used for the maple top. The quilt top looks better and is a better quailty wood. The differance between the tradition and custom pro is the weight relieve of the guitar. The traditional has no weight relieve ( holes cut into the mahogany back to make the guitar lighter). They're are 2 types of weight relive, the modern, trad, or none. for the most part the heaiver the guitar the better the tone and sustain. Then you will have differant pickups and hardware for each guitar. Some may have the same pickups or hardware as the other but it still may sound or play different because of the different wood grades, weight releive, neck size, or type of arch top. Most les pauls are made with mahogany bodiess with an arched maple top. If you have a les paul that has all the same woods,hardware, pickups but one has no weight releive and the other has moderen weight relieve they will sound,play and feel very differant. I prefer the sound and sustain of a heiver guitar. The les pauls with the modern weight relieve are lighter guitars than the traditional weight relive. Most les pauls are weight relived now but I have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic with the tradition weight relieve and it still weighs 10lbs 14oz. which is heavier than a couple of non weight relieved models (go figure). The modern weight relieve les paul models like the les paul standards only weigh around 8lbs. Hope some of my rambling helped.

Thanks! That helped a lot!

Quick question, though. What about the plus top? What makes it "plus"?

Thanks! That helped a lot!

Quick question, though. What about the plus top? What makes it "plus"?

There are differant grades of maple tops ranging from B to AAAA+ the higer plus grades have better flame or quilt wood grains for transparent finishes. The lower grades are used with a solid finnish on lower end models. The first pic is an example of an AAA grade quilt top. The second pic is an example of B grade flame maple top.

LPP15O3CH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpgLPST15MMSN1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

There are differant grades of maple tops ranging from B to AAAA+ the higer plus grades have better flame or quilt wood grains for transparent finishes. The lower grades are used with a solid finnish on lower end models. The first pic is an example of an AAA grade quilt top. The second pic is an example of B grade flame maple top.

LPP15O3CH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpgLPST15MMSN1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

Ok, I see. Thanks!

Hate to say it but most of what's been written above might apply to Gibsons but NOT to Epiphones.

The Plain tops, Plus Tops and Quilt tops will have a different veneer but the underlying construction will be the same (other than the Ultras no Epiphone Les Pauls are weight relieved)

AFAIK the only real difference between the Pro series and the rest are the pickups.

Archived