Gibson Brands Forums

Oh! Silly Silly me!

I was idly twiddling with my Texan yesterday (it's not had a lot of attention since I got the Masterbilt AJ-45ME). For some reason - not sure why at all - I looked at the bridge saddle and thought "that's not right!" And indeed it was not right, not right at all! In fact it was left (handed). Them pesky Epiphone builders had put a left handed bridge saddle on my right handed Texan. I've had it for over a couple of months now and I had never noticed. The intonation seemed OK - I've tested it when I've tuned the guitar and it always seemed fine (for an acoustic). It just shows how some things go un-noticed even though they are (literally) just under your nose. I feel so silly that I never noticed it, but it was tested and passed in the USA according to the sticker that was on the headstock. So how silly does number ? (I can't remember) the sticker is in a case under a pile of cases and I can't be bothered to dig it out at the moment - but rest assured I will and I will name that inspector, well number him/her![cursing]

I was idly twiddling with my Texan yesterday (it's not had a lot of attention since I got the Masterbilt AJ-45ME). For some reason - not sure why at all - I looked at the bridge saddle and thought "that's not right!" And indeed it was not right, not right at all! In fact it was left (handed). Them pesky Epiphone builders had put a left handed bridge saddle on my right handed Texan. I've had it for over a couple of months now and I had never noticed. The intonation seemed OK - I've tested it when I've tuned the guitar and it always seemed fine (for an acoustic). It just shows how some things go un-noticed even though they are (literally) just under your nose. I feel so silly that I never noticed it, but it was tested and passed in the USA according to the sticker that was on the headstock. So how silly does number ? (I can't remember) the sticker is in a case under a pile of cases and I can't be bothered to dig it out at the moment - but rest assured I will and I will name that inspector, well number him/her![cursing]

lol if the intonation is fine no harm no foul right. Then again maybe you got a left handed guitar and was switched to right but they forgot the saddle? hmmm a mystery

That's crazy! It wasn't a compensated bridge...or was it? If it was how could intonation be right with a compensated A?

Ah and so the mystery grows, I love a good game of Acoustic Clue, LMAO

Sorry can't send photo -I changed the bridge saddle. Funny thing, I never noticed any intonation problems and I do play down/up the dusty end. I used to wonder how Paul Mcartney strung his Texan up-side-down. Intonation is a near impossibility anyway - Who amongst you has a low E and the G on that third fret both perfect pitch? Bach had to settle for the best he could get! Near enough is good enough for folk music, as they used to say in my younger days!

Intonation is a near impossibility anyway - Who amongst you has a low E and the G on that third fret both perfect pitch?

That bugs me! Apparently it's universal though, since when you press a string down, you raise the tension and the pitch a bit. This is most noticeable to me on that low E string since the pitch of lower frequencies is more sensitive to small changes in tension (as an amateur theoretical physicist, I ought to be able to prove that, but.... well, I've only had one cup of coffee so far... :rolleyes: ).

I guess the best you can do is have a good low setup, which minimizes the effect. I learned a lot from this lutherie.net site.

I just tested my Dr500mce just to repeat I had a full set up composited saddle new nut cut .

Now what I think is all this plus fret height comes into play this is one reason I'm not fan of jumbo frets .

Ok so we take care of the set up on mine I mention I had to have the bridge slot recut and a wider bone saddle installed then compensated .

Like mentioned above fret pressure . If you notice that in the one through fifth fret the space is right to get your finger fully to the fret board but as they get closer further up the neck not so . Finger size differs so ......

My test showed that on the low E frets 1-6 spot on fret 7 up it falls just a tad flat as I was thinking about the fret pressure I noticed I'm not on the fret board so I had to increased the pressure to make contact and bam spot on .

But what bites is , it's not comfortable to press that dang hard up fret board to get spot on .

So the first thing l obviously is a dang good set up . If you have a narrow saddle I would feel that it should be widened depending how anal you are .

We're not going to get away from fret size after the buying factor unless you have fun money .

Lastly string gauge right ? If it's a heavier gauge string say 13-56 1-5 should be good but now even harder to get the higher frets pitch on it would be like bending a piece of rebar between half inch wide fret lol

Ok so not sure if I made sense but I'm sure there a few More factors like body movement be it the top or neck .

😊

Lol first time I seen the saddle looking like that on this type of fret set though I seen it many times and forget it's name . You'll find Andy McKee using them in few older vids .

From what they say it's a lot more natural or ergonomical to play note the "they"word I would be very happy to get my hands on one but I don't have enough callateral to cover any damage lol

High dollar wood . Not saddle is the same but bridge design

Archived