Gibson Brands Forums

ES 339

Izzy

Having owned an Epi 339 and an Ibanez Artcore, I would go the Ibanez route.

There are so many quality options out there these days ... take your time and play every make/model semi you can get your hands on. You might be surprised which you prefer if you totally ignore the headstock

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My last purchase was an ES 339 in black satin. I was an LP and Strat guy for years. My main is the 339 now. I feel I get the best of both worlds, clean and bluesy and when I want to go heavy, I get that too. We'll worth the extra cash IMHO

Life's too short to drive yourself crazy by buying the "almost as good as what I really wanted" and then kicking yourself for being an idiot.

(I just went through this buying walking and motorcycle boots and wasted a ton of money by being an idiot).

I don't know too much about the 339 line up but if they made anything with an ebony fret board and the split diamond inlay, that's what I'd be shooting for. Might as well go First Class even if it takes some doing to get there because then there's no regrets.

Fender has the Thinline Telecaster which is a very light semi. I have the Chinese made Modern Player version which is quite good and at under $500.00, a very good deal.

I also have a Midtown Standard, and I only just took delivery of a new 2014 ES 339 Satin last week. The 339 stomps the tar out of the Midtown.

The Midtown as I recall is not a true semi, but a heavily chambered solid body with F-holes carved into it. The 339 IS a true semi And just rings and sings circles around the Midtown.

The Midtown only has one volume and treble control which greatly limits the number of tonal possibilities available. The 339 has individual volume and tone controls for each pickup which allows for a near limitless number of tones.

The Midtown is a very nice guitar, the 339 is an amazing guitar.

Need to correct you here.

You have a Midtown Standard, not a Midtown Custom. The custom has Burstbucker 2 and 3 Pickups with individual controls for each. Your Standard doesn't.

Both the Midtown Custom and ES-339 are really fine guitars. I would have a hard time making a choice between the two of them. Both do the job equally well.

Need to correct you here.

You have a Midtown Standard, not a Midtown Custom. The custom has Burstbucker 2 and 3 Pickups with individual controls for each. Your Standard doesn't.

Both the Midtown Custom and ES-339 are really fine guitars. I would have a hard time making a choice between the two of them. Both do the job equally well.

Gotcha, thanks for the correction.

I have a Midtown which I'm told is a scaled down Birdland. The only thing I don't like about it is that is basically a breadboard. Not an arch top, which I would rather have. I should have held out for a 339 or a 335. Epiphones are also a mighty fine instrument for the money. I have a couple, and really like them.

IMG_0827_zpsirskuvzc.jpg

The main difference between the 339 and the Midtown is that the 339 is a plywood guitar and the Midtown is a mahogany bodied guitar. So the sound is different. The 339 is more a like a 335, just smaller, and the Midtown is more akin to a Les Paul or a 336.

If you really like an LP feel but want a semi sound, I ended up with a PRS SE ZM. The honeymoon never ended with this one. I like it much better than the Epi 339 and Artcore I had previously. I had no idea what a ZM was when I stumbled across it. I was actually in the shop to check out some S2 models. I didn't care for the S2s. I happened to see this on the way out.

One technical point is that unlike other PRS SE models, it DOES have adjustable saddles for intonation.

The only potential down side is that the fretboard is wide. I happen to like that about it, but wide fretboards aren't for everybody.

http://www.prsguitars.com/sezachmyers/

prs-se-zach-myers-630-80.jpg

The main difference between the 339 and the Midtown is that the 339 is a plywood guitar and the Midtown is a mahogany bodied guitar. So the sound is different. The 339 is more a like a 335, just smaller, and the Midtown is more akin to a Les Paul or a 336.

Lets see a plywood guitar verse a mahogany guitar hmmmm , I own a Midtown and unless you want to spend the $$$$ for a ES 335 a midtown is the best choice in my option.

This what mine looks like :

DSDCPH2CH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&

I agree with Rocketman and StRanger.

Save up and get one. I swear my 2007 first edition was $1799 new. What are they now?

When Wall Street crashes (again) and the dollar crumbles your ES339 will only go up in value. If it doesn't, the Gibson will STILL go up in value.

Oh yea, mine's a "Custom Shop"......

Says so right on the neck.

Just sayin'....................

He IS around! Listen to this man. He is wise beyond words.

I was a solid body player for almost 20 years... finally got my hands on a some 335s! WOW. if a 339 is what you want, get it as others have said.

I have played the Midtown Custom and they are pretty sweet. You can get them new here... or on dent & scratch. My experience with D&S is that its usually customer return (especially on the vintage sunburst and the customer being unsatisfied with the grain)...

MIDTOWN AT AMS

The D&S ones are usually between 949-1049; almost beats the used price...

Plywood? The heck do you mean plywood? like, cheap particleboard? O.o

I mean, if it sounds awesome I don't know if I mind but seriously...maple plywood?

<.< If 339 is lighter due to the plywoodness...I'm leaning plywood!

I am going to trade in my LP for whichever makes me swoon...

PRS is just...I just.......can't! They look so pretty and ugh! I don't wanna regret a scratch or be outprettied by my guitar [flapper]

I mean, if it sounds awesome I don't know if I mind but seriously...maple plywood?

PRS is just...I just.......can't! They look so pretty and ugh! I don't wanna regret a scratch or be outprettied by my guitar [flapper]

Yup a lot of the semi hollows are made from laminates (or veneers)... 3 thin bits of wood stuck together... maple, poplar and maple sandwich.

check at about 4:23

:) I hear ya'. Before I played this one I swore I would never own a PRS or a green guitar.

grabbed_1410966353.png

Yea, plywood sounds cheap because it makes you think construction plywood but this thin plywood guitar tops and back are made of is instrument grade stuff press-molded to shape.

About Epiphone semi hollows, the can be heavy. I have a 335 Pro that is a beauty but it is heavy, it also needed some fret work that I got done under warranty because it was really bad, I also had to replace the nut, did that myself.

I am only 5'7" and that 335 looks like I am holding a satellite dish.

Not sure if you looked into the "Ultra" 339 I mentioned previously but those guitars have an extra pickup and output for acoustic sounds.

I am only 5'7" and that 335 looks like I am holding a satellite dish.

I'm a couple inches taller but I've always looked like I'm playing the old galvanized trash can lid when I use a 335, which is why I don't own one.

rct

Archived