Gibson Brands Forums

ES 339

Izzy

All things considered, with all the guitars that have passed through my hands over time, if I had to get rid of all my guitars and could only have one, that one would be an ES339. It rocks as well as a Les Paul and does most everything it's big brother the ES335 does.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, I think Izzy is a good example of how most of us are looking for that guitar that becomes one with us.

Second, "plywood" also is used on the 175 and other quite high-end Gibson archtops. It is somewhat different from a solid carved arched top, but one might note that it's far from particleboard or plywood siding.

Third, while I'd be the last to "dis" a Gibson, or saving for one you really want, I also think it an error to "dis" the Epiphone line.

Frankly I think the examples I own and have played are better instruments than similar priced/styled Ibanez of current manufacture. In short, rather than seeing them as somehow cheapened Gibsons if one lacks Gibson cash, the brand should be judged by the individual guitar for the individual player. Frankly I think they compare quite well against Gretsch/Ibanez, etc., in terms of quality overall, and in playability.

I'd also agree to an extent about the 335/Dot size - but one might take a close look at how BB - not a small man at all - holds the instrument more at his side and with a greater upward angle of the fingerboard. Oddly ditto Joe Pass with the 175 and <grin> Segovia.

Izzy, I'd say that if you'd only be happy with a Gibson, wait and save. But if playing geometry, your playing style and matching with amp are the priorities, look seriously at an Epi. I've had a few high-end Martin and Gibson players look down their nose at some of mine, but oddly none have suggested it neither played well for me nor that it sounded less than professional quality.

m

Thanks for your reply, Milod.

I looked at the Epi 339 and one of the things I look at first when researching a guitar (after having discovered that my love of the sound is not enought to make me want to play the LP I so adore) is to check for weight. The Epi 339 ranges from 7.2lbs to 8.5lbs as per my research. Someone here commented on the fact that the Epi is a bit heavier than the Giibbie...which I found in research to weigh under 5lbs...no joke, that is very light.

I could go for an Epi, but I am looking to trade my LP and will get a discount of 15% even on a used Gib because GC has some promotional thing as per one of the guys at the store with Gibson.

I will pay the extra $500 to cut the weight of a guitar in half...seriously!

Do you find that you have to do upgrades on Epis vs Gibsons or do both need upgrades or does it depend on the guitar?

Epis are inconsistent in quality, having said that the current pickups they put in these are Alnico Classics which sound excellent.

The pots they put on Epis now are full size with good taper and good tolerances. The only weakness are the tuners, they are ok but do feel cheap.

If you buy an Epi play before you buy or buy from a place with a good return policy.

I really like my 335 Pro, I have the money for the Gibson version but this guitar is fine as it is by my main player.

Again, look up the ES339 ultra, the specs are cool.

All things considered, with all the guitars that have passed through my hands over time, if I had to get rid of all my guitars and could only have one, that one would be an ES339. It rocks as well as a Les Paul and does most everything it's big brother the ES335 does.

Me too! I was just thinking the same thing recently and came to the same conclusion. Such an impressive guitar in every way!

Epis are inconsistent in quality, having said that the current pickups they put in these are Alnico Classics which sound excellent.

The pots they put on Epis now are full size with good taper and good tolerances. The only weakness are the tuners, they are ok but do feel cheap.

If you buy an Epi play before you buy or buy from a place with a good return policy.

I really like my 335 Pro, I have the money for the Gibson version but this guitar is fine as it is by my main player.

Again, look up the ES339 ultra, the specs are cool.

I had an Epi Ultra339 for a while. Once the newness wore off of the shadow pup I ended having paid a lot more for a pup ring mounted tuner - which was very cool. I never did use the USB connection.

Pay the extra to buy a Korean made Epi. Don't worry about the " plywood" aspect, some of the most desirable Gibson's are built with laminated woods. In many cases laminated woods have better characteristics in an electric hollow body guitar, it helps control feedback.Also keep in mind the LP you love has a laminated top, a maple cap glued on top of a mahogany body.You may like this Epi.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Ltd-Ed-Les-Paul-Standard-Florentine-PRO.aspx

I had a '07 339 and it was bad-axxed. It has the low end big booty sound like the 335 - maybe not quite as low-ended. And it has that soft almost dull sound like a 175 when you play it at low volume. When it gets cranking at volume, the body starts vibrating and you get that bad-axxed plywood tone. When it distorts, there's nothing like it!

And the 339 is spanky too when you want it to be. Maybe the spankiest Gibson I've played.

I sold mine to buy a 335.

I'm a couple inches taller but I've always looked like I'm playing the old galvanized trash can lid when I use a 335, which is why I don't own one.

rct

Yea can you imagine a 335 on that Governmentseries filing cabinet color? Then the look would be complete.

Yea can you imagine a 335 on that Governmentseries filing cabinet color? Then the look would be complete.

Awesome! I'm sitting right in front of my filing cabinet in Gibson Government Series Putty. It's gotta buncha stickers on it and they'll probably hold up my retirement papers until I get it cleaned up.

rct

For what it's worth, I've found no need to do anything to any of my Epis except to add a strap and new strings.

I think personally that once a guitar of decent overall quality is set up for the strings and style, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. That includes, however, ensuring the pup and pole height is included in that proper setup.

But that's as true of a Gibson as an Epi - or a $15,000 handmade custom archtop.

With electric or AE the amp settings and pot settings are more than enough.

We tend also to forget the importance of matching it all together so the instrument sings as we wish and feel, whether strumming a flattop, playing Bach or wailing a rock or blues lead. I'll add that IMHO that even includes how we hold the instrument and that elusive playing geometry...

m

Awesome! I'm sitting right in front of my filing cabinet in Gibson Government Series Putty. It's gotta buncha stickers on it and they'll probably hold up my retirement papers until I get it cleaned up.

rct

You sure those are retirement papers? They're not pink, are they?

I totally missed the boat that the Gov't Series color is supposed to be like a filing cabinet. That's pretty funny, for an outfit where the street smarts run a little thin. [thumbup] [thumbup]

You sure those are retirement papers? They're not pink, are they?

Three years and 2 weeks. I don't know how I'm going to live through the boredom!

rct

The Ibanez artcore line is awesome. The ceramic pickups are voiced for jazz style clean playing. I'm not sure how they would sound with high gain, but you have your Les Paul for that. You could find a AS75 for under $300 (335 clone).

Do not discount these extremely inexpensive instruments.

• 4 months later...

I was very fortunate to have purchased my red ES-339 new & at a discount in 2009, just before the first price hike. They were still $1799, and with 15% off, it came to $1529.

A sweet little beauty with CS serial number & logo.

Those were the days - a mere six years ago!

Lol, that Midtown sure looks gorgeous! I so do not need split coiling, though...so the Epi 339 Pro would be a waste. Complex electronics is what made me give up my Parker Nightfly.

I would love to get me paws on a Midtown to check the sound...but there were 4 on GC's site which tells me they are not common. Heck, on CL for my city there were no 339s or anything like it aside from cheapies and a Fender Coronado which looks big.

Fender doesn't have a small hollow body like the 339, huh? Weird.

Actually Fender does have a humbucker hollowbody, the Fender Mod Player Starcaster Here check the pics

mods_zpsp6clvctt.jpg

mods3_zps2fsui6u4.jpg

mods4_zpslmcjylwe.jpg

Lol, that Midtown sure looks gorgeous! I so do not need split coiling, though...so the Epi 339 Pro would be a waste. Complex electronics is what made me give up my Parker Nightfly.

I would love to get me paws on a Midtown to check the sound...but there were 4 on GC's site which tells me they are not common. Heck, on CL for my city there were no 339s or anything like it aside from cheapies and a Fender Coronado which looks big.

Fender doesn't have a small hollow body like the 339, huh? Weird.

Archived