Gibson Brands Forums

How'd you start your Rock and Roll Band?

Wannabe Guitar Hero

The last regular gig I had came looking for me, for a change. The organ player contacted me at my job and said they needed someone. I said I wasn't interested, didn't want the hassle of regular gigging. I kept turning 'em down 'till I went to the first practice. I stayed with them for about 3 years. Funny thing was they'd been together for about 13 years when they took me on. When I left, they quit.

When I was a kid and first started playing out I met other musicians at garage jams and band battles. People were always hooking up with each other starting or changing groups. We never had anyone like Miley...I'm sure she must inspire dozens of young musicians. Good luck, mon! eusa_clap.gif

I started playing regular gigs when I turned 21. I got lucky because the college i went to has a great music scene. I played by myself for about a year or so. I then met the guy who sings in the band and we started playing accoustic gigs together. That gave me more of an oppurtunity to improve my guitar playing skills and not have to worry about singing as much. I got lucky because I personally am not a very strong lyricist, but my partner is. We eventually met up with the rythym section from another band. They quit that band and jumped in with us. Now we play every weekend and are starting to have a strong following across the state.

depends where you live, some cities only offer certin types of sences of that support the type of music you want to play, others may not have a lot of musicans.

My town:

Emo/Hard core/Punk/indie/Rap

nothing wrong with that just not my cup of tea

i just got into a band with a couple of my friends. they play bass and guitar, but only had one guitarist at that point, and she hates playing lead. i love playing lead, and they were looking for some one to do vocals. worked out perfect, and we're all good friends (they're actually dating =D> ). right now until we can find our own drummer their guitar teacher plays drums with us.

we will hopefully be playing our first gig next month, the local battle of the bands. but it's supposed to be 18 and younger. our teacher is not in that age range. but he also knows the people who put it on and they're supposed to be pretty cool. i think we'll be fine.

Last band I was in I got from 3x5 index cards in every freaking music store in Nashville. Lasted 2 years or so in one form or another... could never get them out of the practice room, except to cut a demo. (A demo for what, I'll never know.) I gave up after that and went into IT.

Well... there was AXE®'s band, but he wouldn't even audition me.... /chuckle

oh there's just one problem though...

they named the band already and the name is so lame! lazr samwich Dx<

any one got good tips for suggesting we should change the name without totally dissing them and the name they already chose?

i know it's important to get along and all and we do. but i want to change the name. not because i'm all selfish or something and want to name the band myself but because i think that it will be really hard for us to be taken seriusly when we are named lazr samich (no spelling mistakes, thats how they spell it). we are playing some harder stuff, origionals and covers of bands like sabbath alice n chains, nirvana (uhhh), and more. lazr samich just isn't a very good name for it our kind of band. maybe a techno band or something but a leather wearing long haired rebelius hard rock band??? not the best name ever.

i had a few names in mind.

this first ones a sounds a bit more like a name of a metal band but i have always liked thunderhead. it just sounds cool.

also buzz saw.

blue wild angel or just the blue angels (like the fighter jets)

something involving thunder (i have always liked thunder, even before joining the gibson forum)

those are some ideas i have had.

Hmmm....I've been in about 8 serious bands and a bunch of cover bands, so let's see....The first one was with a few guys I went to middle school with...The next 3 I met through ads I found at a music store...The next 2 I put ads up online and those were the responses I got....The last 2 I was in the bands had known me through my previous bands and contacted me....One of which was a band with another guy on this forum Matt (solacematt)....Right now I'm workin' on my own music in doing the audition thing out here in L.A.

Archived