Gibson Brands Forums

My LP case broke...

rustyfretboard

Hi, I'm new here. I've got a few questions. So the handle on the case of my '03 LP standard broke. Basically what happened was that one of the leather straps that goes through the metal loops to the grip popped out and I was wondering if anybody could tell me if there's a way to fix it. I was thinking of maybe getting some gorilla glue and re-attaching it, but if anybody has a better method... hook me up. It would really suck to have to buy a new case, but if need be, any recommendations for a new one? I fly back and forth to school, so something that can fit in an overhead bin (because I never check my guitar). I was kinda shocked when the handle broke, I'm more of a student than gigging musician so it's not like it gets beat up that much. it's not even that old.

Oh yeah, I'm also thinking of replacing the stock tuners for some new grovers, if anybody has any opinions please share. would anybody go for locking tuners over grovers? From what I've heard the grovers are awsome, but if anybody has any horror stories or something, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks for all the help.

Rusty

'03 LP STD, heritage cherry burst

Hi' date=' I'm new here. I've got a few questions. So the handle on the case of my '03 LP standard broke. [/quote']

Welcome to the world of Gibson. I have a 1950 ES-175 in the original brown case. The handle is gone, replaced by wire. I have a 1976 L5-S (solid body). The case is in perfect condition...except that the handle is gone. I have a 1967 ES-335 twelve string. You guessed it, the handle. There are more. On every single Gibson case that I own, the handle is broken. My girlfriend rolls on her back on the floor cackling when I mention that I'm having a problem with a handle -- it's always a Gibson case. Dunno what it is.

Oh yeah' date=' I'm also thinking of replacing the stock tuners for some new grovers, if anybody has any opinions please share. would anybody go for locking tuners over grovers? From what I've heard the grovers are awsome, but if anybody has any horror stories or something, that's why I'm asking.[/quote']

If your tuners are in good shape there's absolutely no reason to replace them, with Grovers or anything else. Locking tuners do nothing more than reduce the number of turns you take around the tuner. The people that *make* locking tuners will tell you that this allows your guitar to stay in better tune because you don't have to worry about the string length represented by the several turns you ordinarily leave on a stock type tuner stretching and throwing your guitar out of tune. In practice, that string length doesn't stretch. But the locking tuners *are* easier for the newbs to work with, hence their popularity.

Welcome to the LP Forum rusty! Are you having issues with tuning, or staying in tune? It's not always caused by the tuner. You can use the search function on tuning, tuners and nut. You'll find that a problem with staying in tune is often caused by a nut issue. I agree with KSG_Standard that the Grovers look better, but probably won't work any better than the vintage green tuners.

SilverLesterStd

The same thing happened with my case, but it was only obout 3 months after buying the guitar. Gibson did replace mine although I had to pay to ship the broken one back. I doubt they'll do that in your case (pun intended) since it's an 03. Some people tie a bandana in place of the leather handle.

IT happens since thats the wear point and all the stress is loaded at those two points of attachment. There are all kinds of replacements on the web I have several that are leather and buckle on to the remaing attachment points if those are still good. If not they even make replacements to bolt onto the case easy fix and look as good as new or better when your done.

Archived