Gibson Brands Forums

Murph On A Mandolin....

Murph

I wrote this song back in the early 80's as a wedding present to a best friend/drummer. I put his name on the copyright as "owner" and gave it to him and played it with an acoustic at the reception.

30 plus years later I am digging messing with this old 1933 mandolin.

Don't beat me up too bad, I just mess with it and it tunes upside down......

Murph - I love it! [thumbup] First & foremost you play mandolin much better than I ever will. My hands are huge slabs of meat & playing those little necks is at best difficult for me. I do own & play a mandolin for little bits in songs, but I cannot perform on them at your level. A tip of the hat to you my friend. I also love the song & your friend had to feel honored. Great lyrics & a voice that made me wanna get up & dance. Win win all the way around. Made my Sunday morning! [thumbup]

Wow, thanks for the kind words all.

I've become obsessed with acoustic stuff in the last few years, Punch Bros, Sean / Sara Watkins, even old Jerry Garcia / Dawg Grisman stuff and that mandolin has a history with Scotty Stoneman and is pretty special.

That's really good Murph. Not your typical approach to playing the mandolin, but very unique and interesting.

But, since you gave your buddy the copyright, you have to pay him royalties when you perform the song. [flapper]

That was great Murph! Really nice playing and really smooth. I wish I had your talent.

I surprised my wife for our first dance at our wedding. She wanted to have us dance to an Elvis tune. I wrote a ballad on the piano, got the band together and recorded it in a few hours. It made her day. She still is and will always be the love of my life.

Archived