Gibson Brands Forums

Prayers For Milod....

Murph

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi folks...

I really want to thank all for prayers and "good vibes" from around the world.

At times the Gibson and Epi forums have been a bit contentious, but my own situation, and that of many other "forum regulars," should be taken as an example that there are many good and caring people in this world. And many of those are those here, setting an example they probably don't even realize is that example.

I've been very, very lucky; Yes, I think that the prayers, both overt and those somehow implied in thought, are a valuable function of that care for others and for their wellbeing.

Also I think my main, and ongoing lesson for myself is that each day is something to treasure, and how we interact with others is more important than we tend to think.

I'm still concerned about one of my two carotid arteries being closed and some ill potential, but I've known so many others, including teenage athletes, whose bodies simply decided not to function; and so many victims of accident who died in an instant or, perhaps worse, lived through hellish injuries with little hope for more than a fraction of normalcy. One never knows what the future might hold for any of us, and it's ego and vanity to believe we are immune to an untoward incident or outcome. The question is whether we can live daily without regret of actions either of commission or omission toward others.

In fact, the experience of others added to this and several other "How/where is milod?" threads illustrates that it's not just me; others have undergone, and still undergo far more, far more frustrating, far more physically painful.

This pinned thread is an example of the best within us; those who, as with me, receive those prayers and good wishes - and long term perhaps far more important, for those who care for others and express that caring if only within their own hearts.

Again, thanks so much to all.

m

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been around in a while but wanted to say that I'm glad to see milod posting!!!

Also, what's up guys?!

Heyy! I was thinking about you the other day (along with Axe and others we don't hear from so much now). I hope you are well and will post a few in the lounge.

Yes it is good to see Milod back although I expect he won't be as active on the forum now as he has been in the past - in fact he hasn't posted for about a week so I hope he is still continuing to do well.

Best wishes to all!

hello, Fellow Babies, and especially milod,

Been awhile, but I have been checking in and reading.

I am so sorry to hear that you are apparently suffering the effects of a stroke. You are so right that it is important to live in the knowledge that you have provoked no incidents or made remarks that leave a trail of anger and unhappiness in your wake. Patience and humor will be among your best friends - and you'll need 'em.

It can surprise you how people can rise to level necessary to help you. I am singularly lucky that my little brother has forgotten what a mean, selfish older brother I was, and now for years he has helped me in many ways.

I cannot really provide a blueprint for recovery. But I do have a few suggestions that have helped me since my stroke:

* a challenge can your friend, explore new interests; it'll keep your mind active. I didn't get a personal computer and begin to explore the internet until afterward. I had used computers professionally for years, but for accounting, so typing was not part of my skill set. And I had never done my own trouble shooting - holy cow, there just aren't words for my exasperation !!

* you may have to explore methods of your own devising for continued recuperation. I have had trouble building the strength of the fingers of my left hand, and doctors and therapists have surprisingly little to offer.

I have explored the standard hand springs, rubber balls, etc., but I have had the best results from my own exploration. I began using an old time, weight lifters exorcise -- without hooking your fingers under lip at the edge of a weight plate, grip the plate right on the edge so your fingers appose your thumb while squeezing the flat surface between. Then lift the plate, count the seconds. And over a period, increase the time you can lift and hold the plate. This has started to strengthen the knuckles right at the base of my fingers - these are knuckles that were completely unaffected by all the other exorcises; but they are the joints that provide the main strength to squeeze a bar chord. It's even helping my little finger. And no doctor or therapist suggested this.

* If you haven't noticed, bed rest is not your friend. If you don't walk, the muscles of your legs will atrophy with an unbelievable rapidity. Practically speaking, you can lose your ability to walk any significant distance within a few weeks.

I wish you the best, and it sounds from your note that your personality, attitude, and personal philosophy will serve you very well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing pretty well.

Just sprang my wife from the hospital late yesterday and we make the 400 mile trip home tomorrow. She still has a tube poking out of her tummy and I'm not "right" yet on my left hand, but driving is OK.

Since we're in the biggest city in the state, before I sprang my wife, I found a nice little Yamaha 3/4 size flattop that seems to work very well for the recommend therapy. When I'm back to the 24 3/4 scale, I know a 12-year-old who could use it.

m

Great to hear from you Milo! I'm glad you're up and about. I've been extremely busy lately, so I haven't had much time to come here. Having you back makes me think about what is truly important in life though. Stay well my friend.

A check on the clogged artery tomorrow... then we see what's next.

Yeah, this stuff does make one take a look at where one might be in life - not just me, but some others on here who have some major medical/health issues.

It's kinda funny in that even with guns pointed at me at short range and a bullet or two hitting in my vicinity, other dangerous situations of various sorts, work around all sorts of death and destruction and others' health issues, didn't bring home those lessons like that flop to the floor and then having some medical friends refer to my particular situation as a "widow maker."

But... what happens, happens... and in the meantime on medical leave from work, I'm lucky that the therapist's "prescription" is to use the guitar as my work to get my left hand back under control.

For what it's worth, too, the Gibson and Epiphone forum folks have convinced me that there's something else about guitar playing/players that can create an interesting foundation for a "community" of caring folks, a fraternity that may be hard for others to understand - but also one I'm proud and honored to be a part of.

m

A check on the clogged artery tomorrow... then we see what's next.

Yeah, this stuff does make one take a look at where one might be in life - not just me, but some others on here who have some major medical/health issues.

It's kinda funny in that even with guns pointed at me at short range and a bullet or two hitting in my vicinity, other dangerous situations of various sorts, work around all sorts of death and destruction and others' health issues, didn't bring home those lessons like that flop to the floor and then having some medical friends refer to my particular situation as a "widow maker."

But... what happens, happens... and in the meantime on medical leave from work, I'm lucky that the therapist's "prescription" is to use the guitar as my work to get my left hand back under control.

For what it's worth, too, the Gibson and Epiphone forum folks have convinced me that there's something else about guitar playing/players that can create an interesting foundation for a "community" of caring folks, a fraternity that may be hard for others to understand - but also one I'm proud and honored to be a part of.

m

Milo,

I hope your wife and you are both on the mend. A comment about your last paragraph. I actually look forward to the posts that all you good people put out on all forums. Isn't it amazing the comaraderie that exists because of the common thread of playing 4, 6, 8 or 12 strings have on how we treat each other. One of these days I may play well enough to post something for you all to hear, but even if I don't, I will always be grateful that I purchased my J-35, because it brought me here, to this forum, and you folks, that truly care about one another. Thanks. [thumbup]

I'm doing pretty well.

Just sprang my wife from the hospital late yesterday and we make the 400 mile trip home tomorrow. She still has a tube poking out of her tummy and I'm not "right" yet on my left hand, but driving is OK.

Since we're in the biggest city in the state, before I sprang my wife, I found a nice little Yamaha 3/4 size flattop that seems to work very well for the recommend therapy. When I'm back to the 24 3/4 scale, I know a 12-year-old who could use it.

m

Good Lord Milod. I'll pass along a bit of wisdom from my late Father who was not only a Marine in WWII and the Korean War but also a retired Heating/Cooling system installer - "Son.. duct tape will fix anything". He was wrong about that advice but he meant well. So in the spirit and sense of humor of my Dad - wrap you and the wife in some bubble wrap and duct tape here and there and for crying out loud - be careful!!! Damn brother - it's just turning into one heck of a year for you kids out there.

Thank you so much for keeping us updated - take it easy - tell the wife we are pulling for and praying for her too. Leave it to you to be thinking about a 12 year old kid needing a nice acoustic guitar down the road apiece while you're still healing yourself. You're a good man Milod. :)

Leave it to you to be thinking about a 12 year old kid needing a nice acoustic guitar down the road apiece while you're still healing yourself. You're a good man Milod. :)

Cha Ching.......

[thumbup]

Archived