Gibson Brands Forums

Prayers For Milod....

Murph

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well brother seem sickness has hit us all,take your time and do you therapy .

Get back on here and tell us what's on your kind, I miss you writing us.

Get Well Brother

4H

i miss

Thought you guys would like to see this.

Oh hell yes! MILOD!!!!!!!! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

I'm very glad to hear this news. Made my day.. hell made my month!

Pace yourself brother milod - we'll be here waiting for you! Great to read about your progress!!! =D>

Milod,

Hope your recovery is going well and you are getting back to playing again.

Don't know if you have been reading all the posts with every one wishing you the best.

When I had a stroke in 2011, it left me unable to play guitar any more after playing for 55+ plus years.

But what I did to help my recovery was I bought three of the finger exercises ( one light , one medium, and one difficult ) and it helped my finger coordination a lot.

I know what you are going through as I have been there.

Just work your weak limbs as much as you can even if you don't feel like doing it.

The more you use your weak limbs the faster they will recover.

Best wishes, and speedy recovery, BRC

Milod,

Hoe your recovery is going well and you are getting back to playing again.

Don't know if you have been reading all the posts with every one wishing you the best.

When I had a stroke in 2011, it left me unable to play guitar any more after playing for 55+ plus years.

But what I did to help my recovery was I bought three of the finger exercises ( one light , one medium, and one difficult ) and it helped my finger coordination a lot.

I know what you are going through as I have been there.

Just work your weak limbs as much as you can even if you don't feel like doing it.

The more you use your weak limbs the faster they will recover.

Best wishes, and speedy recovery, BRC

BRC, have you been able to get any of your playing ability back?

BRC, have you been able to get any of your playing ability back?

Hi Searcy, unfortunately no. My left hand still has a mind of its own. Did you ever see the movie Dr. Strangelove with Peter Sellers. In the movie his hand will without warning do all kinds of weird things . That's how I feel some times. (Though it's not as bad as in the movie) . My brothers and I have a great relationship and every time I see them they act like Peter Sellers in that movie. It kind of puts a comedy into a bad situation. But the finger exercises really do help. I know if Milod started using them it would help his coordination and also help his fingers and hand get stronger.

It get so frustrating at times because I Know what I want my hand to do, but it just won't do it.

Thanks for asking Searcy.

Bill

Hi Searcy, unfortunately no. My left hand still has a mind of its own. Did you ever see the movie Dr. Strangelove with Peter Sellers. In the movie his hand will without warning do all kinds of weird things . That's how I feel some times. (Though it's not as bad as in the movie) . My brothers and I have a great relationship and every time I see them they act like Peter Sellers in that movie. It kind of puts a comedy into a bad situation. But the finger exercises really do help. I know if Milod started using them it would help his coordination and also help his fingers and hand get stronger.

It get so frustrating at times because I Know what I want my hand to do, but it just won't do it.

Thanks for asking Searcy.

Bill

Hi Bill, that's very sad to hear. Must be incredibly frustrating I'm sure. Best of luck.

As I understand it - admittedly without any real knowledge - a stroke causes a portion of the brain to die (some sort of asphyxiation I assume) impairing its ability to transmit clearly at whatever level of incapacity the survivor suffers - so are the exercises designed around developing muscle memory somehow, or does muscle strength deteriorate in some way and need rebuilding too? its interesting to understand in relation to what yourself, Milo and others (potentially any of us) would be working through. cheers mate.

Hi Bill, that's very sad to hear. Must be incredibly frustrating I'm sure. Best of luck.

As I understand it - admittedly without any real knowledge - a stroke causes a portion of the brain to die (some sort of asphyxiation I assume) impairing its ability to transmit clearly at whatever level of incapacity the survivor suffers - so are the exercises designed around developing muscle memory somehow, or does muscle strength deteriorate in some way and need rebuilding too? its interesting to understand in relation to what yourself, Milo and others (potentially any of us) would be working through. cheers mate.

You are correct about what happens with a stroke. The brain is deprived of blood which carries the oxygen to the brain. If you have a stroke on the right side of you brain, it affects the left side of your body. My stroke was on the right side and it affected my whole left side. I was unable to walk , talk or use my left side for months. It's still an on going recovery .

The exercises actually "retrain" the brain in getting the affected limbs to work again. What a lot of people don't understand is , when they see some one who has had a stroke, they only see the exterior areas that are weak and not functioning. What they don't see are the other areas of the body that are also affected. I still have a difficult time speaking as I lost about 1/2 use of my vocal chords. I sound like the "Godfather" with larangitis. I have a difficult time coughing, sneezing swallowing food. I guess I was luck in one sense in that it affected my left side and because I am blind in my right eye anyway, I was very lucky I did not loose the sight in my left eye. I know what I want my hand , arm and leg to do, but even though I think it in my mind, there is just no reaction to my thoughts.

My doctors say I am the miracle man with every thing I have gone through.

Due to my career in construction, I have fallen many times ( one time it was 7 floors) but that started me having back surgies. I have had 5 back surgies spinal fusion lung surgery, cancer, stroke, plus on going spinal stenosis, spinal scoliosis and severe arthritis in my spine.

Out of all these issues, it was the stroke that put me down the hardest.

Milod needs a lot of encouragement and support because he will get frustrated and at times want to give up on the recovery

Whew! Sorry if I got a little long winded.

Thankyou Bill, that's insightful - encouraging to hear that there are improvements that can be genuinely achieved with therapy. My Grandmother had a stroke probably when she was about 70 and spent the rest of her days - 12 years or so I think - in a wheelchair, never to speak again or be able to do anything much - very sad for a war widow who struggled so hard in poverty even when in good health. That was my only real close frame of reference and it was back when I was just a kid at that. Obviously there's a wide spectrum of degree of impairment and impact. Thanks again, may your recovery continue at pace.

My wife was born with CP which is a lot like being born with a stroke. It's caused by lack of oxygen to the brain during birth. There is a lot of jerking and involentary movments. You can see it in her face. Some days are better than others. She has what she calls "tight" days where her limbs contract and don't want to straighten out. She says the key is to work out. Keep everything moving and keep fighting. She walks 2 miles a day and works out with resistance bands to keep it all together.

Here's a little video she made a while ago.

My wife was born with CP which is a lot like being born with a stroke. It's caused by lack of oxygen to the brain during birth. There is a lot of jerking and involentary movments. You can see it in her face. Some days are better than others. She has what she calls "tight" days where her limbs contract and don't want to straighten out. She says the key is to work out. Keep everything moving and keep fighting. She walks 2 miles a day and works out with resistance bands to keep it all together.

Your wife's final comment is so on the money, it's our own attitudes we must constantly work on in relation to others. With the amazing advances in medical science the experts are finding new ways to improve situations all the time. Thanks too Alicia - an interesting and informative video.

Searcy, the video was so right the money. I saw many things that your wife was doing and struggling to do that I myself have a difficult time doing. For instance typing , I too only use my right index finger, opening a bag of food with scissors, opening a jar. Basically anything that takes coordination of both hands, even the slightest insignificant mundane task.

Thank you both for the video . Some times it's not easy to bring the outside world into your private life.

Searcy - please inform your wife that she is an inspiration to everyone who sees that video. Not only to folks dealing with these diseases and limitations - but to everyone that knows someone who is or may themselves at some point in the future become disabled and have to overcome these adversarial conditions. She's gutsy and tenacious and I admire her greatly for that alone. You sir - are a very lucky man. Thank you for sharing her story with those of us here in your extended family. This forum is profound because of the people who reside here. Thank you.

Some times it's not easy to bring the outside world into your private life.

You are correct Bill and I thank you for your courage as well by sharing your story. I have found that this forum & the many gracious and wonderful people who post here is why I like coming here more than any other forum I have been on. This feels like family which is uber rare on most of today's internet forums. Please know that not only do we have your back but that the administrators of this forum also have all of our backs. Their zero tolerance of trolls & hateful comments help all of us to keep a feeling of family environment here that allows this kind of sharing without fear of people attacking those of us dealing with serious medical issues. As a musician having to deal with any lack of control of one's hand(s) must be extra difficult for you and my friend - keep at it & never give up. I got your back my brother from another mother.

All you folks inspire me. Thank you so much!

You are correct Bill and I thank you for your courage as well by sharing your story. I have found that this forum & the many gracious and wonderful people who post here is why I like coming here more than any other forum I have been on. This feels like family which is uber rare on most of today's internet forums. Please know that not only do we have your back but that the administrators of this forum also have all of our backs. Their zero tolerance of trolls & hateful comments help all of us to keep a feeling of family environment here that allows this kind of sharing without fear of people attacking those of us dealing with serious medical issues. As a musician having to deal with any lack of control of one's hand(s) must be extra difficult for you and my friend - keep at it & never give up. I got your back my brother from another mother.

All you folks inspire me. Thank you so much!

Thank you Rev David Lee and Tman

I enjoy the forum and reading all the posts about new gear. Even though I had to pack all of my guitars, and amps away because I can no longer use them, I still like to see the new gear and what every one thinks about the new guitars,pedals and amps.

I still dabble in guitar refinishing from time to time, but not near as much as when I had my shop in Las Vegas.

One of the posts stated that anyone could have a stroke at any given time. Sad to say but that is so true. I learned more about strokes and heart attacks After my stroke. It's called the silent killer.

I now firmly believe that any one over the age of 40 should be careful and get regular check ups including a wellness checkup.

I now survive on morphine, oxycontin, percocet and a fentanyl patch 24 hours a day.

Believe me, you don't want to go there.

GET YOUR CHECKUPS !

Archived