Gibson Brands Forums

Prayers For Milod....

Murph

I'm doing pretty well.

Just sprang my wife from the hospital late yesterday and we make the 400 mile trip home tomorrow. She still has a tube poking out of her tummy and I'm not "right" yet on my left hand, but driving is OK.

Since we're in the biggest city in the state, before I sprang my wife, I found a nice little Yamaha 3/4 size flattop that seems to work very well for the recommend therapy. When I'm back to the 24 3/4 scale, I know a 12-year-old who could use it.

m

Glad youre doing better Milod. You know i was selling a my old 2 watt roland practice amp late last year when someone offered me an Epiphone SG. The funny thing was i had a 900 dollar Burny and son of gun, that Epi sounded better, stayed in tune longer and really reminded me of a Gibby. Best epiphone i ever played. I kept it only a month, know why? My friend Gloria saw the guitar and said i hope someday i can get one like that for my son Isaac, when he plays his strat he doesnt get into trouble. So, i offered it as a xmas gift, he is 14 and when he saw it he couldnt stop talking about it. So to hear you mention giving back to another youngster warms the heart. Prayers to you and the mrs for better health.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Well now, finally at least found out about what to find out about here.

What a great group we have, have to say first.

Still, MILOD, you were one of my favorite posters when I would spend time "here". And also, you should know, that besides the enjoyment of it, your postings, and the wisdom you share, has often left me with something.

Wishing you the best, and also, for your return to the pages.

And, praying for you, in ways you might not know.

I'm doing pretty well.

Just sprang my wife from the hospital late yesterday and we make the 400 mile trip home tomorrow. She still has a tube poking out of her tummy and I'm not "right" yet on my left hand, but driving is OK.

Since we're in the biggest city in the state, before I sprang my wife, I found a nice little Yamaha 3/4 size flattop that seems to work very well for the recommend therapy. When I'm back to the 24 3/4 scale, I know a 12-year-old who could use it.

m

Hi Milod

I visited today just to make sure eveything was okay and delighted you are feeling better. I emailed to the address I got too.

All the best amigo

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I talk to Milo on a semi regular basis and this is the post I made that Scalsie is referring to.

OK Boys & Girls due to your interest I sent Milo a mail this morning and received his reply whilst I was in the dentist waiting room.

In a nutshell "m" and his dear lady are OK, though she is recovering from major surgery, and of course Milo is still recovering from his stroke. Both are making progress albeit slowly, as you would expect.

Milo tells me he is now doing some volunteer work and that details will be coming when he has more time. He's going back to work half time starting early November but is still not able to resume "picking" properly with his left hand again yet. I'm sure that will come though knowing 'm". He's also working to get his typing back up to speed and I can imagine his frustration at being held back like this. Milo is doing a bit of public relations work just to keep his hand in.....can you imagine how hard it would be for him to sit still?

Anyway from his brief email I can see that the determination is still there and the wit hasn't diminished at all through his trials and tribulations.

Milo, like all of us more mature gentlemen wishes he was 20 years younger~

Amen to that my friend!

Yeah, I'm still wiggling.

My wife is doing quite well after hauling her a couple of times to another hospital some 400 miles away.

The fact that I'm driving well shows that on the important stuff, I'm doing pretty well, although I get tired much, much easier than that early morning May 30 - and as Rob said, wishing I had the steam I had 20 years ago at 50.

So... along with some basic "therapy" to get back, I've been doing some volunteer stuff that helps getting to where a "healthy" 70-year-old should be. Obviously unlike age 50, I'm not doing the 360 jump spin kicks any more.

But, helping with some local community development folks also forces me to work on my typing that's up to around 40 words a minute. Not the 150 of six months ago, but I guess better than some.

And I've done some other volunteer type stuff at the local high schools for regional academic contest judging - and Monday I'll teach a high school art class a bit of photography.

Guitar... it's really going slower than getting back typing. That's likely the most frustrating part. I gave one AE flattop to the college-age daughter of a lady I worked with for about a decade... and plan to give an AE nylon string guitar to a talented young lady music teacher whom I've "covered" as a small town journalist off and on for close to 15 years as she was an active singer and actor through school, went to college and returned to teach.

So... that drops me to around 18 guitars that, given I were still 100 percent, I can't play at the same time.

The caring and prayers of all here on the Gibson and Epi forums should be enlightening to us all; we care about others, for real. I may be showing myself as the prototypical grouchy old man, but I think that's increasingly difficult in an era of instant communications and "friends" we gather only at a push of a button on a computer screen.

I'm also set to go back to work part time the first of November.

Some friends have suggested I should just "retire" and do the stuff I like to do.

But... Writing of my community(s) is much of what I like to do. And I include these forums "my community" as much as the little cowboy town where I hang my hat.

I'll be largely helping to develop a young college grad journalist lady as my major goal, and as years ago I did as a teacher of guitar-playing and music basics.

Each of us, I think, play an important role we seldom recognize, that of passing on knowledge and reasoning skills to others while being an example to others whether we wish we were or not.

Again, thanks for all the care, vibes and prayers.

I'm slowed by lesser typing skills - I used to be able to take dictation and can't come close today - but I ain't leaving this community of pickers of many ages, styles and skills, until the option no longer is mine. And I hope that's not just me, but us all.

m

- and as Rob said, wishing I had the steam I had 20 years ago at 50.

The caring and prayers of all here on the Gibson and Epi forums should be enlightening to us all; we care about others, for real. I may be showing myself as the prototypical grouchy old man, but I think that's increasingly difficult in an era of instant communications and "friends" we gather only at a push of a button on a computer screen.

Each of us, I think, play an important role we seldom recognize, that of passing on knowledge and reasoning skills to others while being an example to others whether we wish we were or not.

Truthfully, I wish I had the steam now at 46 as you do where you are right now.

While it IS true you are cared for, and many here (including me) do in fact wonder how you are and hope things are well, the other truth is we miss you posting here.

I can say for me, there have been times some of the things you have posted has had an impact on my views and the wisdom has come in handy. I am a slightly better man for it.

A little selfish on my part...but know also I realize a guy like you has others looking to him and wanting whatever peice they can get. I don't expect we are the only ones, or even the most important (as what you mentioned already).

Great to read that you are doing better. I'm a relative newcomer here but I have read many of your insightful posts and can tell that you are a good person. At age 63 I'm not too far behind you and I'm struggling a bit with my own physical disability. It's inspirational to me to read about all that you are still accomplishing. Keep up the good work! Stay well.

Marky...

In ways I almost feel guilty... I've been awfully lucky, far more lucky than some other forum members undergoing such as cancer treatment and care/recovery from some unfortunate stuff of various sorts.

Yeah, in a way I feel like there's a shadow over me from the stroke and clogged carotid, but I also have to recall and consider all the much, much younger people who walk out of the house and drop dead from some congenital ill or get hit in a car wreck. We all have that shadow regardless of age or known infirmity.

The correct response, I think, to recognizing our own mortality - perhaps easier the older we get - is simply to live, to contribute to others, and to take what rewards we might, and should, seek to find each day.

m

Thanks for the up date Milod. I am so glad to hear your doing better. I have been thinking of you every day and was concerned about you and Carla. When you said you drove 400 miles, I thought Wow, this dude is improving. And your typing skills may have dropped but 40 is probabaly better then me. I type with two fingers or sometimes just one. Lol It is sad to hear your still struggling on guitar and I know how you love playing. I think of Rob, who can't play at all due to his handicap, and at least your still trying. So it shows progress. I'll be 63 next April, and I'm still struggling. I get very frustrated in trying to play parts of songs I think will never come so I know how you must feel. Looking forward as always to reading your posts Milod. Your an inspiration to me.

Marky...

In ways I almost feel guilty... I've been awfully lucky, far more lucky than some other forum members undergoing such as cancer treatment and care/recovery from some unfortunate stuff of various sorts.

Yeah, in a way I feel like there's a shadow over me from the stroke and clogged carotid, but I also have to recall and consider all the much, much younger people who walk out of the house and drop dead from some congenital ill or get hit in a car wreck. We all have that shadow regardless of age or known infirmity.

The correct response, I think, to recognizing our own mortality - perhaps easier the older we get - is simply to live, to contribute to others, and to take what rewards we might, and should, seek to find each day.

m

I find myself in the "pitty pot" too often. I see what I CAN'T do, like I did for so long, not what I still CAN do. Like you say Milo, MANY MANY are just gone in the middle of a breath. I just finished one of the worst migraines for the last 24 hours I've ever had. Thought I'd come out of my skin. Then it's gone. Left with the shakes, and kind of dumbed down somewhat, but I came thru it. We all just have to work with what we have, try to improve if possible, and have an acceptance where it just "ain't" going to happen. I won't run the 100 yrs. like I did in HS or even at 40 no-more. But I can stay as fit as possible for my age and not give up. Keep at it, your a tough ol' Cowboy and you'll get back more to your old self. Thoughts & Prayers out for your bride and hoping she has as easy of time as possible with treatments & recovery!!

Aster

• 2 weeks later...

Archived