Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KSG_Standard

New Jeff Beck Oxblood LP

How many of ya'll have seen the new Jeff Beck Oxblood LP in the Gibson products section? I like it myself and would love to have one. How in the world can Gibson justify the MSRP on this axe? It's a cool looking guitar, very unusual, but over $8k...seems a little too steep. What do ya'll think?

If the price is $8,000 on gibson.com, the actual sticker price will be under $6,000. It's still steep, but at least it's a little better.

Hey blue, Yorkville is getting two signed Beck signatures...probably in the $20,000 range!

Love the idea and look, but too rich for my blood. :) Now, if it made me play like Mr. Beck, I'd pay 3 times that amount! I like having a stable of horses I can ride, not a bunch that stand around and look pretty. I'd be too afraid to play it much. I guess I'm a broke pu$$y. :)

I like having a stable of horses I can ride' date=' not a bunch that stand around and look pretty. I'd be too afraid to play it much. I guess I'm a broke pu$$y. =D> [/quote']

+1

It's a beauty, but I doubt that it plays or sounds that much different to justify the price for me.

The price of the signed ones seem to be incredibly steep considering there is supposed to be a run of 50 signed. These are aged, so you get a signature and someone to beat it up for you before you get it...I don't get it...

The price tags on the regular run of these seems high also considering they don't seem to be that unique components wise. Then again, if there are only going to be 100 of these then I suppose.

It is a sweet looking axe. Did you notice how close the bridge is to the pick-up cover? That looks sort of weird to me.

it looks like that cus its a one piece bridge, unlike the usual bridge and tailpiece.

I simply don't see what justifies the price of that guitar:

The 1954 Jeff Beck Les Paul Oxblood is the most detail-precise reissue of this hallowed instrument ever produced by Gibson Custom. All of the intensively accurate Custom Shop craftsmanship is there. From the one-piece light mahogany back to the accurately-arched carved maple top to the light aluminum wrapover bridge to the one-piece Beck-profile mahogany neck with long-tenon neck joint. Beyond even these, however, the instrument exudes the vibe of the original, with a feel, sound and finish match that pay homage to Beck’s own modified Les Paul.

Even the pickups, Gibson’s Burstbucker 2 and Burstbucker 3 (neck and bridge respectively) are among the most accurate vintage PAF reproductions that Gibson has ever conceived, right down to the irregular windings from coil to coil and their lack of potting, two ingredients that contribute to an authentic late-’50s and early ’60s humbucker tone.

One piece wrap around bridge and regular old Burstbuckers. The only part that seems to set it apart is the neck profile - sorry, "exudes the vibe of the original" is completely intangible and can't be quantified.

If you're looking for a guitar with Beck's name slapped on it without being anything special, I'd go for the Jeff Beck Strat that sells for between $1500-$1600.

I played one at NAMM

Neck has genuine baseball bat '54 Profile - I have played real '54s and they got that part right. It was Jeff's '54 LP profile that Fender used when creating the 1st gen JB Strat with the "horse leg" neck. I like it - promotes tone, neck feels like a '30's jazzbox.

I asked for the price was quoted $9k for VOS or $11K for the relic.

I told them Id wait for the Epiphone

I see they now lowered the MSRP to $6,800 yesterday

wait - today they raised it to $8300

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Jeff-Beck-1954-Les-Paul-Oxblood.aspx

i think they are playing with locating the pain threshold.

Hey blue, Yorkville is getting two signed Beck signatures...probably in the $20,000 range!

Same deal Tim.....I havent checked my 6/49 yet...Well take a limo to Yorkville and pick up a couple...perhaps a few

09 R9's as well.

Beck is a great guitar player, but there is nothing that would excite me about the guitar; even if the beck name is attached. I really dislike the bridge/tail piece setup.

Beck loved that guitar. Legend has it that a careless guitar tech changed the pots without Becks knowledge.

Jeff picked up on the change as soon as he started playing it...didnt like how it sounded and shelved it.

I wonder where it is now??

it looks like that cus its a one piece bridge' date=' unlike the usual bridge and tailpiece.

[/quote']

actually it looks like that because it is modified from p-90z to HBz. clearly the tech that originally modded it routed out the bottom part of the cavity to make the HB fit. also, i am to understand that it adds some unwanted brightness. definately not a guitar for me even if i could ever spend the money.

i've seen those new oxbloods around in shops...

i have a sneaking suspicion that gibson just took some left over from the custom shop stock and put some dinks and scratches into it... [-(

i've seen those new oxbloods around in shops...

i have a sneaking suspicion that gibson just took some left over from the custom shop stock and put some dinks and scratches into it... :)

I don't think so. That finish does not look that commom to me. I don't think they have lots of those LPs hanging around...

this isn't the first time gibson have released a Jeff beck signature. the custom shop did a run of oxbloods a few years back. my local guitar store (guitarguitar) had one in. It took ages to sell so i was merely suggesting gibson had a few undelivered and distressed the finish and rereleased a distressed version of the guitar. For some reason prebeaten up guitars cost more than new ones :-/

it's not that unfeasible an idea what with the credit crunch and the promotion of recycling. even it was a joke :)

Edit- when i said "new" i was referencing to the guy with the pic, who has one on page one. I should have called it NOS, granted. apologies.

This is my oxblood - had it for about 2 years.

Heavy but what a sweet sounding guitar.

I play it through a blues deluxe

Beautiful axe caleb, I didn't know that Gibson had made them before? What's the story on yours?

It is a sweet looking axe. Did you notice how close the bridge is to the pick-up cover? That looks sort of weird to me.

Here's a quick link for those who haven't seen it Beck - Oxblood LP

have seen Beck's original oxblood? the bridge is actually touching the pup rings.

2479_p56196.jpg

and yeah Gibson made those before(its on their website for a couple of years)but known as the "Oxblood '54 RI" not an official Beck Sig.