Gibson Brands Forums

Some good advice (I think)

onewilyfool

A friend gave me a copy of Johnny Gimble's obituary wherein he shared some of his influences. It was the swing fiddler, Cliff Bruner, who gave Gimble some advise about playing Jazz, or what was called "hokum" by Texas old timers who didn't like it: "Translate what's already in your head". He said, "can you hum it ?" He said, "practice your instrument until you can play what you hum, play what you think, and you'll start branching out and playing some licks" Very good advice I'd say…...

A friend gave me a copy of Johnny Gimble's obituary wherein he shared some of his influences. It was the swing fiddler, Cliff Bruner, who gave Gimble some advise about playing Jazz, or what was called "hokum" by Texas old timers who didn't like it: "Translate what's already in your head". He said, "can you hum it ?" He said, "practice your instrument until you can play what you hum, play what you think, and you'll start branching out and playing some licks" Very good advice I'd say…...

I have to do this.

That is how I have learned my whole life. I will hum or a whistle tune for sometimes quite a while well before I start to goof around with it on guitar. Seems odd that this would be seen as sage advice but I guess these days with all the tab, DVD lessons and such it might come off as something from a by gone era.

Archived